Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

TalkingHead

"PostTrak exits are still huge at 89% positive, 71% definite recommend with 63% women attending and 21% of the audience under 12, 32% between 13-17 (the largest demo), and 51% between 18-34."
63% women sounds like Barbie audience overlap. Assuming that percentage is high for a family franchise title? Feels like a perfect storm for this movie: Inside Out hasn’t been an overexposed franchise, 9 years since the last entry, summer timing, Pixar brand, adult and critical well-regarded first film.

Kinda surprised I haven’t seen many if any reactions raving this is a great movie. Consensus seems to be good/okay, relief they didn’t fumble it with bonus points because of the good will from the first movie. Money talks but quality issues remain in Disney/Pixar animation.

Casper Gutman

When did Feige “leave” Marvel or only work in a part time basis?
After Endgame, Feige stepped back from close, daily oversight of the MCU to work on other projects(like a Star Wars trilogy). This has been widely discussed in the press and by the people directly involved. One of Disney’s primary reactions to the underwhelming 2023 slate was to have Feige return to his former role. That’s why you’re seeing even more dramatic reshoots, rewrites, and retoolings then is usual for Marvel,

Tha Realest

After Endgame, Feige stepped back from close, daily oversight of the MCU to work on other projects(like a Star Wars trilogy). This has been widely discussed in the press and by the people directly involved. One of Disney’s primary reactions to the underwhelming 2023 slate was to have Feige return to his former role. That’s why you’re seeing even more dramatic reshoots, rewrites, and retoolings then is usual for Marvel,
Can you share a source? He was executive producer on all of their D+ series and heavily involved in those series and those films. The idea that he’s spent time away from Marvel to work on his Star Wars film (that’s had no reported movement) is belied by the studio’s output post-Avengers.

Casper Gutman

Can you share a source? He was executive producer on all of their D+ series and heavily involved in those series and those films. The idea that he’s spent time away from Marvel to work on his Star Wars film (that’s had no reported movement) is belied by the studio’s output post-Avengers.
It's not a secret. It's been discussed a lot on these very boards. Iger discussed it in high profile interviews. And... you are aware other people can make Marvel movies without Fiege? They're just not as good at it, apparently.

BrianLo

The audience knows what it wants, and the numbers for Inside Out 2 versus Wish, as well as the enduring popularity of Suits, prove it.

Why do you keep bringing up Suits everywhere? I’m having a hard time following the point you are trying to make.

Suits was a modest success, a Canadian production (I watched it in its original run, my friend worked on it!) It has found tremendous success a decade later, never misjudge the power of the Princess lineup.

But what does that have to do with the point you are making? Audiences may find good properties a decade later? Sure I agree, but I don’t think you are telling us to wait on Wish.

Streaming numbers matter? Definitely agree, but then you are simultaneously playing off Turning Red and Luca, which had more individual viewership than Suits.

Anyways Suits is excellent. I’m glad it found its audience. No one is really arguing wish, Strange World or Lightyear are successes. People just keep arguing ‘someone is’, but no one is. Those movies all missed. But there’s another handful of movies that didn’t from both studios.

BrianLo

So...Inside Out 3 gets announced on Monday?

Based on how this weekend is progressing, I honestly think an attraction is entering the chat… add it to ‘the list’.

This feels like an important statistic, from Deadline's Saturday morning update:

"In a clear sign that Disney+ family subscribers will continue to come out to great movies, PostTrak noted that 52% of those watching Inside Out 2 are subs of the Mouse House service...If a Disney+ subscriber were to wait and watching Inside Out 2 at home, their kids would experience immense FOMO for these event films won’t hit the OTT service for another 80-90 days, if not more."

This is very important. I wasn’t sure if Chapek’s D+ strategy had irreparably harmed its audience. Particularly for Pixar. I think we see evidence of that unwinding during the run of Elemental. In the sense that audiences felt trained to skip things and when a product was actually good and not coming to streaming in short order, they slowly dragged themselves back.

Whether we were just waiting for something great or for audiences to be untrained (I think it is both), it’s clear the company can find theatrical success.

I think Moana 2 has a billion dollar prospects now if it’s reasonably reviewed and felt to be good enough quality.

bwr827

63% women sounds like Barbie audience overlap. Assuming that percentage is high for a family franchise title? Feels like a perfect storm for this movie: Inside Out hasn’t been an overexposed franchise, 9 years since the last entry, summer timing, Pixar brand, adult and critical well-regarded first film.

Kinda surprised I haven’t seen many if any reactions raving this is a great movie. Consensus seems to be good/okay, relief they didn’t fumble it with bonus points because of the good will from the first movie. Money talks but quality issues remain in Disney/Pixar animation.
That’s odd; I’m barely following this release and I’ve lost count of the high-praise comments and reactions I’ve seen.

Anecdotally, people in my life who I rarely hear talking about needing to see a theatrical release are mentioning this movie. There’s a lot of interest in this franchise’s ability to increase emotional intelligence/awareness.

To me, “Inside Out 2” proves that Pixar is still readily capable of excellent quality.

Animaniac93-98

This is very important. I wasn’t sure if Chapek’s D+ strategy had irreparably harmed its audience. Particularly for Pixar. I think we see evidence of that unwinding during the run of Elemental. In the sense that audiences felt trained to skip things and when a product was actually good and not coming to streaming in short order, they slowly dragged themselves back.

Whether we were just waiting for something great or for audiences to be untrained (I think it is both), it’s clear the company can find theatrical success.

I think it's important that older audiences wanted to see the movie right away too.

It's easier to put off seeing something that strictly appeals to children, but when the parents want to as well, it incentives everyone to get out and see it.

Inside Out 2 had the cross generational and adult appeal that was lacking from Migration, Trolls, Wish etc

CinematicFusion

Why do you keep bringing up Suits everywhere? I’m having a hard time following the point you are trying to make.

Suits was a modest success, a Canadian production (I watched it in its original run, my friend worked on it!) It has found tremendous success a decade later, never misjudge the power of the Princess lineup.

But what does that have to do with the point you are making? Audiences may find good properties a decade later? Sure I agree, but I don’t think you are telling us to wait on Wish.

Streaming numbers matter? Definitely agree, but then you are simultaneously playing off Turning Red and Luca, which had more individual viewership than Suits.

Anyways Suits is excellent. I’m glad it found its audience. No one is really arguing wish, Strange World or Lightyear are successes. People just keep arguing ‘someone is’, but no one is. Those movies all missed. But there’s another handful of movies that didn’t from both studios.
Because I’m watching it with my wife. It’s a good show but I’m only on season one right now.
I’m impressed by the viewership reach of Suits and how Netflix acquired it at a low cost, giving the show a second chance to become a streaming sensation.

BrianLo

I really don’t think anyone in their right mind had this pegged to beat Mario.

For context we were heading into the weekend with 85M domestic and 135M WW projections. It literally blew the roof off.

I’d also like to go back to that convo about its trailer views, which I said was odd to know what it even meant. But that may have been the most correlated of any early metric we received to the final weekend tally. We’ll have to see how that plays out with Moana and Deadpool that had more and a lot more respectively.

BrianLo

Less exciting story, but another one none the less for Disney. Kingdom had a ridiculous hold! I guess it was effective Fathers Day counter programming?

3.) Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (20th/Dis) 2,600 (-555) theaters, Fri $1.3M (-10%) Sat $1.9MSun $2M 3-day $5.2M (-4%), Total $157.8M/Wk 6

I almost wonder if they might attempt to re-expand Apes slightly or at least I’d be pretty surprised if it sheds a ton of screens next weekend.

Disstevefan1

And some context, still have a lot of markets to open in! This film is going to keep going and going.

Disney needed a big win here and it looks like they got it!

Disney PLEASE put a big beautiful NEW dark ride based on Inside Out in the Wonders Of Life pavilion.

Disney PLEASE do not Replace Imagination with Inside Out, please ADD a NEW attraction, do not reskin or replace!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I really don’t think anyone in their right mind had this pegged to beat Mario.

For context we were heading into the weekend with 85M domestic and 135M WW projections. It literally blew the roof off.

More context/comparison:

Barbie's opening last year was $162 million. Let's see how close the weekend actuals are to that

Mario's opening was $146 million, but opened on a Wednesday. By [Easter] Sunday, it was at $204 million

Frozen 2 was $130 million. Toy Story 4 was $120 million. Both unadjusted.

Inside Out 1 had a final global tally of about $859 million with $357 million coming from the domestic market.

A $156 million opening would put it #24 on the all time opening weekend list, while $161 million would make it #21

Incredibles 2 officially has the biggest animated opening ever, but the "live action" Lion King had a higher start

Anyway you slice, this is a big deal. It's also wildly unpredictable for an Inside Out sequel after the last several years.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Maybe the bomber bots forgot it was coming out this weekend, I know some of our posters here forgot.

Seriously though, It is starting to get getting review bombed already just not heavy yet, you get nice little gems like this -

View attachment 791969

Clearly that reviewer didn't see the movie. I'm sure more will be on the way over the weekend. We'll see if it has any real effect.
Wow. Literally one of the running jokelines of the movie were Riley’s various boy crushes.
With 21% of the audience under 12, 32% between 13-17 (the largest demo), and 51% between 18-34."
what ages were the other, um, negative 4% of people?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom