Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

disney fan 13

It is a GREAT deal for Disney at that price. Lee and I discussed the rumours recently (and as he says below) the figure we had (and was talked about) was well above the price Disney got.. Much like with Muppets and Pixar, they're buying properties that are already part of the fiber of their P&R business.

Versus a deal with say Marvel, the fit is a great one. BUT ... you are absolutely right, this seals the coffin that Disney itself will be creating any new compelling product that isn't from one these BRANDS and that's sad for a company that has been so trendsetting.

I wonder what this means for the Studios makeover (I'm certainly even more convinced it will be big and impressive) and what it means for Iger's timeline for leaving.

Yeah, as we talked about I thought he'd be pushing for $8-10 billion. ... I dunno, though, when it seems too good to be true ...

Wish you could have mentioned that earlier...

Stevek

Seems like a no brainer that Disney now has two major properties to build a 5th gate around. Can you imagine a park featuring SW, Marvel and if they could work out a deal, Indy? I think adding a SW land or Marvel land to any park is thinking too small. These franchises are too big not to build something bigger.

PurpleRose

You're going to need to use the Jedi Mind trick to get Ford to ever play Han Solo again.
Shhhh....let me have my warm fuzzy thoughts for a few minutes. I know, but a girl can dream.

Oooh, I think that he might for the right bit...even if it is brief. My mind is spinning with ideas (which I can't share for fear of spoilers to others)

Mawg

I'm sure Underworld is now gone (sadly...)

As for the Movies I'd say let em watch the original trilogy :).

They've seen them, but there is something about taking them to see a new one in the theater and the cheering when the opening storyline starts to roll. Something I remember fondly when my dad took me to Return of the Jedi.

Rose Marie

I know that the reaction to Disney buying Marvel was tepid (and look how that turned out) but this is really exciting news. Star Wars and Indiana Jones have multiple generations who grew up with the franchises and are proven classics. Really surprised about Lucas giving up his baby but maybe he wanted to needed more cushioning on his bed of money. :eek:

Plus, since Episode 1-3 essentially torpedoed the legacy of Star Wars, Disney can't do much more harm to it. Right? RIGHT?
ZhaTJ.jpg

MEESA SO EXCITED TO GO TO DISNEY WORLD!

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Seems like a no brainer that Disney now has two major properties to build a 5th gate around. Can you imagine a park featuring SW, Marvel and if they could work out a deal, Indy? I think adding a SW land or Marvel land to any park is thinking too small. These franchises are too big not to build something bigger.

Marvel can't be in any park east of the Mississippi...

John

Sp
It is a GREAT deal for Disney at that price. Lee and I discussed the rumours recently (and as he says below) the figure we had (and was talked about) was well above the price Disney got.. Much like with Muppets and Pixar, they're buying properties that are already part of the fiber of their P&R business.

Versus a deal with say Marvel, the fit is a great one. BUT ... you are absolutely right, this seals the coffin that Disney itself will be creating any new compelling product that isn't from one these BRANDS and that's sad for a company that has been so trendsetting.

I wonder what this means for the Studios makeover (I'm certainly even more convinced it will be big and impressive) and what it means for Iger's timeline for leaving.

Yeah, as we talked about I thought he'd be pushing for $8-10 billion. ... I dunno, though, when it seems too good to be true ...

Spirit, when you think about it....it will end up being way more then 4 Bil.....it mentioned that half was cash and half was stock. If Disney does this right.....that stock will be worth much more in say....ten years.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I think he's looking at the Disney stock he gets in the deal and how it could easily net him that much in about 5 years. But who knows what he's thinking anymore...

WDW1974

Stealing this from the CAMERON THREAD, but the proposed motorbike coaster that got axed... SPEEDER BIKE COASTER??

I just wonder what Cameron thinks of the deal in general. And I'm sure he's been aware they've been talking. Perhaps, this was what enabled Disney to strong arm him into agreeing to a two-attraction Pandora and not a three attracton land.

So much to ponder ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom