Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

lazyboy97o

Exactly right. I've read the contract and it's tight. I just only see two of the three happy with this arrangement.

Marvel doesn't care who owns their rights as long as it's high quality stuff.

Universal likes it because they've got powerful IP.

Disney, they get cash. The cash comes at the cost of the Mega Brand continuity. Iger's mantra has been brand first. Is this really the arrangement they want?

I'm just not sure...
Theme parks are at the very bottom of the obsession with brand.

Well this isn't really an attraction, it's a store that's selling Disney's product, so I can't imagine they mind that too much, they also have Marvel product in their Disney Stores as well a Marvel store going in at the new Disney Springs . Plus these the statues of Thor and Captain America are from the first movies, which were produced by Paramount before Disney bought Marvel. There was some overlap with Disney and Paramount's ownership for the first Avengers movie and Ironman 3 because those films began pre-production while Marvel Studios was still owned by Paramount. Disney now owns Marvel outright except for the film rights that 20th Century Fox has for X-men, Fantastic 4, Deadpool and few others, and the weird "lease" situation they now have with Sony for Spiderman. I'm pretty sure any future Universal theme park projects have to go through the now Disney owned Marvel
Paramount never owned any part of Marvel Entertainment or Marvel Studios. And how projects get approved is clearly in the contract.

WDW1974

Thanks. What can I say? I'm drawn to Marvel contract threads like fanbois to the Orange Bird.

Good to see your sense of humor remains. Hope all is well in your world. ... And fanbois have now moved to wall carpeting on monorails, fake grass in the new and horrible Hub and Tiki mugs from Trader Sam's Weak Drink Grotto and CM Clubhouse.

WDW1974

If this thread proves nothing else, it's that you can have a bunch of people throw around acronyms like IP, but it doesn't mean that they have any understanding of how business operates. It never ceases to amaze me of how little lots people have when it comes to Business 101 and then start to float absurd theories out there. If you think that Universal would cede Marvel properties currently at Universal to Disney, then it's obvious that the world is flat. Ugh.

You DO realize that much like FOX News, people argue about FACTS here, right?

The Hulk coaster will be coming to EPCOT and Spidey is moving to Disney-MGM and UNI will pay Disney for terminating the contract that lasts FOREVER (in legal terms) and then transform MSI into Gotham City. And Disney will then spend $10.1 billion on building a Marvel/Lucas fifth gate outside of Flamingo Crossing. You just have to believe!

WDW1974

Nah, you don't mind at all. You've done it before.

I tend to give credit where it is due no matter who is posting it. I don't look at the who before I click the 'like' button, but that's just me ... besides, I am loved here. I am like the Sally Field of MAGIC.

Now, now, you needn't resort to name-calling like a schmuck!

Well, we can all be schmucks from time to time ... some certainly more than others (OK, I admit that I was looking at a certain member when I said that!)

I'd like to think that being a schmuck can be a temporary affliction versus proud ignorance, which tends to be more long lasting (long lasting and schmucks in a post, I wonder whose feelings will get upset about that!)

As long as you don't say it in a petty or petulant ;) manner, people should respect that. And I think most do when it's coming from you.

Ah, better to be respected than loved. ... Alas, the younger, fatter, British Craig Ferguson is on now on CBS and one of his guests is married to Starlord. Yeah, the guy who hangs with Groot and the talking '!

EDIT: What has happened with words on this site getting censored. I used an abbreviation for raccoon and it is starred? You can't even use two words of Disney Legend 'Van's' name?!?! Methinks too many people are easily offended and too much was done to appease them.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Let's be honest: we are never going to see a comic book themed attraction stylistically based on works like The Killing Joke or Watchmen.
Or Maus. 1986 was a GREAT year for comics. Watchmen always makes me think about 1986 since it was one of those great comics that year. Sorry to go off topic a bit.....

Mike S

You DO realize that much like FOX News, people argue about FACTS here, right?

The Hulk coaster will be coming to EPCOT and Spidey is moving to Disney-MGM and UNI will pay Disney for terminating the contract that lasts FOREVER (in legal terms) and then transform MSI into Gotham City. And Disney will then spend $10.1 billion on building a Marvel/Lucas fifth gate outside of Flamingo Crossing. You just have to believe!
image.jpg

matt78

Marvel in Islands of Adventure isn't going anywhere. Hulk will be getting retracked and upgraded, as well as possibly rethemed. Doctor Doom is either being demolished in favor of a new ride, or being upgraded while a new ride is built on presumably the Toon Lagoon theater spot. The land will also receive thematic upgrades throughout.

Would they really demolish Doctor Doom. Couldn't they just move it to Krustyland and re-theme it to the Death Drop ride in the cartoon version of Krustyland?

GLaDOS

Would they really demolish Doctor Doom. Couldn't they just move it to Krustyland and re-theme it to the Death Drop ride in the cartoon version of Krustyland?

I mean, if we were playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, sure. :p

Realistically I'm not sure there's room in Krustyland for that, unless you're talking about the area behind it where the HHN tents are. And in that case, that land is far too valuable to use on an old ride that isn't really all that great to begin with.

matt78

Exactly right. I've read the contract and it's tight. I just only see two of the three happy with this arrangement.

Marvel doesn't care who owns their rights as long as it's high quality stuff.

Universal likes it because they've got powerful IP.

Disney, they get cash. The cash comes at the cost of the Mega Brand continuity. Iger's mantra has been brand first. Is this really the arrangement they want?

I'm just not sure...

Pretty sure Iger's all about the money and doesn't care where it comes from.

tl77

Paramount never owned any part of Marvel Entertainment or Marvel Studios. And how projects get approved is clearly in the contract.

Universal has had the theme park rights to Marvel's "Comic Book Illustrations" since 1999, if they've also had the rights to Fox's cinematic depictions of the 8 X-men, and 2 Fantasitc4 "movie" characters, Sony's 5 Spiderman films, and the PARMOUNT Disney Marvel produced characters, what has Universal been waiting for the past 15 years? maybe they've been saying up their money to but THE COPYRIGHTS for those Cinematic depictions of those multi-Billion dollar franchises that each of those Studios own, ya think that might be it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom