Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

flynnibus

Premium Member
Part of the acquisition when Disney bought Marvel was that Universal would keep the park rights to Marvel on the East Coast. Disney is free to do with what they want with Marvel in the parks in Anaheim, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Paris though.

Not so much 'part of the acquisition..' but rather it was a pre-existing deal that neither Marvel nor Disney as the acquirer had any out to nullify the existing deal. It was baggage Disney just had to accept.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Not so much 'part of the acquisition..' but rather it was a pre-existing deal that neither Marvel nor Disney as the acquirer had any out to nullify the existing deal. It was baggage Disney just had to accept.

True. Either way, Universal has the park rights for Marvel in Orlando.

Turtle

Since Disney will could be building a Star Wars land in the future. Who would win in rides and merchandise?! Discuss!

FrankLapidus

I wonder what this means for the Studios makeover (I'm certainly even more convinced it will be big and impressive) and what it means for Iger's timeline for leaving.

Do you think this curtails Cars Land being brought to DHS or could it happen alongside a possible Star Wars expansion?

Dasnowz

Not having read all 14 pages I am curious s anyone seen reference to lucasarts being included? wonder what will happen to the games over there if its not

John

No, absolutely not.

How tough is it to make these deals when you can get the price you want? What fanboi wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Pixar ... on Marvel (OK, this Spirit here!) ... or on Lucas?

But the same reason you would give props to Iger for getting them you have to look at the flipside and that says 'we can't create compelling product at all anymore, so we have to buy it wherever and whenever we can' ...

Again I agree with you...Buttttttt given the chance to buy Lucas and passing on it (for this price) would have been the dumbest thing he ever did.....bar none.

lobelia

Talk about the ultimate head fake.....here's some leaked blue prints for something we might build in DAK. Talk among yourselves. Oh by the way we are buying STAR WARS, the world in which many of us dreamed of being in as kids, played as characters and stood in line to see.

WDW1974, I do understand your point in that Disney is buying creativity though. But seeing this fantasy world come to life could rock.

SirLink

I just wonder what Cameron thinks of the deal in general. And I'm sure he's been aware they've been talking. Perhaps, this was what enabled Disney to strong arm him into agreeing to a two-attraction Pandora and not a three attracton land.

So much to ponder ...

I mentioned this 20 minute ago in the other thread kind Spirit. It makes you wonder though! So the over under on more Star Wars in DHS expansion.

jdmdisney99

Don't have time to read the thread, but as a Disney fan I dislike this move (not that it isn't good business wise). Disney still has a toxic creative culture and this just shows that Iger has never been interesting in fixing Disney's heart. Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm have all been acquired to fill ulcers within Disney without any real medicine. It's a great strategy so long as these entities remain free of the Disney poison, and its a poor long term strategy.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing..."

Dukeblue1227

Overall extremely extremely happy about this... This is great news!

Though not entirely looking forward to when they start Mass Marketing this worse than PoTC and signing on Johnny Depp to play Jack Skywalker......

WDW1974

One thing to throw water on the droolfest ...

The thing is Disney will have to move quickly to capitalize on this from a parks perspective. ... They can't plan things for 6-8-10 years from now ... they need to pull a UNI and start building ASAP and go from there. They haven't shown they have the ability to turn around quickly and get a project moving (although there are MANY Star Wars and some Indy concepts that have just collected dust that may get looked at with new eyes). This isn't the Disney that buillt EPCOT Center from start to finish in three years. This is the Disney that takes five to build something as tiny and non-earthshaking as the Fantasyland 'expansion'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom