Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Personally, after how sad it was seeing Harrison trying to portray Indy in Crystal Skull, I think it's time for a recast if they're going to have the old characters in the films.

I mean...do we really want to see the current Carrie Fischer trying to portray Princess Leia?

I wouldn't want to see a movie focused on them, but they could be used as cameos to bridge to the new characters.

CinematicFusion

If there is no Star Wars attraction news in the 12/7 announcement, which I doubt there will be, I wouldn't read much into that. Even if this deal has been in the works for a while, Disney is a big company and doesn't change course quickly, so I am not expected any announcements in the near future. Not to mention the deal with Lucasfilm will not be closed by then so they may be reluctant to make any further public statements.

I agree with you...that is why I don't see them fast tracking a Star Wars project. One will come someday but I have a feeling the movie will be out before a e-ticket star wars ride.
Hope I'm wrong.

Disneyfan_76

I'm just happy that George is allowing someone to keep the Star Wars universe alive. I was afraid that it would die with him, based on his prior comments about not letting anyone make any more films after Ep 3.

Maybe we can have a Muppets Star Wars movie.?!?.

Hey, I said it first, "All joking aside... there actually could be a star wars muppet movie, or an indiana jones for that matter..." ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
1. DAK needs an expansion...and they've already got the franchise in their pockets.

But you leave out.. avatar is just an AGREEMENT - which will almost certainly include licensing fees and royalties.. money leaving the mothership.

Avatar licensing dollars aren't spent yet - Star Wars are for intensive purposes.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I hope that nothing from the so-called Expanded Universe will be part of the new movie.
And that the new movie takes place in the timeline of the original episodes either between the trilogies or after ROTJ.

I have seen a few people say this, why do you feel that way? Good writing is good writing, why does the fact that it has already been published make it un-suitable for a movie?

WDWFREAK53

But you leave out.. avatar is just an AGREEMENT - which will almost certainly include licensing fees and royalties.. money leaving the mothership.

Avatar licensing dollars aren't spent yet - Star Wars are for intensive purposes.

Yes, true...but DAK needs something and things are in motion with Avatar.

The comment above was about Avatar being shelved because of Star Wars...and I was more commenting on the fact that Carsland would be shelved before Avatar simply because both parks need expansions and Carsland would be in the same park as Star Wars/Lucasland.

CinematicFusion

This is what has me a tad worried. Ideally, 7-9 should have been done in the 90's when the original cast was still physically able to reprise their roles. Right now I think Hammil, Mayhew, Williams and Daniels have a better than average chance of reprising their roles, but I do not see Ford or Fisher coming back. So where do you go from there? Do you recast some or all of them, do you write around the characters you can not get, do you go far into the future, or do you go the Clue from Tron Legacy route?

They will recast everyone. Only c-3p0 and r2d2 will be in the films. Luke will be much older, in his late 60's and be more of a bit role. At least that is what Lucas stated back in the 70's-80's. Apparently he had a treatment in that yellow note book of his that disney is using as a guide line for the next trilogy. Of course they could recast everyone and the movies could resume 5 years after Jedi? Who knows?
A 4 billion dollar investment....you know Disney doesn't want to screw up the first movie. If it ends up like John Carter, the move will be a disaster!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, true...but DAK needs something and things are in motion with Avatar.

The comment above was about Avatar being shelved because of Star Wars...and I was more commenting on the fact that Carsland would be shelved before Avatar simply because both parks need expansions and Carsland would be in the same park as Star Wars/Lucasland.

It's all assumptions at this point. There could be arguments for StarWars things in DAK too.. SW has exotic animals and environments as well (the same vein Pandora fits). I agree SW is a better fit at DHS - but when talking about spending hundreds of millions on an OUTSIDE franchise while we've just spent another 4 billion, on top of the previous 11 billion in the last 6 years.. its not unreasonable to think there may be questions raised about continuing in that direction.

prberk

Spike-in-Berlin

They will recast everyone. Only c-3p0 and r2d2 will be in the films. Luke will be much older, in his late 60's and be more of a bit role. At least that is what Lucas stated back in the 70's-80's. Apparently he had a treatment in that yellow note book of his that disney is using as a guide line for the next trilogy. Of course they could recast everyone and the movies could resume 5 years after Jedi? Who knows?
A 4 billion dollar investment....you know Disney doesn't want to screw up the first movie. If it ends up like John Carter, the move will be a disaster!

Where or when did Lucas say that? He never said anything officially about any movies after ROTJ, when he was asked about he always answered, that the Saga will be finished with the Return of the Jedi.

Avenger117

I know I'm in the minority here, but is there anyone else hoping we get an Ewok Duffy out of this? there has to be someone else!

BrightImagine

The fact that this happened does not make Leia a Disney Princess. People need to stop saying that because it's making the internet freak out even worse. The Disney people are just trolling the SW people by doing these pics. Anyway....

1971-82=11 years. 1982-89=7 years. 1989-98=9 years. According to this we're overdue. Why is everyone here dismissing 5th gate? It makes more sense than SWW. Like a permanent SWW.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Where or when did Lucas say that? He never said anything officially about any movies after ROTJ, when he was asked about he always answered, that the Saga will be finished with the Return of the Jedi.

This wiki site has some info on it, and refers to an interview for a 1983 book, which I have not read, so I cannot speak for it's validity:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sequel_trilogy

It links to an article that has quotes from the book:
http://www.epinions.com/content_4057571460?sb=1

Reading some quotes from it, there is little direct quote from Lucas, but it is offered up from the person who had interviewed him:
”If Lucas ever decides to take the story further, he will start by going back to a time before Star Wars began. He will then make a sequel to the Star Wars trilogy. Lucas can describe the stories, the plots, and who does what to whom in the three movies he calls the “prequel” to Star Wars..

(The “prequel” she refers to is the trilogy that (now) includes the three films: THE PHANTOM MENACE, THE ATTACK OF THE CLONES, and REVENGE OF THE SITH.)

Ms. Worrell continues: ”But he has only a vague notion of what will happen in the three films of the sequel…In the sequel Luke would be a sixty-year-old Jedi knight. Han Solo and Leia would be together…The sequel focuses mainly on Luke, and Lucas says Mark Hamill will have first crack at the part if he is old enough. ‘If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, ‘ Lucas says,’Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems.. The sequel is about Jedi knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned.'”

This is likely where a lot of the speculation had come from. I know that he walked that talk back a few years ago when the prequils had been released, trying to take away the thought of the "third" trilogy.

FrankLapidus

1971-82=11 years. 1982-89=7 years. 1989-98=9 years. According to this we're overdue. Why is everyone here dismissing 5th gate? It makes more sense than SWW. Like a permanent SWW.

Because they have enough to do with improving the four parks they already have before they even think of adding a fifth. How can you justify a fifth park when Epcot, DHS and Animal Kingdom are all crying out for new additions?

Spike-in-Berlin

This wiki site has some info on it, and refers to an interview for a 1983 book, which I have not read, so I cannot speak for it's validity:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sequel_trilogy

It links to an article that has quotes from the book:
http://www.epinions.com/content_4057571460?sb=1

Reading some quotes from it, there is little direct quote from Lucas, but it is offered up from the person who had interviewed him:
”If Lucas ever decides to take the story further, he will start by going back to a time before Star Wars began. He will then make a sequel to the Star Wars trilogy. Lucas can describe the stories, the plots, and who does what to whom in the three movies he calls the “prequel” to Star Wars..

(The “prequel” she refers to is the trilogy that (now) includes the three films: THE PHANTOM MENACE, THE ATTACK OF THE CLONES, and REVENGE OF THE SITH.)

Ms. Worrell continues: ”But he has only a vague notion of what will happen in the three films of the sequel…In the sequel Luke would be a sixty-year-old Jedi knight. Han Solo and Leia would be together…The sequel focuses mainly on Luke, and Lucas says Mark Hamill will have first crack at the part if he is old enough. ‘If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, ‘ Lucas says,’Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems.. The sequel is about Jedi knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned.'”

This is likely where a lot of the speculation had come from. I know that he walked that talk back a few years ago when the prequils had been released, trying to take away the thought of the "third" trilogy.

Very interesting, thank you very much. So far I was convinced that all details about episodes after ROTJ were mostly made up by the medias or fans, especially as the result of misunderstandings.

paulsboy

I read this earlier this morning. It kind of answers your question. I heard about plans for 9 Star Wars movies long ago, this must be where that came from.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/star-wars-sequels_n_2048830.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

LithiumBill

Oh, I totally agree. But in the same hand, I think the Wizarding World will be very similar. I think it's right up there, at least equal to Star Wars. Just above LOTR. Get ready though, Rowling is not done with that world. She would not have made that comment if she wasn't on to something. Count on her to inject excitement to the series years to come. She is so protective that she won't let it fade. I would also not be shocked at all if she allowed another author to do something in her universe in the coming years. And if she does that, you know it will be the right time and the right material.

Now, none of this is to discredit Star Wars. I happen to agree with you that the HP movies are far below par with the HP books. But ultimately I just think that the two should be able to coexist. Harry Potter is the closest thing we have ever seen to come close to what Star Wars has. And some areas, it has exceeded. I think that is so impressive. And at the end of the day, I love both.
Well said. There is a better place for all of us with COMPETITION between Uni and WDW...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom