Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Phroobar

Or Elio is released and its a hit as well. Can't tell with any certainty until its released.
It was originally suppose to be released before Inside Out 2 but got sent back for rework. It looked terrible. Maybe it will be a Sonic the Hedgehog situation and they fix it.

Anyway, I've got tickets for Inside Out 2. The kid wants to see it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was originally suppose to be released before Inside Out 2 but got sent back for rework. It looked terrible. Maybe it will be a Sonic the Hedgehog situation and they fix it.

Anyway, I've got tickets for Inside Out 2. The kid wants to see it.
I didn't think it looked bad at all, I think its an interesting concept for a story and the animation style looks fairly similar to Luca which I liked.

So what specifically made you think it looked terrible?

Phroobar

I didn't think it looked bad at all, I think its an interesting concept for a story and the animation style looks fairly similar to Luca which I liked.

So what specifically made you think it looked terrible?
The use of the same character assets from Luca, Strange World, Turning Red and other movies. Plain looking people with big teeth. The aliens felt like rip offs from Lilo & Stitch. There is just nothing interesting there. It looks like something from early Sony animation. There is no visual punch or anything interesting on the screen. No identity. Too generic. Uninspired. Even the scene of Elio looking at the alien world reminded me of Coco with different lighting. It is like they aren't even trying. This movie was suppose to come out Spring 2024 before Inside Out 2. Maybe they will take the year to modernize it or retool.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The use of the same character assets from Luca, Strange World, Turning Red and other movies. Plain looking people with big teeth. The aliens felt like rip offs from Lilo & Stitch. There is just nothing interesting there. It looks like something from early Sony animation. There is no visual punch or anything interesting on the screen. No identity. Too generic. Uninspired. Even the scene of Elio looking at the alien world reminded me of Coco with different lighting. It is like they aren't even trying. This movie was suppose to come out Spring 2024 before Inside Out 2. Maybe they will take the year to modernize it or retool.
Well we just see it different and that's cool. I think it looks interesting and I like the art style used. As I recall, and you touched upon it here, you don't like the "big eye/big teeth" style. To me it reminds me of the old Wallace and Gromit style of stop-motion animation which I'm fond of. Maybe you just don't like that style and thats cool.

Anyways, I'm aware of when it was suppose to release, but it getting moved doesn't mean they're automatically reworking it. It could be that Disney just wanted to put a more known property first as its more likely to be received better and people taking a chance on it than an original unknown property where they aren't. We'll have to see how it does next year.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well one thing looks to be sure, if Inside Out 2 has a stellar open as predicted and Deadpool and Wolverine does well, Disney will be seen as saving the Summer 2024 box office. Which shows what a difference a year makes. I'm sure Despicable Me 4 will do fairly well too, but the headlines will read Disney saves box office.

Tony the Tigger

If we keep predicting a higher and higher opening every few hours, the ultimate opening number could sound disappointing, even if very high.

I have no interest in this film, but I sincerely hope it does well.

I guess she has no school friends with two moms or it would tank.

When it does well, can we go back and quote all the people who said it was unnecessary, unoriginal, and should have gone straight to Disney+?

CinematicFusion

If we keep predicting a higher and higher opening every few hours, the ultimate opening number could sound disappointing, even if very high.

I have no interest in this film, but I sincerely hope it does well.

I guess she has no school friends with two moms or it would tank.

When it does well, can we go back and quote all the people who said it was unnecessary, unoriginal, and should have gone straight to Disney+?
It's a shame you're not interested, because it’s a great movie that plays well with families. My kids loved it and are excited to see it again tomorrow with friends. Don’t worry about the numbers; it’s going to do well. It’s the perfect summer movie, reminiscent of classic Disney/Pixar films, and will resonate with a large audience. Great job, Disney!

erasure fan1

Well one thing looks to be sure, if Inside Out 2 has a stellar open as predicted and Deadpool and Wolverine does well, Disney will be seen as saving the Summer 2024 box office. Which shows what a difference a year makes. I'm sure Despicable Me 4 will do fairly well too, but the headlines will read Disney saves box office.
Wait, but how can that be? It should have been review bombed to oblivion. This all doesn't make sense anymore. Maybe everyone is too busy dumping on the acolyte and forgot? I just don't get it. I thought the whole world was against Disney. And everyone listend to click bait YouTubers to make their decisions? Or is that only when it's convenient?

In all seriousness, yes, if they do well it will go a long way to change the narrative. All people want is an entertaining well told story, nothing more nothing less. And if it is as good as the first, or close, it will be fine. If they win the summer box office, props to them. I know I'll give them credit when they succeed. Just as I'll call them out when they fail. Just as it should be.

Casper Gutman

The audience knows what it wants to see and hear. Take pop music, certain songs suddenly take off and become massive hits, seemingly out of nowhere. “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd.
You keep saying "the audience knows" and its just a gross oversimplification. A film's success is determined by a vast number of factors - PR efforts, cultural, social, economic, cultural forces, weather, competition, etc. Quality matters but its just one part of the equation, and audiences can absolutely be driven one way or the other - there are many giant industries dedicated to it. What's more, the phrase "the audience knows what it wants" applies less right now then it has at any moment since the 1950s.

Casper Gutman

Sony is like the anti-Disney at this point
Come on, I love the dedication to theatrical release, but let's not say silly things about the studio whose 2024 slate includes Madame Web, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, Harold and the Purple Crayon, and Kraven the Hunter.

Also, I'm not sure that it's a great sign that the Paramount decrees are dead and buried and studios are purchasing theater chains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom