Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

erasure fan1

But I think there is an understanding that @TP2000 is looking at box office performance.
Absolutely. There's only so many times "profit in the theatrical window" or "it's not the only measurement..." can be said. If people think TP is being disingenuous, just move along. We all know there's more to it than what's being reported. But like you said, we aren't privy to that information.
and Dreamworks was a beacon of success. All because of differences in studio accounting. Ya, I hate to tell you all Trolls was an incredible disappointment that lost money and Ruby Gillman a complete dud.
That's why that formula works for our stupid discussion on an internet forum. You can apply the same formula for everyone. So if trolls didn't make back its budget, it can't be hidden. It needed just over 300mil, it did 200, that's a box office flop.

TP2000

I didn't know who played Cruella either, but loved the movie. Guess I'm not up to date on all the actors either, LOL.

It was a fun Disney movie to watch with family. But thinking back on it, I considered the actress to be "Cruella" (actually the Baroness), and "the new Cruella" which was actually THE Cruella as a young woman.

It also makes no sense because it was set in the 70's, and Cruella arrived on the pop culture scene in 1960, so I think that's what also scrambled the timeline of the movie for me, and thus scrambled who was who. Perhaps younger people who weren't alive in the 60's or 70's don't have that timeline/continuity problem with that movie.

But I still think that the actress who played Cruella the Baroness was fabulous in that movie!

BrianLo

Absolutely. There's only so many times "profit in the theatrical window" or "it's not the only measurement..." can be said. If people think TP is being disingenuous, just move along. We all know there's more to it than what's being reported. But like you said, we aren't privy to that information.

That's why that formula works for our stupid discussion on an internet forum. You can apply the same formula for everyone. So if trolls didn't make back its budget, it can't be hidden. It needed just over 300mil, it did 200, that's a box office flop.

FYI - I’m not actually trying to eliminate the formula. I’m trying to help him refine it.

For factors I’ll spell out it actually seems to work better for illumination and Dreamworks films, but does not work well for Universal Live Action, Disney or WB.

TP2000

This is notable, because @TP2000 is not factoring in any revenue derived from TV/VOD, home entertainment distribution, or royalties on consumer products.

Agreed, I certainly am not factoring any of that in. Neither is Variety or The Hollywood Reporter or other media sources we all link articles to here when they run stories on the latest box office numbers.

Although I do love some of the anecdotal reports we get here sometimes of how the Parks are full of kids wearing the latest Wish merchandise in droves, or what have you. Those always make me chuckle.

His estimates for profit/loss of films is based solely on "Theatrical Distribution." In fact, the numbers actually support @TP2000's argument that the break even costs are far greater than 2.5x on the films.

Yup, that's exactly how the profit/loss formula works. For the record, that formula is not mine. It's a basic template for box office performance that I learned has been used by the movie industry, and its watchers, for decades now. I merely plugged that formula into the console here in the Global Command Center and let Mr. Johnson do the math for us.

Why? If the "Content Sales and Licensing" business is reporting a loss roughly consistent with 2.5x break even costs AFTER including the additional TV/VOD revenue (and licensing and a whole bunch of other lines of revenue), the true costs must be much larger. I actually think that this lends credence to @TP2000's numbers.

Thank you. :) It's that, and I just don't want to do that much math six months after a movie flops at the box office to see if it could claw back a few million via corporate accounting. That doesn't sound like much fun during my afternoon patio time.

But if someone else wants to start a thread called Disney Theatrical Content Sales & Licensing Including TV/VOD Revenue, then have at it! I'll wish them well with that topic. 🥳

Last edited:

TP2000

I think having a discussion on the efficacy of box office vs. total revenue is fair. In fact, this is an argument that Ike Perlmutter made. Perlmutter was frustrated that Team Disney has an obsession with looking at the success of films in terms of box office rather than holistically. So, Bob Iger and Disney's executive leadership team actually seems to judge the success films more like @TP2000. Perlmutter views things more like you.

And as I mentioned earlier, that's also how the industry trade press judges these films; by daily/weekly box office numbers.

I get it though, and I do get @BrianLo's point, that over the course of several more fiscal quarters after a movie leaves theaters, that there are additional revenue streams for a specific film or corporate accounting processes that can add to the studio's bottom line overall.

But for the sake of this thread and all of us non-experts here, it's easier and more interesting to just stick to Box Office.

For more precision, it could be argued that @TP2000 could say something along the lines of "Disney Studios has lost x amount of money when looking revenue derived from theatrical releases exclusively." But I think there is an understanding that @TP2000 is looking at box office performance. It's also just demonstrably true that Disney is struggling to control costs (specifically at Marvel and Lucasfilm) and box office performance has been pretty terrible recently. Theatrical runs used to be a significant profit center for the company, and now Disney is not generating the money they used to.

Bingo! And as a lifelong Disney fan, I'm frustrated that these bloated movie budgets just keep bumbling along while there is no night parade in an American park, there is no new ride under construction in any American park, and the current Parks leadership are actively lowering the standards for Park showmanship, professionalism, and hospitality.

And yet they can waste hundreds of millions of dollars per movie on failure stuff like Indy 5, Mermaid, The Marvels, Strange World, Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Wish, etc., etc.?!? :banghead:

Moreover, Disney has a responsibility to use their money well. Some of these films might be making a profit, but they have to weigh the benefit of spending money on a particular film next to spending it on other investments. Right now, Disney could invest their shareholder's money into an S&P 500 index fund and they would make a better RoI. That's humiliating.

I hadn't thought of it quite like that, but my God, you are right. o_O

BrianLo

I think having a discussion on the efficacy of box office vs. total revenue is fair. In fact, this is an argument that Ike Perlmutter made. Perlmutter was frustrated that Team Disney has an obsession with looking at the success of films in terms of box office rather than holistically. So, Bob Iger and Disney's executive leadership team actually seems to judge the success films more like @TP2000. Perlmutter views things more like you.

Ok, I’ll mostly park this other to say I need a source on this other than a white paper from a disgruntled ex employees and a failed corporate raider.

The trouble with your thesis is they don’t seem to judge it like TP. They seem to call Elemental and Mermaid a success. He doesn’t.

But if you want something not from a terrible year when they (Disney) were motivated to lie - how about Encanto. That seems to constantly get top billing over the more forgotten Doctor Strange. Or how about Tangled, which actually highlights how fixating on the production cost as the true and only arbiter of cost can miss the point.

I think both provide useful data. Pre-Covid Disney could reasonably expect to make money on their theatrical runs. That means that any TV/VOD revenue was simply extra money to enjoy. Moreover, theatrical performance is a good indicator of the performance of TV/VOD revenue (obviously not perfect, as sometimes films blow up in the secondary market as you well know). But your point that Hollywood doesn't stop tabulating a film's success when the last theater drops
the film is well taken. A lot of money is made through other forms of distribution.

But all of this is rather separate from the argument on estimating the breakeven point for a film to earn money on its theatrical run. @TP2000 is making a narrow argument that the breakeven point for Apes 9 is around $460 Million USD in earnings on its theatrical release based on his method of calculation. You argued that the 2.5x rule is more appropriate based on Disney's accounting, but there is too much interference from other revenue streams to use Disney's accounting as a useful benchmark for inferring the cost of a film.

I’m not inferring cost, actually. I’m inferring a rule of thumb that can accurately call whether a film makes a studio money or not, at the end of the day. One we can backtest accurately against financial reports and trades breakdowns. One that is holding up a lot better to scrutiny.

Knowing a films true costs can only be backtested as an estimate when you know how much the film made. That’s because in some cases, the production costs can be a smaller and smaller portion of the entire costs. That’s true in hugely successful movies or the weird oddity that is the Comcast animated films. I only bring up this segment in particular, because I think this forum is pretty interested in comparing those two more accurately.

Why do costs fluctuate? Profit sharing, marketing spend. Other factors, but as a movie is more successful, the studio releases more waves of marketing, both for the theatrical window and the back end.

As a result there’s no day one rule of thumb. Conveniently I can roughly determine the point of equilibrium.

If you want to know the true full costs versus only the partial revenue (of the theatrical window), that number actually seems to be 4X for Disney films and most of the industry.

So if no other source of revenue ever existed, Apes would need 640 million in box office to break even (kind of simplifying for a 50-50 Domestic:International split). That’s sort of asinine, because some of that cost is because there’s profit participation… because there is profit… because there is back end money.

Deadpool 3 would be 1 billion. Inside out 2 700 million.

Testing the Illumination and Dreamworks profile, that number seems to be 6X. Both because the rest of the costs are poorly implied by the upfront production budget. Secondly because the profit participation starts somewhat earlier. It’s a weird measuring stick, but that’s what it is if you guys really want to use that.

So you’d be looking at 450million for Trolls and Migration. 600 for Mario and Despicable me films.

I think that’s a terrible way of looking at and reporting the data, but it is more accurate.

I also see some indication that Disney doesn't expense the entire production cost of a film at the time of the film's release. They expense it over the life of the asset, so you don't actually see the total cost of the film hit the financial statements at the time of release. They have internal models for expensing the costs, but we aren't privy to them. So, it's not extremely useful to try to deduce the production costs of individual films or even groups of films from the financial statements.

This is why I included Q2, very purposefully. It was actually a unique time to see how Disney amortizes the films in the back end under the hood. They seem to match the back end tail correctly as that’s a bit more reliable for them with streaming and licensing. So while we should have a terrible Q2 that is back ended by terrible amortization from all their end of year flops, the company only reports -18million. Which I honestly think a small chunk of was due to the Pixar films.

Whereas you can clearly see how the films production budgets are put mostly on the books upfront. It’s why the quarterly loses spike around Indy, Wish, Marvels etc quite predictably. And why those movies are called out in their subsequent quarters. It is more accurate than you allude to and I will still say my calculation is over-calling it, despite me including 5 quarters of loses for that reason. So it seems to be backed in for the droughts of a couple more million of loses not realized.

TP’s numbers are completely missing the mark and again do not align with Deadline figures, which you are also sidling to try and ignore my two actual data sources. I’m still waiting on the missing 650+ million in loses.

Moreover, Disney has a responsibility to use their money well. Some of these films might be making a profit, but they have to weigh the benefit of spending money on a particular film next to spending it on other investments. Right now, Disney could invest their shareholder's money into an S&P 500 index fund and they would make a better RoI. That's humiliating.

100 percent. I’m trying to just get more accurate data reports. I did not in actuality change a single conclusion in reality. The big losers still lost money. The Studio division still lost money. Isn’t it more helpful to know accurately how much instead of a fake estimate?

TP2000

FYI - I’m not actually trying to eliminate the formula. I’m trying to help him refine it.

How about this... The First Omen was the first new movie in theaters from any Disney studio in 2024. It has now left theaters this week, and it's box office performance is noted below. I come up with a $20 Million loss for 20th Century Studios from the rather weak box office performance for The First Omen.

What does your math equation come up with as a profit or loss for The First Omen? Here's mine again...

The First Omen: Production $30, Marketing $15, Domestic $12, Overseas $13 = $20 Million Loss
Not All That Ominous, Is It.jpg

Last edited:

BrianLo

But for the sake of this thread and all of us non-experts here, it's easier and more interesting to just stick to Box Office.

I’m not asking you to change that. I’m asking you to utilize the more accepted industry 2.5 rule of thumb. That one that actually calls loses better.

Or use the 4x/6X multiplier if you just want to know what the theatrical break even would be in a ‘headline grabbing’ take. 😂

BrianLo

How about this... The First Omen was the first new movie in theaters from any Disney studio in 2024. It has now left theaters this week, and it's box office performance is noted below. I come up with a $25 Million loss for 20th Century Studios from the rather weak box office performance for The First Omen.

What does your math equation come up with as a profit or loss for The First Omen? Here's mine again...

The First Omen: Production $30, Marketing $15, Domestic $12, Overseas $13 = $25 Million Loss
View attachment 786818

12.5 million Loss

The easiest way to figure that out for you is just drop half of the marketing from your budget.

Or 1.25X production minus the Domestic and International totals (12+13) - (30x1.25)=

Note - it’s not an accurate measure of marketing, we’d have to back test down the road.

Last edited:

WoundedDreamer

As a result there’s no day one rule of thumb.
This seems to be the core of you argument. And I don't think anyone is contesting that we lack the information to make an entirely concrete estimate. Marketing spend might be more or less. Production budget might be more or less. The domestic to international ratio might be more or less. This will fluctuate film to film. There's no concrete rule. But we can use models to get us closer to the truth than we otherwise would be. And @TP2000's model (that he didn't even invent, but got from others following this market) is not absurd or invalid. Individuals have said "we know its inaccurate," when in fact there is reasonable evidence that it's a useful tool. There might be outliers like Elemental that do not fit within the model, but that does not mean we throw the model out completely as useless or invalid.

I completely respect your argument that looking at revenue sources holistically is the superior approach. But @TP2000 is having a narrower conversation on box office vs. production costs. You can argue with him on the wisdom of that, but it's certainly not uncommon amongst those who follow the film industry (both in professional Hollywood and amongst novice enthusiasts).

This is why I included Q2, very purposefully. It was actually a unique time to see how Disney amortizes the films in the back end under the hood. They seem to match the back end tail correctly as that’s a bit more reliable for them with streaming and licensing. So while we should have a terrible Q2 that is back ended by terrible amortization from all their end of year flops, the company only reports -18million. Which I honestly think a small chunk of was due to the Pixar films.

Whereas you can clearly see how the films production budgets are put mostly on the books upfront. It’s why the quarterly loses spike around Indy, Wish, Marvels etc quite predictably. And why those movies are called out in their subsequent quarters. It is more accurate than you allude to and I will still say my calculation is over-calling it, despite me including 5 quarters of loses for that reason. So it seems to be backed in for the droughts of a couple more million of loses not realized.

TP’s numbers are completely missing the mark and again do not align with Deadline figures, which you are also sidling to try and ignore my two actual data sources. I’m still waiting on the missing 650+ million in loses.
Disney has an internal model for the “Ultimate Revenue” of each theatrical film that they create. Suppose they expect a film to make $700 million in “Ultimate Revenue” over the life of the asset. If Disney spent $150 Million on the film, that $150 million would be amortized in line with the projected revenue of the asset.

You’re correct that this is not a straight line. The costs will be skewed towards the beginning of the run. But that’s not the complete picture. The projected “Ultimate Revenue” and the associated amortizing of a film’s production cost takes up to ten years:

“For film productions, Ultimate Revenues include revenues from all sources, which may include imputed license fees for content that is used on our DTC streaming services, that will be earned within ten years from the date of the initial release for theatrical films.“ (See Page 96 Disney’s 2023 Annual Report).

This means that Disney is still amortizing the production costs of films like Avengers Endgame or Star Wars: The Rise of Refuse. Why then were losses particularly dramatic with the release of the 2023 films? Because of the following:

“Ultimate Revenues are reassessed each reporting period and the impact of any changes on amortization of production cost is accounted for as if the change occurred at the beginning of the current fiscal year. If our estimate of Ultimate Revenues decreases, amortization of costs may be accelerated or result in an impairment. Conversely, if our estimate of Ultimate Revenues increases, cost amortization may be slowed.” (See Page 63).

Disney also explains that they reassess their models of “Ultimate Revenues” after the theatrical release (See Page 63). When a film tanks at the box office, Disney is forced to front load more of the cost of the film in their earnings for that quarter in line with the lower expected revenue. However, this does not mean that the entire cost is amortized in that first quarter. The 2023 loser films you mentioned (Indy, Wish, Marvels, etc.) likely have hundreds of millions more to amortized. Disney will be slowly paying down Indy 5 and Wish until the early 2030s. Unless they determined that those films were not going to make any “Ultimate Revenue” over the next decade, which they have not indicated. That’s where @TP2000’s missing hundreds of millions went.

All of this can be summed up by saying that using quarterly financials to determine the total cost of a film (or group of films) is pretty much futile. It gives us an idea, but hundreds of millions more will be hidden in the next 40 quarterly reports.

Noteworthy Edit: "The original version of this post said "[costs] will be hidden in the next 40 annual reports." That was a mistake. I replaced quarterly with annual. Apologies for any confusion that this might of caused. I have amended the post for clarity and accuracy. The costs of a film are amortized over ten years.

Last edited:

_caleb

Interesting discussion about the "rule of thumb" for determining box office break-even/profitability, but I don't think any of the conventional thinking, metrics, or rules apply reliably across the industry anymore.

In other, completely related news, did anyone stream the Fall Guy yesterday, just 17 days after its box office release?

DKampy

Interesting discussion about the "rule of thumb" for determining box office break-even/profitability, but I don't think any of the conventional thinking, metrics, or rules apply reliably across the industry anymore.

In other, completely related news, did anyone stream the Fall Guy yesterday, just 17 days after its box office release?
This exactly…when most films can be streamed at $20 a rental while still in theaters… I can only assume many people watch films this way as every studio continues with this revenue venture…it has thrown a wrench into any models or rule of thumb at determining profits

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This seems to be the core of you argument. And I don't think anyone is contesting that we lack the information to make an entirely concrete estimate. Marketing spend might be more or less. Production budget might be more or less. The domestic to international ratio might be more or less. This will fluctuate film to film. There's no concrete rule. But we can use models to get us closer to the truth than we otherwise would be. And @TP2000's model (that he didn't even invent, but got from others following this market) is not absurd or invalid. Individuals have said "we know its inaccurate," when in fact there is reasonable evidence that it's a useful tool. There might be outliers like Elemental that do not fit within the model, but that does not mean we throw the model out completely as useless or invalid.
Except when said model is shown to be inaccurate time and time again, and acknowledged by everyone as such, you throw out the model and use a different one or update it to be more accurate. That is what @BrianLo is suggesting here, use a different model to do the box office calculations which on average is more accurate than the previous model.

And its not even like using 2.5x is some outlandish model, that has always been the traditional way of calculating box office, ie the rule of thumb model. It was only when some posters started getting into the weeds of domestic/international cuts that this new model that TP uses came into being. But as has been discussed numerous times, and you even acknowledge, those cuts change from studio to studio and even movie to movie, and in some cases theater to theater. Which is why to average everything out better and not have to account for the different cuts, 2.5x is the tried and true rule of thumb model that should be used.

TalkingHead

WoundedDreamer

The original had ~$119 million inflation adjusted domestic opening gross. So, the new film's opening is expected to be ~70% of the original. Pretty weak for a Pixar sequel film, but sets it up to easily surpass Elemental. This is legitimately good news. This gives Pixar time to conduct their restructuring and turnaround with less pressure.

I'm going to be very curious about international performance. The original was great domestically, but really performed impressively in Western Europe and Latin America. Will there be a repeat? Hopefully! And China could also be a positive market for growth.

Tony the Tigger

I have to say, I had no interest in the original. Years after it came out, I forced myself to watch it, and I was bored to death and turned it off probably within 20-30 minutes.

The previews have been more interesting than the last time around, IMO. I’m still not going to see it, but I can see why it appeals to some. (I saw the trailer when I went to see Apes.)

Comparing to pre-covid & pre-anti-Disney politics days is kind of pointless. While I disagree with those who say movies will never be what they were, there is definitely at least a temporary lull across the board.

TP2000

There's no concrete rule. But we can use models to get us closer to the truth than we otherwise would be. And @TP2000's model (that he didn't even invent, but got from others following this market) is not absurd or invalid. Individuals have said "we know its inaccurate," when in fact there is reasonable evidence that it's a useful tool.

Thank you for getting it. :)

The 2023 loser films you mentioned (Indy, Wish, Marvels, etc.) likely have hundreds of millions more to amortized. Disney will be slowly paying down Indy 5 and Wish until the early 2030s. Unless they determined that those films were not going to make any “Ultimate Revenue” over the next decade, which they have not indicated. That’s where @TP2000 's missing hundreds of millions went.

Again, thank you. It's a shame we all can't lose track of hundreds of millions in a single Fiscal year like Burbank can. 🤣

All of this can be summed up by saying that using quarterly financials to determine the total cost of a film (or group of films) is pretty much futile. It gives us an idea, but hundreds of millions more will be hidden in the next 40 annual reports.

I don't have that much time left, unfortunately. So I'll just stick with the 2 or 3 month theatrical runs on Disney's mega-budget movies to see how they do at the.... wait for it... Box Office!

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
I have to say, I had no interest in the original. Years after it came out, I forced myself to watch it, and I was bored to death and turned it off probably within 20-30 minutes.

The previews have been more interesting than the last time around, IMO. I’m still not going to see it, but I can see why it appeals to some. (I saw the trailer when I went to see Apes.)

Comparing to pre-covid & pre-anti-Disney politics days is kind of pointless. While I disagree with those who say movies will never be what they were, there is definitely at least a temporary lull across the board.

I am shocked - only because I think it's such a lovely film and can't fathom someone finding it boring :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom