Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Spike-in-Berlin

Well, I didn't mean that should literally be the name.

I understand, just a working title, but there will be no entire Star Wars Park at WDW because they will not build a fifth gate for at least an entire generation. Actually they would be stupid if they did as long as the parks are all in desperate demand of additions and refurbs. If you build a new park you have clear a HUGE size of land, then you have to build new streets to the park, parking lots, new bus stops, entrance areas, have to lay new power lines, new sewers, buildings for the CMs, for administration etc., you spend easily 250-300 mio. bucks for all this and you haven't even built ONE attraction so far and it takes about 4-5 years before the new gate opens. You also have to employ hundreds or even thousands of new CMs, because from security to maintenance to rides to shops and restaurants etc. everything needs a complete new staff. If you however instead decide to take the same amount of money to add new attractions to the existing parks you spend all the money for attractions, shops and restaurants ONLY and it takes only 2-3 years. And you only have to employ new CMs for the new attractions. There are at least 3 parks in WDW that are badly in need of expansions and additions. A WS in EPCOT with the last addition during Ronald Reagans presidency for example. MK even after the opening of the FLE still has some areas desperately in need of some attention, e.g. Tomorrowland. And finally how much time does the average WDW guest have for the parks? A fifth park would make it necessary to spend at least a week in WDW (2 days MK, 2 days, Epcot, 1 day DHS, 1 day DAK, 1 day the new park) and not all visitors have the time or the money to do that. So a fifth gate could begin cannibalizing the other parks, people would not visit all parks but only those they are mostly interested in. If however you build new attractions in the existing parks, Avatarland in DAK, Cars Land or/and Star Wars Land in DHS and some new pavillons in EPCOT you would increase park attendance for a much smaller investment without the risks involved in building an entire new park.

Thrill Seeker

Ok, so here is what I see that is extremely positive about all of this...

1. New Star Wars films. Episode VIII is gonna be the first of many new Star Wars films coming from the Disney-LucasFilm banner. This of course is a fanboy's dream because of course we'd love to see new movies. It also marks the first Star Wars film where Lucas is only a producer/consultant and nothing more. This means that hopefully the new trilogy will be less like the prequels and more like the originals. It also gives a new group of filmmakers a chance to work on one of history's greatest franchises. Personally I would like to see Pixar guys Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol) and Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, John Carter) take a crack at Star Wars. Stanton especially has a grand vision and those of us who saw John Carter know he can pull off a grand sci-fi movie like Star Wars.

2. Star Wars/Indiana Jones Franchises: Star Wars is of course one of the world's most recognizable franchises in terms of marketing. So is Disney. Combining the two gives you a huge conglomerate. Throw in Pixar, Marvel and the Muppets and Disney has become the leader in sci-fi action/adventure franchises. We also can't forget Indiana Jones, which isn't quite as big as Star Wars, but isn't something to scoff at either. Disney knows how to market the crap out of something and Star Wars is a product they can certainly get behind.

3. Industrial Light and Magic/Skywalker Sound: I'm a little surprised nobody is talking about this being a huge deal. ILM is the leader in blockbuster film special effects and Skywalker Sound is the leading sound studio. Disney owning these two is a huge deal and they can be utilized for all kinds of things, not just films. ILM can be used to create special effects for movies, video games (they are working with LucasArts on Star Wars 1313 right now) and theme park attractions. They did the video for Star Tours, so imagine what they could do for other Disney attractions? (I'm looking at you, Avatar). Skywalker Sound can also be used for a variety of different things.

4. LucasArts: Disney's video game division hasn't be doing so well lately. They've had the occasional hit (Epic Mickey), but they've also had several flops. Acquiring LucasArts and their internal development studio who is responsible for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and the upcoming Star Wars 1313 gives Disney some big guns in the gaming industry. Not only that, but the Star Wars IP always sells for games, so hopefully the gaming division will see a big boost because of acquiring LucasArts.

5. Theme Parks: Ah yes, what everyone on this forum wants to see. The fact is, Disney already had the exclusive theme park rights to LucasFilm properties (except for American Graffiti, a Universal film). Now they can jump through less hoops to expand the LucasFilm properties in the parks, but if they really wanted to expand their presence, they could have before they bought LucasFilm. I do think that Disney is going to want to expand Star Wars especially in the parks considering new films are going to be coming out, but I don't see this to be quite as big of a deal as the above four points. I would guess a mini LucasLand/Star Wars land will get the green light at DHS and probably DisneyLand in Tomorrowland to get approved before Episode VIII is released in 2015. For DHS, my suggestion would be to re-do the Star Tours exterior queue to match the rest of the attraction theme. This includes a major renovation/expansion of Tatooine Traders and hopefully getting rid of the Tatooine theme. Relocate Jedi Training Academy into the ABC Sound Studio (I'm guessing a rename to the LucasFilm Theater would make sense) and expand the show to be an immersive training experience. Lastly, replace the Backlot Express with the Mos Isley Cantina. Have a bar section and an indoor section where you can enjoy your food while listening to the Cantina Band. These are simple changes that can be easily done in a year, maybe even less than that. Throw in some new scenes for Star Tours and you're all set.

So those are my two cents for this whole LucasFilm purchase thing. Personally, I'm very excited to see what the future holds!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We will find out soon enough. Dec. 7th will tell a lot. If we hear nothing of a Star Wars concept in the parks on that date...I don't think there will be a new one.
Disney will concentrate on the new films and point to the newly revamped star tours as its Star Wars presence in the parks.

Dec. 7th will tell.

If there is no Star Wars attraction news in the 12/7 announcement, which I doubt there will be, I wouldn't read much into that. Even if this deal has been in the works for a while, Disney is a big company and doesn't change course quickly, so I am not expected any announcements in the near future. Not to mention the deal with Lucasfilm will not be closed by then so they may be reluctant to make any further public statements.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does this mean that Indy will finally come to WDW?
Why should it? It could have happened a decade ago but no one will pay for it.

Despite all the hoopla about the deal, Disney still need to pay for all these new attractions based on the franchise. Not something they've had a stellar record of doing in Orlando recently.

The franchise may be up to battling with Potter, but only if they have attractions that are also upto it. Leias Carnival Coaster and Vaders Spinner won't do it.

montyz81

What if the Carsland addition was never really going to be themed for Cars, same ride technology and similar layout but for Star Wars. The rumors for Carsland began right about that same time that WDI was out at Skywalker ranch. I am pretty sure that someone posted an idea about RSR ride tech with Pod Racers coverings...awesome. Mos Eisley is in the desert and the Cantina could easily take the place of Flo's diner. Easy to replicate and DL is happy about keeping their CarsLand and WDW gets Mos Eisley. A man can dream right!:D
I like it. To all those that think they should not repeat Carsland, here you go, they don't have to.

lazyboy97o

True, but that has also something to do with DCA's multi-year renovation plan.

It's not like there haven't been any other Pixar attractions during this time. Toy Story Mania, Crush's Coaster, Toy Story Land. But I get what you're saying, Disney should be faster, I agree.
Right, that project was a sort of must. Disney was also forced to announce the project as a package because Anaheim at the time was seriously considering rezoning part of the Resort District and Disney had to show that they were still going to be pumping money into Anaheim. So it wasn't about building the theme parks beyond just fixing something seriously broken and keeping the city happy.

A $200 million Star Wars film will make back its costs over a weekend. A $200 million Star Wars attraction will make back its costs over years in a manner that is nowhere near as exact in its calculation.

CP_alum08

I have zero interest in them making news movies. I was a huge fan of the original trilogy as a kid and sadly lost faith in the franchise when the "new" ones came out. However, hopefully it opens some huge doors for a park presence. As much as I don't like the new stuff I know lots of people do and the clone wars are massively popular. I assume most of what they (eventually) build will aim towards a younger audience meaning that it was play off the cartoon and newer movies but I just hope they can add in some more of the "roots" too.

Atomicmickey

I have to admit, that even if I could make the decision, I don't
think it would be wise to create a fifth gate.

A land, the size and scope of Cars Land--or larger--would be the way to go.
They can always add lands, and as pointed out above, will not require the
addition of infrastructure like roads and such.

So, go for it.

Over in the DHS Cars Land thread, someone has offered the possibility of
Cars Land essentially becoming Tatooine, with RSR becoming a Pod Race.

That's some solid creative thinking, there. Who knows if it's legit?

montyz81

With all the profits that they make from this franchise, they can filter some of it to rebuild the monorail, new cars and extension to look reflect a Star Wars universe theme? Although that may not look good pulling into the Polynesian.

Spike-in-Berlin

My brain is still reeling!!! I woke up this morning and said to my DW "Disney has given me a wonderful Halloween present!!!!"

I would love to see a movie based around Luke as an older Jedi (a'la' Obi One Kenobi in SW) training younger Jedi as the Empire covertly gains back power and influence under the guide of a as of now hidden Sith presence, You really would have to have some of the older characters in it to truly continue the franchise at Episode 7 I would think, otherwise it is just a new telling of stories.

Can we now get our Cantina restaurant?!!?

I would expect the new movie to be placed between the new and the old trilogy, during the Galactic Empire and the Galactic Civil War, not after Return of the Jedi.

Atomicmickey

Considering they are already referring to it as "Episode 7", it's likely that you're wrong.

I'm guessing we'll find out soon enough. They said the treatments have been written, so a vague
description of what to expect should leak out at some point.

Lucas has said in the past that a 7,8,9 trilogy would be about what happens to Luke.
It would be an interesting combination of continuation and/or reboot to recast Luke.
I wonder if Mark Hamill would be up for/have the chops for/even be considered for a
role as an elder Luke in a new trilogy.

Not advocating this one way or the other. I expect that the combined computing power
of the internetz will be put to good use baselessly speculating on this until we know, so I
needed to waste my own brain power and computing energy on it, of course.

Ignohippo

When Walt was first involved with television, the network owners were always after him to create a western, because westerns were popular. Walt resisted. He had no interest in doing what others were doing. He liked to set trends, not follow them. Given that, I find it very hard to believe that he'd be interested in using, much less buying, characters that someone else had already fully developed. He was the polar opposite of CEOs like Iger, who find fully-developed, universally recognized characters attractive; all the creative and financial risks of development have been taken - by someone else. Creativity and the risks that go with it are things to be avoided as far as he's concerned. He's as unlike Walt as you can get. Worse than Eisner, even. Which is why I kinda despise the guy.

As for that Muppet movie, I tried to watch it On Demand, and couldn't get through it. It was PATHETIC. The puppets were going around saying "Nobody likes us anymore! Poor poor us!" and begging for the audience's sympathy. When that poor actor did that rap song, that was enough for me. Jeez. No wonder the thing underperformed financially. Big surprise!

Pixar is the one arm of Disney that still has a measure of Walt's creative spirit. It takes risks. I had high hopes when Lasseter was given such a high position in the company. I don't know why he hasn't made more of a difference. Maybe Pixar is more than enough for him to handle. Bummer...

Your posts don't even make sense any more. I hate change as much as anyone, but you still have to understand this is a different world and Disney is a business. Regardless, I think Walt would have respected Lucas, ILM and Lucasfilm and would have been more than happy to bring it into the Disney fold. Disney controls the output, so it isn't like someone else is coming into the company and taking over.

And, contrary to what Spirit's concerns are, this has nothing at all to do with Walt Disney Studios or their output. The Lucasfilm movies will be in addition to whatever is produced by Disney. And it isn't an admission that Disney are stagnant creatively (which, unfortunately, they are) but more just another source of income.

As for the Muppets, you admit you really didn't want to see the movie in the first place. The movie certainly could have been better, but it was hardly unwatchable. It also did exactly what it was intended to do and brought the Muppets back from the dead.

Spike-in-Berlin

Considering they are already referring to it as "Episode 7", it's likely that you're wrong.

I think that could be just a working title, I don't think they even know by now anything about the new movie. How should they call it if is placed between the existing trilogies? Episode III 1/2? Leslie Nielsen is dead.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I think that could be just a working title, I don't think they even know by now anything about the new movie. How should they call it if is placed between the existing trilogies? Episode III 1/2? Leslie Nielsen is dead.
To this point, they do know about the new movie, because there is a treatment already in place for episode 7, and also a rough outline for the entire new trilogy.
So, Lucasfilm knows what Ep 7 will be, and I'll bet that folks within Disney will as well.
This is going to leak soon I'd bet, at least a rough outline.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I would expect the new movie to be placed between the new and the old trilogy, during the Galactic Empire and the Galactic Civil War, not after Return of the Jedi.

This could be a possibility. This is an area that has been pretty much off limits, there isn't much extended universe material that takes place there. I believe it was being reserved for used in the Star Wars live action TV series that has been in development.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm guessing we'll find out soon enough. They said the treatments have been written, so a vague

Lucas has said in the past that a 7,8,9 trilogy would be about what happens to Luke.
It would be an interesting combination of continuation and/or reboot to recast Luke.
I wonder if Mark Hamill would be up for/have the chops for/even be considered for a

Not advocating this one way or the other. I expect that the combined computing power
of the internetz will be put to good use baselessly speculating on this until we know, so I
This is what has me a tad worried. Ideally, 7-9 should have been done in the 90's when the original cast was still physically able to reprise their roles. Right now I think Hammil, Mayhew, Williams and Daniels have a better than average chance of reprising their roles, but I do not see Ford or Fisher coming back. So where do you go from there? Do you recast some or all of them, do you write around the characters you can not get, do you go far into the future, or do you go the Clue from Tron Legacy route?

erasure fan1

I have zero interest in them making news movies. I was a huge fan of the original trilogy as a kid and sadly lost faith in the franchise when the "new" ones came out.
I see this as a fantastic opportunity for them to make new films. Give the franchise to fresh eyes without the constraints of George Lucas and his stubborn ways. Star Wars has such a fantastic universe so I can not wait to see what some of the great directors out there can do with it. For now though, I think the next trilogy should be set in the knights of the old republic time and focus on Revan, Malak, Bastila Shan... HK-47 on the big screen! Awesome!!! As far as the parks go, I really hope they have a plan for a major expansion for the studios. Keep Avatar at AK but just cut it way back and use the money for Star Wars at the studios.

My only worry is this, Disney isnt what I would call a competent video game maker and Lucas arts isnt that much better. So I really hope they bring in the proper people to revitalize Star Wars and Indiana Jones video game franchises. Both have been pretty lackluster as of late (Indy non existent) and I cant see Disney interactive (as it is now) being able to give Star Wars or Indy what it deserves. All in all I really like this acquisition and I think the unsung part of this is ILM, that will be huge for Disney.

Ignohippo

For a movie to be released as soon as 2015, the script must be complete. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that most of the design work is done as well.

As for Hamill, I just saw him a couple of months ago and he's not aged well. If he could get himself in shape, then maybe. He's never been the best actor, so I'm not sure you'd want to hang an entire franchise on his back at this point. That said, recasting him would be sacrilege.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom