Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

TP2000

Hiya, gang. I hope everyone had a fabulous Father's Day weekend and celebrated the Dads and Uncles and Grandads in our life with barbecued steaks and whiskey and ancient tales of riding lawnmower hijinks. My sister and I sure did! 🥳

Here's the first pass at weekend Box Office domestically, and after a scan of this thread it seems we're all aware of just how boffo successful Inside Out 2 was for Pixar this weekend! It's well on its way to a roughly $600 Million breakeven point sometime before Independence Day (more accurate math to come, when the sun is out tomorrow)...

Father Knows Best.jpg

Last edited:

BrianLo

Probably has to do with Father’s Day… seems like a film that would be a Dads demographic

I thought so too, but Furiosa and Fall guy didn’t benefit from the holiday. Though they shed more screens, not enough to explain the difference. I think those would also play to the dad crowd.

Ghost93

Hiya, gang. I hope everyone had a fabulous Father's Day weekend and celebrated the Dads and Uncles and Grandads in our life with barbecued steaks and whiskey and ancient tales of riding lawnmower hijinks. My sister and I sure did! 🥳

Here's the first pass at weekend Box Office domestically, and after a scan of this thread it seems we're all aware of just how boffo successful Inside Out 2 was for Pixar this weekend! It's well on its way to a roughly $500 Million breakeven point sometime before Independence Day (more accurate math to come, when the sun is out tomorrow)...

View attachment 792532

But what does BURBANK think about all of this good news!?! ;)

doctornick

Man put this movie out of it's misery. I can't imagine it was designed to be of vital importance to the greater MCU.

I personally have no particular interest in Blade anyway, so if it got cancelled I don't care. It always seemed like a odd choice for the MCU, probably would work best as a not particularly connected TV show IMHO

doctornick

Can you share a source? He was executive producer on all of their D+ series and heavily involved in those series and those films. The idea that he’s spent time away from Marvel to work on his Star Wars film (that’s had no reported movement) is belied by the studio’s output post-Avengers.

Yeah, I'm curious too because I follow the MCU a decent bit and have never seen that Feige "stepped back" or anything of the sort. The closest I've seen was that he was stretched thin with so many projects and had to delegate more, but he ultimately was still in charge of everything that has been made in the MCU and had some degree of control of it all.

Going forward, the idea is that they will try to decrease the amount of content so he will spend more time with each project. but that's far different from the idea that he left and is returning.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now there’s the silly stance.
Not in the slightest.

This is the same thing as when people claim Disney parks are boycotted for political reasons…
It does NOT happen. Humans aren’t known to deny themselves anything they remotely want.

Same with movies…if it’s good…people will gravitate toward it.

Hell…they even go towards a lot of bad movies.

If they don’t show…it’s truly awful. A total miss.

LSLS

I think it really boils down to what you call a boycott. I'm sure some people won't go see a Disney movie for political reasons. But I think that's an insane minority. What I do think you now have is that Disney has lost the benefit of the doubt. I think before people would go to movies because they saw Disney on the name, and I think that trust is gone. That name no longer means "pack the family, we are heading to the movie. Don't know anything about the movie, but we are off." I do think one thing we are learning is Inside Out was a much bigger property than it's been given credit for.

Other thing is, going to the movies is no quick easy family thing anymore. We were going to go this weekend, but tickets for the 4 of us were almost $50, and then another $50 for food/drinks. It's just not a "Hey, we have nothing to do, lets head to the movies today" thing for a lot of families, it's a plan and budget thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it really boils down to what you call a boycott. I'm sure some people won't go see a Disney movie for political reasons. But I think that's an insane minority. What I do think you now have is that Disney has lost the benefit of the doubt. I think before people would go to movies because they saw Disney on the name, and I think that trust is gone. That name no longer means "pack the family, we are heading to the movie. Don't know anything about the movie, but we are off." I do think one thing we are learning is Inside Out was a much bigger property than it's been given credit for.

Other thing is, going to the movies is no quick easy family thing anymore. We were going to go this weekend, but tickets for the 4 of us were almost $50, and then another $50 for food/drinks. It's just not a "Hey, we have nothing to do, lets head to the movies today" thing for a lot of families, it's a plan and budget thing.
That hits it pretty close

The brand is down…which results in
More criticism/examination than they’ve been spoiled with in the past

Also…the pricing thing is real. Disney is being crushed by that in alot of their business

Tony the Tigger

If you’re not honest about reality, what’s the point?

Not in the slightest.

This is the same thing as when people claim Disney parks are boycotted for political reasons…
It does NOT happen. Humans aren’t known to deny themselves anything they remotely want.

Same with movies…if it’s good…people will gravitate toward it.

Hell…they even go towards a lot of bad movies.

If they don’t show…it’s truly awful. A total miss.
Thank you for proving my point. Conversation over.

TP2000

The Numbers has an estimate on overseas box office for Inside Out 2, which has already opened in all countries except two; Japan waits until August 1st, and Finland waits until July 17th because they're all so thrilled there that the last of the snow finally melted last week they need a month to just sit in the backyard.

Using the Box Office from this past weekend globally, here's how Inside Out 2 is doing on its rapid rise to profitability:

Inside Out 2: Production $200, Marketing $100, Domestic Take $93, Overseas Take $56 = $151 Loss And Shrinking Fast!
Dad's Weekend Box Office.jpg

TP2000

But what does BURBANK think about all of this good news!?! ;)

I'd imagine Burbank is thrilled to finally have a money maker at the box office! A traditional, good old-fashioned, airtight, automatic summer box office money maker. 💰💰💰

Speaking of Burbank, where is our old friend Buddy Thomas? He's the one who invented that drinking game, but he hasn't posted here in weeks. This seems right up his alley. Do we say it three times to see if we can get him to reappear??? 🤔

Burbank. Burbank. Burbank!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom