Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

riverscu0m0

Starwars land would be 100x cooler than Avatar land. Let's face it the star wars franchise is one that will probably never die down and Avatar had a very short lived hype, honestly the better choice to me would be to go with Star Wars theming over Avatar any day. I understand that it's not as easy as I'm making it sound of course, but wishful thinking!

DisneyWall-E

Just got off of work. And, I thought I would throw out another WOAH!!!!
I am all sorts of excited for what this can mean for the parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But the same reason you would give props to Iger for getting them you have to look at the flipside and that says 'we can't create compelling product at all anymore, so we have to buy it wherever and whenever we can' ...

Well when they claim they will make the money back in 2015 (only two years)... how could you not?

Even if you take it purely as a strategic move for shareholders... it's almost a no brainer. Without any creative, it still positions Disney has a 'GE' in the media space.

I found it interesting in the PR they referenced Lucas's revenue back in 2005(!!!) when the last film was released instead of more recent revenue numbers. They obviously are less than 500 million.. and I've seen a reference like $142 million

GeorgiaPinesRJB

After hearing the news...
darth_vader.jpeg

"Impressive....quite impressive..."

WDW1974

Do you think this curtails Cars Land being brought to DHS or could it happen alongside a possible Star Wars expansion?

Don't know what to think. Need to catch up with some folks and also read more of the real hard news coverage. But one does NOT preclude them both happening at all.

SyracuseOrange

Either in an expanded DHS, or another park around the world, what LucasFilm attractions can you invision (or dream of) that Disney could add over the next decade?

devoy1701

No, absolutely not.

How tough is it to make these deals when you can get the price you want? What fanboi wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Pixar ... on Marvel (OK, this Spirit here!) ... or on Lucas?

But the same reason you would give props to Iger for getting them you have to look at the flipside and that says 'we can't create compelling product at all anymore, so we have to buy it wherever and whenever we can' ...

I hear what you're saying. Tongue in cheek from me, I'll give him kudos for this acquisition, as I think it's a better fit that Marvel, but I'm right there with you with the need to grow/create product, characters, and stories from within. I want to see Tron be successful, or another franchise like PotC become wildly successful (albeit not milked for everything it's worth and become saturated with 4 movies within 10 yrs). You know that I'm an Eisner man, always will be, and in a poll of my personal opinion, Iger doesn't come close to to being considered as good of a CEO as Eisner was, but with his line of acquisitions and what he's done to grow the base of the popular character franchises for the company, Iger is going to go down as a successful CEO (maybe moreso than Eisner)?). I wouldn't be surprised if this stock hits $75 in the next 12 months after the market dissects this news.

rnese

As far as the 7th movie, I'd like to see them think more along the lines of the new Batman trilogy. They don't necessarily have to create a new story, simply do a better job of telling the last three!

Bolna

One thing to throw water on the droolfest ...

The thing is Disney will have to move quickly to capitalize on this from a parks perspective. ... They can't plan things for 6-8-10 years from now ... they need to pull a UNI and start building ASAP and go from there. They haven't shown they have the ability to turn around quickly and get a project moving (although there are MANY Star Wars and some Indy concepts that have just collected dust that may get looked at with new eyes). This isn't the Disney that buillt EPCOT Center from start to finish in three years. This is the Disney that takes five to build something as tiny and non-earthshaking as the Fantasyland 'expansion'.

So - you say quick. What about those plans we all looked at a few days ago which have no indication as to what theme they might have. Could those be Star Wars instead of Avatar as we all thought? It seems odd to have another Star Tours version as that Soarin type ride is nothing else. But it does seem a little suspicious...

karl75

this is without a doubt more exciting than the marvel buyout. just hope that they don't waste this opportunity on just M&G's.

SyracuseOrange

So - you say quick. What about those plans we all looked at a few days ago which have no indication as to what theme they might have. Could those be Star Wars instead of Avatar as we all thought? It seems odd to have another Star Tours version as that Soarin type ride is nothing else. But it does seem a little suspicious...
I thought of that too, but two screen-based attractions for one franchise seems odd (especially since Star Wars would probably go in DHS and thus the two attractions would be in the same park.)

SirLink

One thing to throw water on the droolfest ...

The thing is Disney will have to move quickly to capitalize on this from a parks perspective. ... They can't plan things for 6-8-10 years from now ... they need to pull a UNI and start building ASAP and go from there. They haven't shown they have the ability to turn around quickly and get a project moving (although there are MANY Star Wars and some Indy concepts that have just collected dust that may get looked at with new eyes). This isn't the Disney that buillt EPCOT Center from start to finish in three years. This is the Disney that takes five to build something as tiny and non-earthshaking as the Fantasyland 'expansion'.

Wasn't WDI not to long ago up at SkyWalker Ranch though?

WDW1974

Again I agree with you...Buttttttt given the chance to buy Lucas and passing on it (for this price) would have been the dumbest thing he ever did.....bar none.

I dunno. And I need to head back to the real world (so that likely means 34 pages added tonight that I won't have time to wade thru) BUT ... just because it was a good price doesn't mean you have to buy. There were great prices on fish at the supermarket but I don't eat it, so I didn't need it. Did Disney really need this? Take your fanboi pants off (oops, bad word choice) and ask yourself that. Were there other potential buyers? None that I've heard (not that there couldn't have been, but i doubt it). Four billion dollars still is a (blank)load of money.

I actually think this may well be the best deal Iger will wind up having done (after Pixar), but it's going to take many years before we know.

One thing we do know: Disney can't put out a worse Star Wars film that Lucas can himself!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom