Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I believe it's addressed in the EXCLUSIVITY clause in Section IV.B. as follows:

i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

ii. West of The Mississippi - any other theme park may use any Marvel characters whether or not used by MCA.

iii. East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

iv. East or West of The Mississippi - The foregoing permitted uses will be subject to the following marketing restrictions:

(a) If the particular character is used by MCA (as defined above), such character will not be advertised or promoted East of The Mississippi, except by means of national Network buys of television, within printed materials such as brochures, or by print advertisements in periodicals directed to readers more than 300 miles from Orlando; and with regard to any of the foregoing permitted marketing, if the marketing is for a group of theme parks located both East and West of The Mississippi, the marketing shall make abundantly clear that the character only appears in the parks West of The Mississippi and shall not be subject to confusion on such point (such as would occur by visual inclusion of the character in a generic, multipark advertisement subject to a small print explanation of the parks where the character is present).

Every time I read this it reads like a bunch of weirdos had overly long meetings in the presence of lawyers for far too long. East and west of the Mississippi sounds like something out of the old west. Why not just mention WDW or Orlando directly? Also, since the earth is spherical everywhere is east of Mississippi and west of the Mississippi, so these rules apply everywhere and nowhere. They don't bother to state that you have to stop your eastward travel just because you ran out of land. Why not just use the 300 miles from Orlando rule for the whole document? Or just say only DL can can use this stuff? There had to be some major weirdness at the meetings that hashed this document out. I'm almost 100% certain I would've been giggling.

rioriz

My worry about an Avengers ride is what type it will be...I'd hate to see another Spiderman or Harry Potter ride system...I would say go the Soarin route but Avatar is already updating that ride system....I could cream if the actually did non screen and full out next Gen animatronics

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
You guys all are thinking to small. It is not just Marvel Disney is after in the theme park world. The name change to "Disney's Hollywood Adventure Fun Park of Vaguely Hollywood Related Offerings in a Fairly Safe Setting" is just the first step in theme park confusion as they fill the park with attractions similar to but just different enough from Islands of Adventure to create "Confused Tourist Syndrome" or CTS as they try and hide the existence of IoA altogether from the hordes of vacationers. I think they're going to start with "King Triton's Angry Fit".

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Every time I read this it reads like a bunch of weirdos had overly long meetings in the presence of lawyers for far too long. East and west of the Mississippi sounds like something out of the old west. Why not just mention WDW or Orlando directly? Also, since the earth is spherical everywhere is east of Mississippi and west of the Mississippi, so these rules apply everywhere and nowhere. They don't bother to state that you have to stop your eastward travel just because you ran out of land. Why not just use the 300 miles from Orlando rule for the whole document? Or just say only DL can can use this stuff? There had to be some major weirdness at the meetings that hashed this document out. I'm almost 100% certain I would've been giggling.

One reason is that this contract wasn't just about keeping Disney from getting the rights to Marvel, but other theme parks in the region.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
One reason is that this contract wasn't just about keeping Disney from getting the rights to Marvel, but other theme parks in the region.

I see that, but the east and west of the Mississippi verbage is still awkward. Thus, why I was wondering why not just use the 300 mile rule they have for advertising later. Hell, just make it 500 miles if you don't want it near Uni in Florida. Using a geographic landmark is arbitrary and weird. Its not like the Mississippi is a big barrier to travel any more. We don't get to the shore on horseback, make eye contact, and wonder what we're going to do now. "I sure hope Cleetus was able to get his hands on that raft".

mahnamahna101

I expect this project to kick into high gear right after Kong opens.

I believe that F&F will start in Jan.

As of now, the JP thing is just a small Raptor Experience. And is under construction new.
Is Avengers the fasttracked attraction insiders have mentioned?

I'd be shocked if JP doesn't get a revamp/expansion soon... the film appears set to do $700 million+ WW. $250-350 million DOM. Plus the article posted in this thread mentions Universal Creative worked directly with the JW crew to design attractions for the film... I'm expecting a Gyrosphere ride of some sort by 2020. A JP/JW revamp seems like a no-brainer and wouldn't be as costly as F&F, MSHI revamp, etc.

Disneyhead'71

Is Avengers the fasttracked attraction insiders have mentioned?

I'd be shocked if JP doesn't get a revamp/expansion soon... the film appears set to do $700 million+ WW. $250-350 million DOM. Plus the article posted in this thread mentions Universal Creative worked directly with the JW crew to design attractions for the film... I'm expecting a Gyrosphere ride of some sort by 2020. A JP/JW revamp seems like a no-brainer and wouldn't be as costly as F&F, MSHI revamp, etc.
No, F&F is the fast tracked one.

I too expect the gyrospheres eventually, but Uni has so much on their plate, I believe it will take a while to get around to .

Matt7187

No, F&F is the fast tracked one.

I too expect the gyrospheres eventually, but Uni has so much on their plate, I believe it will take a while to get around to .
One advantage I see about holding off on the gyro spheres is that if the movie ends up flopping (which I doubt it will) they won't be stuck with a ride from an unsuccessful movie that no one will remember. Seems like fast tracking F&F and Avengers would definitely be the best way to go

Captain Neo

If Disney does get the park rights is it at all possible to just move/rebuild the Spider-Man ride to Hollywood Studios? That ride is so good.

doctornick

Here's my question about this: the impression I got from insiders like @marni1971 was that there has been some sort of "agreement" regarding Marvel at Uni recently. Was that simply Marvel (Disney) approving plans that Uni has for the area so that Uni can move forward to build? Or was there some actual "back and forth" aspect where Disney/Marvel gave approval and gave some concessions (?) while Comcast/Uni gave some concessions? I don't know if there would be any need for such discussions given the details of the contract, but sometimes mutually beneficial things get developed even if they aren't "needed".

Maybe I was reading too much into the earlier talk. I never have thought that Disney would be buying back the theme park rights or anything, but small concessions might be possible (e.g. being able to use the Marvel name in WDW parks). Someone else mentioned Marvel fighting to get full rights to The Hulk solo movies (and maybe Sub-Mariner as well) -- I could see the Marvel folks pushing for that if given an opening.

Matt7187

Success of property does not equal great ride and vice versa.
I know, but if the movie say makes around half of what is expected, and especially falters domestically, would Universal really want to dole out a lot of money on a ride based off of one scene of an extremely underperforming movie? Of course, it could be one of those exceptions (Splash/Song of the South), but would it really be worth the risk if you can build something that has pretty much has guaranteed success (Mine Train/Jeeps)?

Personally, I would LOVE to ride gyrospheres, but I'm just thinking how a business probably would

H2O_Mouse-Ears

One advantage I see about holding off on the gyro spheres is that if the movie ends up flopping (which I doubt it will) they won't be stuck with a ride from an unsuccessful movie that no one will remember. Seems like fast tracking F&F and Avengers would definitely be the best way to go
This would be the way to go:
fast-to-the-future.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom