Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Spike-in-Berlin

The fact that this happened does not make Leia a Disney Princess. People need to stop saying that because it's making the internet freak out even worse. The Disney people are just trolling the SW people by doing these pics. Anyway....

1971-82=11 years. 1982-89=7 years. 1989-98=9 years. According to this we're overdue. Why is everyone here dismissing 5th gate? It makes more sense than SWW. Like a permanent SWW.

Please read this comment from a different thread about the reasons why a fifth gate in WDW doesn't make any sense at all, especially not from the economical point of view. At least not in the next 10 or more years.

"There will be no entire Star Wars Park at WDW because they will not build a fifth gate for at least an entire generation. Actually they would be stupid if they did as long as the parks are all in desperate demand of additions and refurbs. If you build a new park you have to clear a HUGE size of land (far larger than the park itself), then you have to build new streets to the park, parking lots, new bus stops, entrance areas, have to lay new power lines, new sewers, buildings for the CMs, for administration etc., you spend easily 250-300 mio. bucks for all this and you haven't even built ONE attraction so far and it takes about 4-5 years before the new gate opens. You also have to employ hundreds or even thousands of new CMs, because from security to maintenance to rides to shops and restaurants etc. everything needs a complete new staff. If you however instead decide to take the same amount of money to add new attractions to the existing parks you spend all the money for attractions, shops and restaurants ONLY and it takes only 2-3 years. And you only have to employ new CMs for the new attractions. There are at least 3 parks in WDW that are badly in need of expansions and additions. A WS in EPCOT with the last addition during Ronald Reagans presidency for example. MK even after the opening of the FLE still has some areas desperately in need of some attention, e.g. Tomorrowland. And finally how much time does the average WDW guest have for the parks? A fifth park would make it necessary to spend at least a week in WDW (2 days MK, 2 days, Epcot, 1 day DHS, 1 day DAK, 1 day the new park) and not all visitors have the time or the money to do that. So a fifth gate could begin cannibalizing the other parks, people would not visit all parks but only those they are mostly interested in. If however you build new attractions in the existing parks, Avatarland in DAK, Cars Land or/and Star Wars Land in DHS and some new pavillons in EPCOT you would increase park attendance for a much smaller investment without the risks involved in building an entire new park."

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Very interesting, thank you very much. So far I was convinced that all details about episodes after ROTJ were mostly made up by the medias or fans, especially as the result of misunderstandings.
Honestly, to me it just shows how the rumor got out there. If you look farther down in that Wiki, Lucas shoots down the thought of 7-9 quite a few times after that. They show many quotes of him speaking only of a 6 part series. So, for the most part, you are correct that there were not any real plans for futher movies. I'm sure Lucas thought of it a bit back in the heyday, and who wouldn't, but he never really put any major thought into making it happen. Until now, where it seems like there was already forward movement on Star Wars 7, if only to have a bargaining chip in play for the purchase talks.

CinematicFusion

Where or when did Lucas say that? He never said anything officially about any movies after ROTJ, when he was asked about he always answered, that the Saga will be finished with the Return of the Jedi.
I'll look at see if I can find it...it was in the magazines of the late 70's and 80's. Then Lucas stopped that idea in the late 80's. Here is some stuff from wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy

also looks like Lucas has been exploring those notes recently according to Steve Sansweet...

"But after the prequels, George was very clear that his days of making Star Wars movies were over. Little did I know that, behind the scenes and very quietly, George had started to come up with some storylines for at least three new movies set in a period sometime after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. I think the fact that George found so much enjoyment coming up with new ideas for The Clone Wars series spurred him on. He just needed to find the right person – and the right set-up – to carry on the Star Wars legacy.
He found that person in Kathleen Kennedy – a longtime friend, superb producer, and prolific moviemaker – and brought her in as his successor.
When Kathleen held a series of company meeting last month, she made it clear she had accepted George’s offer so she could use Lucasfilm’s great assets to make movies, and was excited by the prospect of working with a new generation of writers and directors. And she dropped broad hints that she’d help bring Star Wars back to the big screen with George there to provide creative guidance. So part one of George’s conundrum was solved."

twebber55

It's all assumptions at this point. There could be arguments for StarWars things in DAK too.. SW has exotic animals and environments as well (the same vein Pandora fits). I agree SW is a better fit at DHS - but when talking about spending hundreds of millions on an OUTSIDE franchise while we've just spent another 4 billion, on top of the previous 11 billion in the last 6 years.. its not unreasonable to think there may be questions raised about continuing in that direction.
disagree to an extent..avatar was all about conservation star wars is not..plus they already have a presence in DHS why not just expand

LithiumBill

If there is no Star Wars attraction news in the 12/7 announcement, which I doubt there will be, I wouldn't read much into that. Even if this deal has been in the works for a while, Disney is a big company and doesn't change course quickly, so I am not expected any announcements in the near future. Not to mention the deal with Lucasfilm will not be closed by then so they may be reluctant to make any further public statements.
Unless this purchase of LucasFilm has been in the making for a while... Maybe they knew that they wanted to expand DHS with Star Wars, and the licensing agreement talks moved to "let's just buy" Lucasfilm...

WISHFUL THINKING?

orky8

Why should it? It could have happened a decade ago but no one will pay for it.

Despite all the hoopla about the deal, Disney still need to pay for all these new attractions based on the franchise. Not something they've had a stellar record of doing in Orlando recently.

The franchise may be up to battling with Potter, but only if they have attractions that are also upto it. Leias Carnival Coaster and Vaders Spinner won't do it.

But, now Disney will retain 100% of the profits from merchandising. 100% of the profits from the new films and new synergies that the rides will create. So, it seems to me, that two things have changed. Disney can now control the synergy - i.e., make new Star Wars films and rides to help cross-promote each other. And, now, they have greater incentive to push these franchises in the parks, because 100% of the light saber sale now goes into the Mouse's pocket.

Spike-in-Berlin

Well said. There is a better place for all of us with COMPETITION between Uni and WDW...

Absolutely! There is nothing more important for us die-hard-WDW fans than a highly successful Universal, that lures away huge crowds from WDW, finally forcing TDO to build something REALLY huge (I don't count the FLE as really huge, over all addition to the MK attraction roster: ONE!) to finally counter WWoHP. Without HP we wouldn't even have the FLE! Remember: Eisner had already several new projects, including *sigh* FIRE MOUNTAIN ready for go when Islands of Adventures opened because they expected an impact on attendance.
The impact on WDW attendance by IOA was zero and Fire Mountain and possibly other great additions (Villains Mountain?) were shelved. We need a successful Universal or nothing changes at WDW. Walt is dead, he was the only one who added attractions to DL just because HE wanted them. Read Jason Surrells books about this topic, it's very interesting.

AMartin767

Disney has purchased a pot of gold. Now that Star Wars is fully their property to do with as they please, it's time to build an expansion/rework at HS ala Harry Potter. Imagine a fully immersive version of the Star Wars universe with attractions, merchandise a... "Cantina" perhaps? ;) Forget about Avatar, this is an established and beloved property to build on. With new films yet to come to bolster this aquisition, Disney has a massive potential in their hands. Wow! The posibilities are endless and thrilling.

GLaDOS

I have to assume we won't hear about SW on December 7th. I hope we do, but I'm not holding my breath.

If we are getting a Star Wars expansion in DHS in the "DHS Extreme Makeover" I would have to assume it will be rolled out with whatever else happens at the D23 Expo.

PeterAlt

Lucas has always comfirmed that he never wrote the storyline further than ROTJ and the existing six episodes. Of course he again could be a liar as he changed to the dark side a long time ago but it is pretty common among the SW fanbase that the existence of nine episodes is just an urban legend.

Wrongo. I have interviews with him from the 80's that clearly explain his plan for 9 films. The third trilogy was supposed to take place 40 years after RotJ and concentrate on Han and Leah's Jedi children, who are now Luke's age of Eps 4. The theme was said to be more science fiction than the other two trilogies. Luke would appear as an old man in eps 9. Hamil had agreed to play this part and signed a napkin committing himself.

It was only in more recent years that Lucas changed his story, saying that there had never been plans, but he was lying!

BrightImagine

Please read this comment from a different thread about the reasons why a fifth gate in WDW doesn't make any sense at all, especially not from the economical point of view. At least not in the next 10 or more years. <see above>

Ok. I can see these points about infrastructure, and I am not going to win here I can tell... but here's my opinion. Star Wars is not a good fit for MK, Epcot or AK (I just can't see the Endor thing brought up here), and I feel that it deserves more space than it currently has at HS. I thought, if Carsland and Avatar both happen, increasing the variety of experiences at HS and AK (and I know that that is a huge if), then two major issues are fixed and there is opportunity for a fifth gate. It cannot be Marvel, logistically, but Star Wars is more than enough material for its own park.

But... upon reading another thread, I changed my mind. Say Carsland does NOT happen and is exclusive to the West... say the entire back half of HS were given over to Star Wars instead... then I would happily change my mind about preferring a fifth park.

I just feel that Star Wars deserves its own enclosed, immersive space. Not a mini land. If that space were half of the current HS... that would be acceptable. :)

Ignohippo

Just imagine all the, ummm, medicinal products Harrison Ford could buy with New Star Wars money! He'd be back if they asked.

I'm thinking they are setting this thing 30-40 years post-Jedi. Previous cast could make cameos and their age / physical condition could be easily explained in battle-scars from the cleanup of the Empire post Emperor.

Personally, after how sad it was seeing Harrison trying to portray Indy in Crystal Skull, I think it's time for a recast if they're going to have the old characters in the films.

I mean...do we really want to see the current Carrie Fischer trying to portray Princess Leia?

Exactly. I don't know that I really want to know what happened to the Original Trilogy characters. I want to remember them as they were at the end of RotJ. I don't want to see them old and haggared. Talk about killing the franchise...

Spike-in-Berlin

Ok. I can see these points about infrastructure, and I am not going to win here I can tell... but here's my opinion. Star Wars is not a good fit for MK, Epcot or AK (I just can't see the Endor thing brought up here), and I feel that it deserves more space than it currently has at HS. I thought, if Carsland and Avatar both happen, increasing the variety of experiences at HS and AK (and I know that that is a huge if), then two major issues are fixed and there is opportunity for a fifth gate. It cannot be Marvel, logistically, but Star Wars is more than enough material for its own park.

But... upon reading another thread, I changed my mind. Say Carsland does NOT happen and is exclusive to the West... say the entire back half of HS were given over to Star Wars instead... then I would happily change my mind about preferring a fifth park.

I just feel that Star Wars deserves its own enclosed, immersive space. Not a mini land. If that space were half of the current HS... that would be acceptable. :)

If they really don't build Cars Land in DHS there is plenty of space in the DHS for a huge Star Wars Land, all they would have to do is demolish areas and attractions which are not very popular either (LMA for example and the incredibly boring Backlot Studio Tour). They don't need most of the studio buildings there because production in DHS was stopped quite some time ago, it's now only a theme park, no active film studio any longer. And after all don't let us forget, the Cars Land in DHS is just a rumor! We all happen to talk about it like Iger has presented it officially on a press conference with a dozen concept art paintings in the background.

powlessfamily4

My daughter and sister are huge fans and were so excited!! I really hope they do a a full on Star Wars land or something on that level. There are thousands of fans out there who will come in droves.

Spike-in-Berlin

Disney has purchased a pot of gold. Now that Star Wars is fully their property to do with as they please, it's time to build an expansion/rework at HS ala Harry Potter. Imagine a fully immersive version of the Star Wars universe with attractions, merchandise a... "Cantina" perhaps? ;) Forget about Avatar, this is an established and beloved property to build on. With new films yet to come to bolster this aquisition, Disney has a massive potential in their hands. Wow! The posibilities are endless and thrilling.

That is exactly what I hope, that they forget about Avatar..and not about Cars Land. Cars is an extremely popular franchise and Cars Land in DCA is a themepark blockbuster. The should not cancel their plans for a DHS Cars Land but instead scrap Avatar. Cars Land is what you could call a "Can't miss"-project. If they build it it WILL be a huge success, skyrocketing DHS attendance. DCA proves it. Avatar is a risk, no ones knows if the future franchise (so far there is just a movie) will stay successful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom