Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

flynnibus

Premium Member
As to interest in getting the old stuff released... while we may no longer have the Lucas roadblock (tho I doubt his handpicked successor would cross him while he's still alive and active)... Disney won't be the ones doing the deal unless something radical happens.

Fox owns the rights in PERPETUITY for the first star wars film. They own the rights (home and movie dist.) for the other 5 until 2020.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

This is why Disney was so focused on making the news about NEW films. That's where the money lies for them.. making new films. The old films are locked down for a long time unless Disney outlies some serious cash again.

ADP2

Not sure if this hasn't been mentioned about the new triology, but most of the storyline for the next 3 movies is already written. I'd assume Disney is going to use that storyline Lucas already created.

Beholder

If film 7 was a bridge that sort of "passed the torch" onto a different (Solo children?) set of characters and actors, then I could see at least some of the principals coming back. I think has opened the door for an exciting continuation of a universe that I thought was just about finished. Much like James Bond or Star Trek, Star Wars has the means to carry on beyond the scope of it's original intent. I'm sure Gene Roddenberry never envisioned the kind of legacy that the original series has spawned, and now George L's baby gets the chance to grow out beyond the six movies and Clone Wars. This is a great time to be a Star Wars fan. This is going to be fun!

Spike-in-Berlin

I hope that nothing from the so-called Expanded Universe will be part of the new movie.
And that the new movie takes place in the timeline of the original episodes either between the trilogies or after ROTJ.

FrankLapidus

Personally, after how sad it was seeing Harrison trying to portray Indy in Crystal Skull, I think it's time for a recast if they're going to have the old characters in the films.

I mean...do we really want to see the current Carrie Fischer trying to portray Princess Leia?

I agree. I love Harrison Ford, growing up as a Star Wars and Indy fan his characters were the epitome of cool to me. But I think if this new series is to have longevity it needs a fresh start with an original story and cast of characters. I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Yoda and the Droids in there somewhere but the original characters' story came full circle for me with ROTJ. I've read a few of the EU books and liked them but personally I would prefer a clean slate for this new series. Although I wouldn't be adverse to a Boba Fett appearance.

WDWFREAK53

True. But why build Avatar and Star Wars?

1. DAK needs an expansion...and they've already got the franchise in their pockets.
2. Star Wars because DHS needs an expansion and fans have been clamoring for this forever.
3. Both appeal to boys...which is a huge help considering that WDW is very Princess-heavy.
4. Completely different parks...

WDWFREAK53

I hope that nothing from the so-called Expanded Universe will be part of the new movie.
And that the new movie takes place in the timeline of the original episodes either between the trilogies or after ROTJ.

I don't know how it could take place between the trilogies because it's called "Episode VII" It would definitely come after RotJ but I'm hoping it is the same continuity.

Spike-in-Berlin

Not sure if this hasn't been mentioned about the new triology, but most of the storyline for the next 3 movies is already written. I'd assume Disney is going to use that storyline Lucas already created.

Lucas has always comfirmed that he never wrote the storyline further than ROTJ and the existing six episodes. Of course he again could be a liar as he changed to the dark side a long time ago but it is pretty common among the SW fanbase that the existence of nine episodes is just an urban legend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom