Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

Disneyhead'71

Let's ignore the MCU for a moment. If Uni wanted to build a new X-Men attraction and have Hugh Jackman in a video as Wolverine, do you think they could do that without Fox's permission? I do not and I'd be very skeptical it would be legally allowed under the terms of the contract between Uni and Marvel for the theme park rights -- Marvel could only "give away" the depictions of characters that they had control over and Fox would have specific rights the works they produced.

Fast forward to today and the MCU movies and I doubt that Uni would have rights to those images and portrayals as well. At the absolute minimum, it would be a legal gray area where the Disney lawyers could hold stuff up.

It could definitely be in everyone's interest to clarify such things and come to an agreement, perhaps something with some concessions on both sides.
universal-s-islands-of.jpg

Disneyhead'71

It seems to me that both TWDC or Comcast would want full rights to the Marvel IP to use across all their parks. Comcast doesn't want to let the IP go in Orlando and TWDC doesn't seem all that committed to using it anywhere, so which is more likely? TWDC buying out the rights for Orlando or Comcast licensing the rights for other locations? Based on clues in the thread (including TWDC putting the third gate on hold in Anaheim), I'd bet on the latter.

The bigger mystery to me is @marni1971 mentioning IPs being jumbled. What does Comcast or UNI have that TWDC would want to pick up and UNI would be willing to trade in any kind of deal? Or am I missing the meaning of jumbled?
We will just go with, what does Comcast have that the TWDC would be interested in.

Ummmm, FP+ to 42 of the the top 50 cable markets in the U.S.?

Just thinkin' out loud. Pay no attention to me.

Disneyhead'71

Weird thoughts . . .

What if it's just negotiations about how to split the pie if Universal builds more?
Disney can take nice royalty checks, Uni can build E-tickets.
What if it's something crazy like them co-designing an attraction, Uni has it in
Fla., Disney has it in CA?

I mean, it's all about money, right? Businesses can come to agreement if there's
cash to be made.

FWIW, I would love to ride any superhero attraction, but I don't care about a park,
and don't want Marvel in WDW in any substantial way. Most superhero action takes
place in the Metropolis/Gotham type environment and I don't care to be immersed
in fake 'actual' city much. I suppose there are superhero environments that would
be cool, like (hey what about DC?) the Batcave or the Fortress of Solitude.

Personally, where Marvel ends up on the East Coast, I'd just as soon it be at Uni.
And on the West Coast, third park. Not in DL. My 2 cents.
Universal Creative designed attractions have ended up in non-Universal parks before.

El Grupo

We will just go with, what does Comcast have that the TWDC would be interested in.

I've shared the same thought since diving into this thread. Of course, with Comcast's video subscriber base declining, one could also ask what does Disney have to help shore up that product and Comcast's other core business? Content, especially sports.

dvitali

I think this might not be about characters and park rights. Disney might be asking Universal for the rights to the word "Marvel" and the word "Superhero" ( that marvel and DC have both trademark) to use in it stores and products.

alphac2005

If this thread proves nothing else, it's that you can have a bunch of people throw around acronyms like IP, but it doesn't mean that they have any understanding of how business operates. It never ceases to amaze me of how little lots people have when it comes to Business 101 and then start to float absurd theories out there. If you think that Universal would cede Marvel properties currently at Universal to Disney, then it's obvious that the world is flat. Ugh.

khale1970

My lack of clarity and your vigorous wand stroking has led to confusion. Comcast certainly has things of value TWDC would want, but I was asking what IP they would be willing to toss into the "jumble" that TWDC would want. Again with the proviso that I might be making more of the word jumbled than the OP meant.

StarLord01

Must say that once Disney had brought the rights to Marvel, the writing was always on the wall for all the rides and shops in the Marvel area in US. I for one will be sad to see the likes of Hulk coaster, Doctor Dooms falls, Spiderman ride etc... closed/renamed but as stated by most people on this thread has said, I cant see Disney doing anything straight away with the Marvel rights and cant see in which park a area would fit in??

I do hope that Disney do realise along with Star Wars that they have very loyal fans and if they take the rights from U.S, they use them well and give us Marvel/Star wars fans the rides, shows and shops that we deserve.

The Ball is in you court Disney........Don't let us down!!!

lazyboy97o

Must say that once Disney had brought the rights to Marvel, the writing was always on the wall for all the rides and shops in the Marvel area in US. I for one will be sad to see the likes of Hulk coaster, Doctor Dooms falls, Spiderman ride etc... closed/renamed but as stated by most people on this thread has said, I cant see Disney doing anything straight away with the Marvel rights and cant see in which park a area would fit in??

I do hope that Disney do realise along with Star Wars that they have very loyal fans and if they take the rights from U.S, they use them well and give us Marvel/Star wars fans the rides, shows and shops that we deserve.

The Ball is in you court Disney........Don't let us down!!!
I'm guessing you didn't bother to read anything...

GLaDOS

No thread is too long with too many people having a whinge!!

If you could summarise for me that would be super!!! ;):D

Marvel in Islands of Adventure isn't going anywhere. Hulk will be getting retracked and upgraded, as well as possibly rethemed. Doctor Doom is either being demolished in favor of a new ride, or being upgraded while a new ride is built on presumably the Toon Lagoon theater spot. The land will also receive thematic upgrades throughout.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
just imagine the possibilities of a Star Wars / Marvel theme park at WDW - this could be a huge game changer like the surge from HP being at Uni

what could play out... is Disney (Orlando) being able to build Marvel attractions AND Uni being able to retheme/reimagine some of their current Marvel attractions or free up space for new themed areas or more/new attractions altogether

sounds too good to be true... but if it ever happened, that would be a win win win (for both theme parks and us as fans)

Jon81uk

just imagine the possibilities of a Star Wars / Marvel theme park at WDW - this could be a game changer like the surge from HP being at Uni

Except Uni won't give up the Marvel rights. Now a Marvel area at Anaheim (there is an expansion area of DCA it is rumoured to go to Marvel), that is more likely and there is already strong rumours of a Marvel makeover at Disney Studios Paris as well so could see DCA and WDSP get Marvel at the same time.....

But Marvel at WDW won't happen anytime soon. They are just going to rennovate Hulk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom