Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Atomicmickey

What would likely happen with a new SW film is the same-old same-old: some evil Sith lord will make trouble and some new Jedi will fight him. Haven't we seen that before? Several times? And not just on film, but in comics and books and video games?

Right, tired, boring.

Some evil genius makes trouble and Bond fights him.
Some evil guy tries to get a magical artifact and Indy fights him.
Some teenagers go into the woods and Jason kills them.
Someone tries some nasty stuff and John McClane fights them.
The indians/robber barons cause some trouble and John Wayne fights them.
Vampires show up, and people fight them/fall in love with them.
Two friends for life suddenly fall in love, antics ensue.
Animals talk!
Some evil queen/king/prince tries to take over the kingdom.

There is nothing new under the sun.

The reason we go back, to the same well, I think, was described well by Roger Ebert,
when he said something like, "movies are not about, what they are about. They are
about HOW they go about telling what they're about."

And mark my words, with enough time, a new evil will arise at Hogwarts. Maybe even Voldemort.
And some new Wizard will fight him.

Jimmy Thick

And mark my words, with enough time, a new evil will arise at Hogwarts. Maybe even Voldemort.

Possibly, depends if Rowling needs cash. Her first "mature" book was a failure, if her other titles fail to generate interest, no doubt she will go back to the money maker.

But does it affect Star Wars? Nah, not one bit.

Jimmy Thick- Damn, now Iam getting excited...

CinematicFusion

BTW I really hope that they will NOT repeat the mistake the Harry Potter producers did when they changed the composer of the movies score from John Willams first to Patrick Doyle who still at least used several themes from Williams but then even worse to Hooper, who was already far less talented and finally to that french guy who's name I forgot who was finally rock bottom.

Star Wars movies are only allowed to have ONE composer: John Williams and if they change that I will not watch the movie in a cinema.
on John Williams...
Problem is John Williams will be 81 in February. If they make them every 3 years, he will be 83 for episode 7, 85 or 86 for episode 8, and 88 or 89 for episode 9.
I don't think Williams will make it through the entire trilogy (he might retire) and for that reason he might decline to compose this new set of films.
health would be a concern, so maybe he does the first one and see how it goes for the other films

GLaDOS

You'll see more Potter books. Just without the Potter.

And Voldy won't come back. He's dead as a doornail. JK is much too clever to bring him back

Beholder

Last I checked, it was a ten book series but it has several arcs and is not one continuous story.

Ten boils? Wow. After Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones, and countless other book series, this is daunting. Being broken down into arcs will help. Is the Boba Fett stuff any good. See? Disney makes this big SW announcement, and I'm already looking to purchase some EU SW stuff. The Darkside of marketing.

Atomicmickey

You'll see more Potter books. Just without the Potter.

And Voldy won't come back. He's dead as a doornail. JK is much too clever to bring him back

Yeah, I agree. My point was, things like Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek,
John Wayne, they never really go away. (John Wayne, where are you?)
(don't ask, he'll be starring as a computer generated character soon, I'm sure)

A little tired of hearing how tired Star Wars is.

I could ask my 11 year old, with his shelf of Lego Star Wars toys, his Star Wars video games,
his Clone Wars DVD's, but . . . . nah.

Magenta Panther

Right, tired, boring.

Animals talk!

The reason we go back, to the same well, I think, was described well by Roger Ebert,
when he said something like, "movies are not about, what they are about. They are

Which could indeed happen if Rowling decides she can't come up with something new that's just as good. Which is pretty much the decision Iger made. He has no faith in the artists within the Disney company to come up with something boys will like, so he bought Marvel and now Lucasfilm. There! Problem solved! Screw originality and innovation. Stockholders are scared of those. Out with the new, in with the old. I guess you can't go wrong marketing nostalgia to an audience that's largely made up of baby boomers and their hapless kids...

DisneyJunkie

Found: possible alternate plotlines to the old Star Wars films. Note, however, that these plots may not be to consecutive films, but slightly out of order.

1. Entitled "Send in the Clones", we find out that both Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi were cloned by the same donor, who happens to be a long-lost grandfather of Chewbacca's. This setup up a conflict between the Wookies and the Empire, which becomes the plot to another film titled "Makin' Wookie".

2. In another film, "Hiya, Leia", Princess Leia discovers that her grandfather and Han Solo's grandmother were next-door neighbors on Alderaan, before it was blown up by Darth Vader (in Episode IV). In a wild, galactic battle battle, Luke fights Boba Fett, and we are left with the impression that Boba may be Luke's father.

3. Both Boba Fett and Jabba the Hut were once comrades of Darth Vader, and this is brought out in another film entitled "Yessir, That's My Boba". We find out that Luke Skywalker's lightsaber was once recharged by Boba Fett's father, who we suspect may be Chewbacca. This ties in with the romance between C3PO (who learns he is part human) and Chewbacca's half-hairy sister, Varga (introduced in yet another film "Cut and Droid").

Atomicmickey

Which could indeed happen if Rowling decides she can't come up with something new that's just as good. Which is pretty much the decision Iger made. He has no faith in the artists within the Disney company to come up with something boys will like, so he bought Marvel and now Lucasfilm. There! Problem solved! Screw originality and innovation. Stockholders are scared of those. Out with the new, in with the old. I guess you can't go wrong marketing nostalgia to an audience that's largely made up of baby boomers and their hapless kids...

Yup, I think you've got it. :)

phi2134

Possibly, depends if Rowling needs cash. Her first "mature" book was a failure, if her other titles fail to generate interest, no doubt she will go back to the money maker.

But does it affect Star Wars? Nah, not one bit.

Jimmy Thick- Damn, now Iam getting excited...

If Rowling needs more cash??? Cough...Cough...she has more money than the royal family ...Cough..Cough :)

MKeeler

Disney could easily ramp up interests in the parks with a small start towards a LucasFilm Studios expansion at DHS. A couple of relatively easy retheme with an eye to a larger expansion. Backlot Express to the Mos Eisley Cantina and Sounds Dangerous into a ILM Special Effects Theater Show.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Right, tired, boring.

Animals talk!

Jungian archetypes and the collective universal unconsciousness

Atomicmickey

What about the reverse of this? We've been talking about Iger.

So, from Lucas' point of view, he's looking for a good home to put his children into.
So, they sort of mutually approach each other, but if you were Lucas, or even as an
outside observer, what better place for Star Wars to land than with Disney?
There are many who think that Disney got a great deal, here, price wise. They will
certainly make their money back, quickly.

I just think that, were I Lucas, I'd be glad to hand my "baby" off to a company that
I know can nurture and grow it, long into the future.

So it's not just about Iger . . . and I happen to think that Disney is a great home for Star Wars . . .

culturenthrills

Give Harrison the heroic death of Han Solo he always wanted ... that'd be an interesting introduction to a new trilogy, even though Han is of course my favorite character.

Now that would be a great thing to do in the first film. You have him sacrificing himself to save one of his kids or grandchildren from whatever the new threat they are facing. That would really give it a really emotional story

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom