Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

TP2000

I notice you keep leaving out the International trajectory and only report the domestic.

The hold was 35% in International markets last weekend if anyone cares to know.

That's an issue with The Numbers website. They only do that Legs Graph thing for Domestic box office. I don't actually make these graphs, I'm just cutting and pasting from that website I link to. The yellow highlighting is all me though, and it's about as artistic as I ever get, as I have no talent for that at all. 🤣

Do you know a website that has a graph that shows Overseas Box Office as a Legs Graph? I'd love to see one if you do!

Here's how Apes 9 is faring on the Legs Graph (not sure that's what it is supposed to be called, but too late, I'm going with it!) as of yesterday, going into the Memorial Day Weekend.

I Like Major Lance's Version Better Myself.jpg

BrianLo

That's an issue with The Numbers website. They only do that Legs Graph thing for Domestic box office. I don't actually make these graphs, I'm just cutting and pasting from that website I link to. The yellow highlighting is all me though, and it's about as artistic as I ever get, as I have no talent for that at all. 🤣

Do you know a website that has a graph that shows Overseas Box Office as a Legs Graph? I'd love to see one if you do!

Here's how Apes 9 is faring on the Legs Graph (not sure that's what it is supposed to be called, but too late, I'm going with it!) as of yesterday, going into the Memorial Day Weekend.

View attachment 787434

I don’t, but you can just mentally average the two for simplicity. It’s a fairly normal trend, but international seems to be doing the legwork.

Though on the flip side it got a terrible CinemaScore of a B. Which implies the legs should be even worse.

Miss Rori

Deadline predicting $31-$35 million 4-day opening for Furiosa, and about the same for Garfield.
That's disappointing for everybody, especially given how good the Furiosa reviews have been - with the caveat that Fury Road wasn't an MCU-sized hit back in the day, and made much of its money internationally, so there may have been too much enthusiasm for this one to be a megahit. But it really seems few people want to head out to the movies this holiday weekend; The Little Mermaid remake did $118.8 million last year for the 4-day!

I really do wonder what's going to break this early summer streak of disappointments. With virtually every tentpole release for the rest of the year a franchise extension of some sort, which is precisely what people are getting tired of unless it's fairly kid-friendly (apparently that really helped Godzilla X Kong) or something really spectacular (Dune Part Two), there's no obvious candidate for that "honor".

Miss Rori

Inside Out 2 or Despicable Me 4.

At least one of those will do well.
With less than 3 weeks to go at this point for IO 2, I'm surprised the marketing and merchandising hasn't ramped up. I've seen some of the tie-in plushies/toys at Wal-Mart but the books don't arrive until Tuesday. Why oh why is McDonald's doing the Captain America - Brave New World Happy Meal promotion now when they could have got the jump on IO 2 by a few weeks?

That said I wouldn't be surprised if the review embargo is lifted next week.

TP2000

But it really seems few people want to head out to the movies this holiday weekend; The Little Mermaid remake did $118.8 million last year for the 4-day!

Interesting point. Here's what the Top 5 Memorial Day Box Office looked like last year thru Sunday.

The top 5 movies pulled in a combined $150 Million in domestic box office. And a couple of those were aging movies that had already made hundreds of millions a piece by Memorial Day '23.

We'll have to see what this holiday weekend chart looks like for 2024 tomorrow, but you can already tell it will be dismal.

2023.jpg

TalkingHead

What do adult audiences want? Human emotion, clever writing, and economical filmmaking would be a start. I like George Miller as much as the next person but 2.5 hrs of post-apocalyptic mayhem sounds like it might get tiresome. Especially when opinions seem split on how successfully the movie pulls it off.

Casper Gutman

It should be noted that the stories in the trade press about the awful box office this weekend note that Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is the only summer release to meet expectations. Also, worth repeating...

I suspect this thread will become more willing to acknowledge general box office trends and not try to pretend the issue is individual companies now that the latter pretense would mean that Disney is doing something right and other studios aren't. (The issue has always been and remains broad trends).

DKampy

Has Mad Max ever been a hot franchise you can bank on…I liked Furiosa… But I go weekly and open minded about any genre if it’s good… However Mad Max has always felt more like a film with a cult following… I am a Gen xer who grew up in the 80’s and I don’t ever remember a Mad Max film putting up blockbuster numbers… Heck Fury Road was beat by a Pitch Perfect sequel… I feel like people overestimated the pull of a Mad Max film

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What do adult audiences want? Human emotion, clever writing, and economical filmmaking would be a start. I like George Miller as much as the next person but 2.5 hrs of post-apocalyptic mayhem sounds like it might get tiresome. Especially when opinions seem split on how successfully the movie pulls it off.
I can pretty much guarantee that a majority of movie going adults don't care one bit about economical film making.

TalkingHead

Pitch Perfect sequel made $70m in one weekend in 2015. That’s the kind of business Hollywood sacrificed in order to compete with Netflix. So good job?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom