Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

justavoice

Wasn't she mentioned as a possibility for future CEO of Disney? Did Iger just buy his replacement?

Would not be a bad replacement. Founding member of AMBLIN, probably second biggest producer behind her mentor, Steven Speilberg. What I think might be interesting is her knowledge from live action movies, animation that Lucas was doing with clone wars and then merchandising. She is sharp and if Iger and her get along, she can be a HUGE asset.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I just wonder what Cameron thinks of the deal in general. And I'm sure he's been aware they've been talking. Perhaps, this was what enabled Disney to strong arm him into agreeing to a two-attraction Pandora and not a three attracton land.

So much to ponder ...

That would make sense.... well, if you won't budge, we'll just add a Star Wars to DAK instead... I'm sure that light a fire under Cameron's butt

Monkee Girl

Don't know if this has been posted yet...but I wonder if Disney would give us the Original Trilogy, untouched on DVD and Blue Ray. I feel bad saying it but I almost wanna sing 'ding dong the witch is dead' with the idea Lucas could be out of this. I know they are his movies and all and I thank him for giving me so much joy with Star Wars, but he didn't get a little nuts and it's time for some fresh things to happen. I dunno, I can dream.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Would not be a bad replacement. Founding member of AMBLIN, probably second biggest producer behind her mentor, Steven Speilberg. What I think might be interesting is her knowledge from live action movies, animation that Lucas was doing with clone wars and then merchandising. She is sharp and if Iger and her get along, she can be a HUGE asset.

"If she can be turned, she could become a powerful ally..."

Rose Marie

Saw on the WSJ that the price is really just what the Star Wars franchise worth... everything else (Indy) is just icing on the cake. :eek: This is a real steal.

If they want the Star Wars film in 2015 it needs to go into production now.

justavoice

I think he's looking at the Disney stock he gets in the deal and how it could easily net him that much in about 5 years. But who knows what he's thinking anymore...
Not trying to get political but also maybe with current tax to what future capital gains would be sparked the rush to conclude deal. Just a thought but consider 23% of sale could have been additional tax. George is many things but he is not a dumb business guy.

NADisney

I just saw it on our local news here in Louisville, Ky. LOL.... I Warpspeed to here, and couldn't beleive how fast the thread has gott'n.

WDW1974

Did Iger just erase all the "bad" that could be said about his tenure with this trump card? I know this is another acquisition...but this is the right acquisition for once. Wam, Bam, Thank ya Ma'am (er...man...Weatherman...)

No, absolutely not.

How tough is it to make these deals when you can get the price you want? What fanboi wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Pixar ... on Marvel (OK, this Spirit here!) ... or on Lucas?

But the same reason you would give props to Iger for getting them you have to look at the flipside and that says 'we can't create compelling product at all anymore, so we have to buy it wherever and whenever we can' ...

disney fan 13

Wasn't a fan either. I would prefer the new movies to be not associated with the EU stuff. Let them stand alone. HOWEVER, I would LOVE for a post Jedi cartoon series. Put the EU books to cartoon format like they did for clone wars. Heck, they could possibly get Mark Hamil to voice Luke, who knows...

Eh... I could see them doing that with JJK/YJK but anything else would be completely stupid.

flynnibus

Premium Member
2nd to Eisner or the Steve Jobs trust?

That's quoted from a news article.. but if it's 2 billion in shares.. at $50 per share.. that's 40 million shares. Iger only has 1.1 million shares... and is listed as the top individual shareholder. The Steve Jobs Trust holds over 137 million shares...

This WSJ piece claims Lucas will be the #1 individual shareholder. Assuming all the shares won't goto Lucas alone.. 40 million is still way more than any other individual :)

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-inte...ookie-lucas-becomes-a-big-disney-shareholder/

captainkidd

People seem to be overlooking a vital part of this deal. Forget about Star Wars, Disney now has also acquired an even bigger Lucas property:

howardtheduckser1artpic1.jpg

GeorgiaPinesRJB

No, absolutely not.

How tough is it to make these deals when you can get the price you want? What fanboi wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Pixar ... on Marvel (OK, this Spirit here!) ... or on Lucas?

But the same reason you would give props to Iger for getting them you have to look at the flipside and that says 'we can't create compelling product at all anymore, so we have to buy it wherever and whenever we can' ...

You make a good point, but the recent Disney films have been pretty good and Wrekc-It Ralph looks amazing! If Disney continues doing the kind of movies they always do while exploiting other markets (for boys mostly) with Marvel and Star Wars...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom