Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

GLaDOS

Funny thing is, like 74 has said, these same Disney fans wouldn't know who the Avengers were if Disney didn't purchase Marvel several years ago. And they wouldn't be clamoring for them to be in the parks now.

And we all know, if Disney did ever get the rights for WDW, the most they would do is a meet and greet, not an E ticket or entire land. Heck, maybe they would toss in a DVC cart just for kicks.

This is true. I'm sure there's some angst that the "other guys" have "their" characters. I just hope that once Marvel Superhero Island is brought up to the new Universal standard that some of these people give it a shot. Maybe they might like it!

H2O_Mouse-Ears

Reading some of the incredibly naive posts here regarding what an ironclad, in perpetuity contract means as I eat a dry chicken sandwich.

I'd point out the example of the 700 Club on ABC Family, but the people who can't/don't/won't understand would not get that either.

I also get a kick out of reading a post talking about everyone losing under the current arrangement. Where does someone even come up with a conclusion like that?!?!

The facts are EVERYONE -- that is Disney, Universal, Marvel -- are winning (insert Charlie Sheen reference). They are all making boatloads, cruise ship loads, destroyer loads of money under the current agreement.

As near as I can tell, the only ones 'losing' in this deal are whiny Disney fanbois who are upset that Universal holds all the cards in the deck when it comes to theme park rights and that they'll have to go to IOA to experience the characters (characters that many didn't even like before December of 2009 anyway). They can ride Spiderman ,which is still one of the best family themed rides of all time, when they are there ... and then go 'home' to Disney and cavort in the Casey Junior Play While You Pee Fountain.

It's really that simple. Not only is the current agreement good for Marvel, it's good for everyone. Those deals are very hard to come by these days.
While I agree with what you are saying, I do believe that Universal has been doing the most winning out of this Marvel-UNI agreement since Disney-Marvel success with MCU most likely increased the popularity/interest of Marvel Superhero Island exponentially. I am sure merchandise sales at the park helps Disney, but I think UNI definitely got the longer end of the stick here.

Mr. Peabody

Well said. There's one place I disagree. You've been making the point that Disney is blurring the lines between Marvel and Disney. Marvel at Universal is in stark (no pun intended) contrast to this vision. If Disney really is going by this strategy, which seems likely, it does have a strong incentive to have them at their parks. Only their parks. It's like having a Frozen Ride at Universal. Not part of their vision of a singular unified mega "Disney" brand.
That doesn't matter. There is no realistic offer that Disney could make to coax Universal into ending the current deal. Disney knows this, so they're perfectly content with just collecting the annual fee from Universal. They are not pursuing these rights at all.

Captain Chaos

This is true. I'm sure there's some angst that the "other guys" have "their" characters. I just hope that once Marvel Superhero Island is brought up to the new Universal standard that some of these people give it a shot. Maybe they might like it!
Doubt they will. They would feel like a cheating spouse, or like they are committing some form of heresay, or that Disney will send their drones out and blow up their cars on I4. Or even worse, DISNEY MAY BAN THEM FOR LIFE!!!

Little side story, in Oct 2013, when I went down to Orlando with my brother, we were heading over to Universal one day, leaving from BLT. Stupid me failed to rent a car, so taxi it was. The front desk made the call for us, which was awesome. Wen went outside to wait. One of the attendants over at BLT asked if she could help us. I mentioned how the front desk had called for a taxi for us and we were just waiting. She aked where we were going. I said Universal. She said, "Oh cheating on us today?" I said, "Um yea. Why wouldn't I visit Universal? The place is fun, and they actually have new and exciting things for guests to experience." She whispered, "Can't argue with you on that one. Just don't let my supervisor know I said that." she then flagged down my cab for us, and off we went.

Now, back to the complaining how Disney cannot use Marvel in WDW cause of an ironclad contract.

DDLand

That doesn't matter. There is no realistic offer that Disney could make to coax Universal into ending the current deal. Disney knows this, so they're perfectly content with just collecting the annual fee from Universal. They are not pursuing these rights at all.
Exactly right. I've read the contract and it's tight. I just only see two of the three happy with this arrangement.

Marvel doesn't care who owns their rights as long as it's high quality stuff.

Universal likes it because they've got powerful IP.

Disney, they get cash. The cash comes at the cost of the Mega Brand continuity. Iger's mantra has been brand first. Is this really the arrangement they want?

I'm just not sure...

Mr. Peabody

Exactly right. I've read the contract and it's tight. I just only see two of the three happy with this arrangement.

Marvel doesn't care who owns their rights as long as it's high quality stuff.

Universal likes it because they've got powerful IP.

Disney, they get cash. The cash comes at the cost of the Mega Brand continuity. Iger's mantra has been brand first. Is this really the arrangement they want?

I'm just not sure...
It may not be ideal, but Disney is neither unhappy nor desperate enough to try to change the status quo. Universal is not even interested in selling anyway.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If I was Universal, I would just hate writing royalty checks to Disney no matter how great a deal they have. I believe that sooner or later Universal will want out as much as Disney wants back in at Walt Disney World.

The media business is a huge web of licensing deals, it's just part of business. When Disney runs Harry Potter movies on ABC Family Universal often writes a check to Disney to show advertising for Universal Studios and I am sure Disney happily accepts the advertising revenue.

H2O_Mouse-Ears

It's a superhero comic.
Yes, but it is the 90's superhero comic book scene. I feel areas need to be stylistically/thematically upgraded with the times. The problem with the current Marvel Superhero Island is that the architecture and style it represents is that of the 90's style (an era that is infamous for producing flash without substance comics). A theme park area should either be based on something timeless or have the ability to adapt with the times.

GLaDOS

Yes, but it is the 90's superhero comic book scene. I feel areas need to be stylistically/thematically upgraded with the times. The problem with the current Marvel Superhero Island is that the architecture and style it represents is that of the 90's style (an era that is infamous for producing flash without substance comics). A theme park area should either be based on something timeless or have the ability to adapt with the times.

It'll be updated.

tl77

Let me try this again, only this time flat out saying the MCU's depictions showed up in IOA several years ago. So I'm thinking y'all are wrong.

img_0153-copy.jpg

img_0155-copy.jpg

large.jpg

Well this isn't really an attraction, it's a store that's selling Disney's product, so I can't imagine they mind that too much, they also have Marvel product in their Disney Stores as well a Marvel store going in at the new Disney Springs . Plus these the statues of Thor and Captain America are from the first movies, which were produced by Paramount before Disney bought Marvel. There was some overlap with Disney and Paramount's ownership for the first Avengers movie and Ironman 3 because those films began pre-production while Marvel Studios was still owned by Paramount. Disney now owns Marvel outright except for the film rights that 20th Century Fox has for X-men, Fantastic 4, Deadpool and few others, and the weird "lease" situation they now have with Sony for Spiderman. I'm pretty sure any future Universal theme park projects have to go through the now Disney owned Marvel

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Reliable sources have said that Universal has plans to upgrade/add to MSHI. Universal is not going to unload Marvel.

Sorry, thanks for playing.

Maybe....but I bet they may unload one day IF the price is right from Disney AND they have some killer ideas to go in that space to bring in more crowds

DisneyDebRob

Maybe....but I bet they may unload one day IF the price is right from Disney AND they have some killer ideas to go in that space to bring in more crowds
Why do I have this feeling the "price" will never be right.just have this feeling the spite will always lead the way when it comes to this.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I think it was also an easy way for Universal to use a "2D comic" for making things more budget conscious. I'm not blaming them, IOA was a HUGE risk for them if I recall correctly, so there were a lot of things that had to be budgeted out.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Why do I have this feeling the "price" will never be right.just have this feeling the spite will always lead the way when it comes to this.

That is certainly possible....but one way to look at it is Uni could get a HEFTY amount of change to do some more big things ...and just because Disney could then have the rights to Marvel it would likely take them 10 years to do anything anyways lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom