Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Casper Gutman

The use of the same character assets from Luca, Strange World, Turning Red and other movies. Plain looking people with big teeth. The aliens felt like rip offs from Lilo & Stitch. There is just nothing interesting there. It looks like something from early Sony animation. There is no visual punch or anything interesting on the screen. No identity. Too generic. Uninspired. Even the scene of Elio looking at the alien world reminded me of Coco with different lighting. It is like they aren't even trying. This movie was suppose to come out Spring 2024 before Inside Out 2. Maybe they will take the year to modernize it or retool.
Ah, so it looks too much like previous Pixar films but doesn't look enough like previous Pixar films.

Casper Gutman

Well one thing looks to be sure, if Inside Out 2 has a stellar open as predicted and Deadpool and Wolverine does well, Disney will be seen as saving the Summer 2024 box office. Which shows what a difference a year makes. I'm sure Despicable Me 4 will do fairly well too, but the headlines will read Disney saves box office.
I mean, Disney's been saving the box office - and theatrical release in general - for over a decade. 2024 was an outlier that a lot of folks who hate Disney for their own reasons gleefully grabbed on to.

brideck

They also showed the trailer for The Wild Robot. That Dreamworks movie looks really beautiful. I can't wait to see it since I'm a fan of the books.

I think I'm going to be disappointed by the fact that The Wild Robot seems to have a massive voice cast. The trailer (at least the first one, don't know if there's another) made it seem like it doesn't need dialogue at all. But maybe I'm just spoiled by how awesome Robot Dreams is.

CinematicFusion

You keep saying "the audience knows" and its just a gross oversimplification. A film's success is determined by a vast number of factors - PR efforts, cultural, social, economic, cultural forces, weather, competition, etc. Quality matters but its just one part of the equation, and audiences can absolutely be driven one way or the other - there are many giant industries dedicated to it. What's more, the phrase "the audience knows what it wants" applies less right now then it has at any moment since the 1950s.
Is it a hit or not?

“The audience knows” cuts through the noise, it’s very straightforward. Look at the recent success of Inside Out 2 compared to Wish. IO 2 is packing theaters and topping viewership charts because people want to see it. No amount of PR spin or cultural factors can change the fundamental truth that people choose what they want to watch.

Inside Out 2 didn’t just magically succeed because of marketing or external forces, it succeeded because it’s resonating with audiences. On the flip side, Wish didn’t see the same level of success. Why? Because the audience wasn’t as interested, plain and simple.

And it’s not just about movies. Look at the viewership numbers for Suits. The show connected with its audience. When you see packed theaters for one film and empty seats for another, or massive streaming numbers for a show like Suits, it’s clear… butts in seats and viewership numbers tell the story.

I will entertain that timing can be an influence. Star Wars hit at the right time in 1977 to give a feel-good movie when audiences needed it most, but it also happened to be one of the greatest movies of all time. People watch what they want to watch. The audience knows what it wants, and the numbers for Inside Out 2 versus Wish, as well as the enduring popularity of Suits, prove it.

That’s my take

Phroobar

I think I'm going to be disappointed by the fact that The Wild Robot seems to have a massive voice cast. The trailer (at least the first one, don't know if there's another) made it seem like it doesn't need dialogue at all. But maybe I'm just spoiled by how awesome Robot Dreams is.
The books had a cast of characters. It wasn't just the robot learning to survive in the wilderness. It was the robot taking care of the animals. It was sweet.

Casper Gutman

Is it a hit or not?

“The audience knows” cuts through the noise, it’s very straightforward. Look at the recent success of Inside Out 2 compared to Wish. IO 2 is packing theaters and topping viewership charts because people want to see it. No amount of PR spin or cultural factors can change the fundamental truth that people choose what they want to watch.

Inside Out 2 didn’t just magically succeed because of marketing or external forces, it succeeded because it’s resonating with audiences. On the flip side, Wish didn’t see the same level of success. Why? Because the audience wasn’t as interested, plain and simple.

And it’s not just about movies. Look at the viewership numbers for Suits. The show connected with its audience. When you see packed theaters for one film and empty seats for another, or massive streaming numbers for a show like Suits, it’s clear… butts in seats and viewership numbers tell the story.

I will entertain that timing can be an influence. Star Wars hit at the right time in 1977 to give a feel-good movie when audiences needed it most, but it also happened to be one of the greatest movies of all time. People watch what they want to watch. The audience knows what it wants, and the numbers for Inside Out 2 versus Wish, as well as the enduring popularity of Suits, prove it.

That’s my take
There are ABSOLUTELY NO external reasons for the success of Suits. It's just SUCH an exceptionally well-written and acted show with a totally unique theme. Certainly a show that will be discussed in a decade's time.

This is like coming into a discussion of world history and constantly asserting "The good guys always win" as though it explains something.

CinematicFusion

There are ABSOLUTELY NO external reasons for the success of Suits. It's just SUCH an exceptionally well-written and acted show with a totally unique theme. Certainly a show that will be discussed in a decade's time.

This is like coming into a discussion of world history and constantly asserting "The good guys always win" as though it explains something.
Yes, agree. Timing can indeed be a significant influence. Meghan Markle's relationship with Prince Harry brought additional attention to Suits. Without that spotlight, the show might have remained buried on Netflix.
However, the audience wouldn't have stayed if the show wasn't great. I agree with you; it's a very well-written show. My wife and I are watching it now. Exceptional pick up by Netflix.

All this isn’t world history. It’s simply that solid story telling and well written characters attracts an audience. That and fantasy. There is a reason my wife made me buy tickets to Deadpool. Girls want to be with Hugh Jackman and guys want to be him…
… or the fantasy of emotion and giving the audience permission to embrace their feelings is powerful stuff in Inside Out.

Is it a hit or not?

That’s my take
I watched all of Suits last year because I was really bored.... it isn't good it doesn't connect with audiences. It was a hit because it came out as Megan Marckle became a household name when she married the Prince of England and went on the publicty tour. Netflix was smart to put that show on the front page. it's as simple as that.

People aren't going to the theater as much because during covid people could buy a 55 inch 4k tv from Amazon for $300 and they got used to watching movies at home. The convince of watching a movie at home instead of going to the theater and spending upwards of $70 for a movie has created a shift.

People only go to theaters now for big event films like Barbie, Mario, Dune2 etc. Inside Out 2 is an event film.

CinematicFusion

I watched all of Suits last year because I was really bored.... it isn't good it doesn't connect with audiences. It was a hit because it came out as Megan Marckle became a household name when she married the Prince of England and went on the publicty tour. Netflix was smart to put that show on the front page. it's as simple as that.

People aren't going to the theater as much because during covid people could buy a 55 inch 4k tv from Amazon for $300 and they got used to watching movies at home. The convince of watching a movie at home instead of going to the theater and spending upwards of $70 for a movie has created a shift.

People only go to theaters now for big event films like Barbie, Mario, Dune2 etc. Inside Out 2 is an event film.
Ok… disagree with your suits review but I’m only on season one.
Audience says this:
“In one week alone, it accumulated over 3 billion minutes of viewing, and in a four-week period, it reached a total of 16.71 billion minutes streamed .
This surge in viewership has made Suits one of the most-watched acquired series on streaming platforms, even breaking records previously held by other popular shows”

Agree, landscape of movie-going has shifted significantly. People are less inclined to go to theaters for smaller, character-driven films like Bull Durham or When Harry Met Sally. However Studios still expect animated features and big-budget family films, such as Wish and Inside Out, to attract large audiences to theaters.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Wait, but how can that be? It should have been review bombed to oblivion. This all doesn't make sense anymore. Maybe everyone is too busy dumping on the acolyte and forgot? I just don't get it. I thought the whole world was against Disney. And everyone listend to click bait YouTubers to make their decisions? Or is that only when it's convenient?

In all seriousness, yes, if they do well it will go a long way to change the narrative. All people want is an entertaining well told story, nothing more nothing less. And if it is as good as the first, or close, it will be fine. If they win the summer box office, props to them. I know I'll give them credit when they succeed. Just as I'll call them out when they fail. Just as it should be.
Maybe the bomber bots forgot it was coming out this weekend, I know some of our posters here forgot.

Seriously though, It is starting to get getting review bombed already just not heavy yet, you get nice little gems like this -

1718423261255.png

Clearly that reviewer didn't see the movie. I'm sure more will be on the way over the weekend. We'll see if it has any real effect.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Maybe the bomber bots forgot it was coming out this weekend, I know some of our posters here forgot.

Seriously though, It is starting to get getting review bombed already just not heavy yet, you get nice little gems like this -

View attachment 791969

Clearly that reviewer didn't see the movie. I'm sure more will be on the way over the weekend. We'll see if it has any real effect.

Rotten Tomatoes does such damage to itself by not finding a way to combat this nonsense.

Wendy Pleakley

I mean, Disney's been saving the box office - and theatrical release in general - for over a decade. 2024 was an outlier that a lot of folks who hate Disney for their own reasons gleefully grabbed on to.

And if Inside Out did poorly people would be tripping over themselves to find dubious reasons.

If anyone needs an example of this, look to the Mario movie last year. People were griping about it because Mario was portrayed as untalented until the princess taught him and turned him into the hero. Poor emasculated Mario!

Then it was a huge hit and suddenly the reason was because it didn't have an ulterior agenda or message.

It's obvious and tiresome.

Casper Gutman

View attachment 791969

They had lines of attack prepared - you can find them out there if you look. However, they didn’t gain traction and the film was clearly going to be a success, so we aren’t likely to see a full court press. The hate network needs to appear strong and successful - they won’t waste credibility among their massive audience. It’s one of the reasons they didn’t go all in on Barbie, despite it being an exponentially more political film than anything Disney released last year. TV series are always an easier target because it’s so much harder to define and prove “success.”

CinematicFusion

It’s all true, we had meticulously organized a review bot army to unleash a wave of heavy criticism on Inside Out 2. We had our lines of attack prepared, and everything was set for a full-blown review bombing. But then, something unexpected happened—the movie turned out to be good… really good!

The bots, emotionally overwhelmed by the film's heartfelt storytelling and vivid imagination, couldn’t stick to the plan. Instead of spewing out criticisms, they started writing flowery praises about the flick. Suddenly, our carefully orchestrated negative campaign turned into an unsolicited fan club. The bots were raving about Joy, Sadness, and the beautiful depiction of emotions. It was a disaster for our evil plan but a triumph for Pixar!

Who knew that even bots have a soft spot for a well-crafted emotional rollercoaster? Guess you just can’t fight genuine quality—even with an army of bots!

FRIDAY PM: There’s not stopping the influx of cash at theaters coast to coast for Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out 2which is ending Friday at $60M, the second best opening day for an animated movie after the studio’s 2018 title Incredibles 2 at $71.2M. It’s also leaps and bounds ahead of the first day of last summer’s animated hit, Sony’s Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse which did $51.8M. All of this is leading to the third best opening ever for an animated movie after Incredibles 2 ($182.6M) and last year’s Super Mario Bros Movie ($146.3M 3-day).

Not a surprise, Inside Out 2 gets a solid A CinemaScore, which is the same grade as the first 2015 movie.

Animaniac93-98

This feels like an important statistic, from Deadline's Saturday morning update:

"In a clear sign that Disney+ family subscribers will continue to come out to great movies, PostTrak noted that 52% of those watching Inside Out 2 are subs of the Mouse House service...If a Disney+ subscriber were to wait and watching Inside Out 2 at home, their kids would experience immense FOMO for these event films won’t hit the OTT service for another 80-90 days, if not more."

But it sounds like kids aren't really making up a large % of the audience, from the same article::

"PostTrak exits are still huge at 89% positive, 71% definite recommend with 63% women attending and 21% of the audience under 12, 32% between 13-17 (the largest demo), and 51% between 18-34."

Current weekend prediction at $140-$150 million

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom