Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

jam814

Disney bought marvel in August of 09....and we have yet to see a marvel ride at any Disney theme park around the world.
On that pace, it will be 2016 before we even hear about a new Star Wars ride at the theme parks.
We still haven't heard concrete news on a marvel ride.

Hope Disney uses this momentum they have and fast track something lucasfilm related into the Orlando parks....even if they just clone the existing Indiana jones ride.

thats true, however disney has had star wars in the parks for 20+ years and have other star wars projects already developed and shelved. Having this history will surly speed things up. when they bought marvel they where in the middle of creating the cinematic universe, there also is not much places state side to put marvel only DL and they where in the middle of DCA expansion. They have since sorted through the Marvel portfolio

CinematicFusion

thats true, however disney has had star wars in the parks for 20+ years and have other star wars projects already developed and shelved. Having this history will surly speed things up. when they bought marvel they where in the middle of creating the cinematic universe, there also is not much places state side to put marvel only DL and they where in the middle of DCA expansion. They have since sorted through the Marvel portfolio

We will find out soon enough. Dec. 7th will tell a lot. If we hear nothing of a Star Wars concept in the parks on that date...I don't think there will be a new one.
Disney will concentrate on the new films and point to the newly revamped star tours as its Star Wars presence in the parks.

Dec. 7th will tell.

Timothy_Q

That was what? Five years between announcement and opening? At that pace a Star Wars land announced tomorrow would open around 2017, with or before Episode VIII. That's not quick.

True, but that has also something to do with DCA's multi-year renovation plan.

It's not like there haven't been any other Pixar attractions during this time. Toy Story Mania, Crush's Coaster, Toy Story Land. But I get what you're saying, Disney should be faster, I agree.

Big Baloo

ILM is included in the purchase of Lucas Film and they made an animated film in 2011. Rango won the academy award for best animated feature and made 245 million dollars worldwide. The film was beautiful looking, Brave quality in my opinion, and I believe that ILM intends to make more animated movies. Could we see ILM, Pixar, and Walt Disney Animation Studio producing animated features for us every year?​

jam814

We will find out soon enough. Dec. 7th will tell a lot. If we hear nothing of a Star Wars concept in the parks on that date...I don't think there will be a new one.
Disney will concentrate on the new films and point to the newly revamped star tours as its Star Wars presence in the parks.

Dec. 7th will tell.

While i would love an announcement that soon, that would be extremely quick. Hopefully starwars expansion takes the place of carsland for the time being. I think merchandise wise SW definitely holds it's own. This should definitively be put on the front burner now. it'll attract the boys and the all those ravid fans. this is the only true potter swatter if there is one. Start the DHS expansion/renovation with this and monsters inc. coaster and slowly expand pixar place. backlot tour can be used for much more than just carsland. while i'd take anything we can get i feel that carsland should stay as DCA exclusive.

taz0162

Expand Hollywood Studios for Star Wars Land, Cars Land, and Pixar. Set it to open 2016 so they can take their time to build it right and a year after they say Episode 7 will be released.

alphac2005

Interesting posts. I don't understand why we have to go down the road of Harry Potter is done, Star Wars is way more important, etc., etc. Harry Potter will endure for children for many, many years. A lot of people seem to forget that the books were massively popular before the movies came around. They are wonderful stories that actually get children engaged in reading and that's a hard job nowadays!

It most likely will be quite some time before there is any fruition of the Lucasfilm buy to theme park additions. You can't have a "Potter-swatter" when the odds are nothing is going to be built for years anyway. If there is a Star Wars expansion, it'll do great, but guess what? Harry Potter can do quite well. AND, we are talking about TDO, and they've done nothing except nearly fail at everything the past many years.

My question is: How much will theme park passes now go up due to this purchase? The fact that the company now owns a money printing machine like ILM and Skywalker Sound and they were almost thrown into the deal (fiscally speaking), that's a heck of a business move.

DocMcHulk

Disney bought marvel in August of 09....and we have yet to see a marvel ride at any Disney theme park around the world.
The difference is that Disney didnt have much of a relationship with Marvel prior to the purchase. Disney has a long history with Lucas and probably has a lot of ride proposals sitting on the shelves.

SyracuseOrange

Not in WDW... Now a 3rd gate in California that features Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar could work... they could call it Intellectual Property World.

Haha...I've been thinking about what a park could be called that featured several lands dedicated to franchises (in my head it was Avatar, Pirates, Star Wars, and Cars) - the best I could come up with was Franchise Kingdom ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom