Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

CinematicFusion

South Korea is certainly a good news story. Elemental was absolutely carried by that market. Inside Out 2 could have a ton of upside there.

Again... Disney... pay attention to South Korea. A part of your P&R is built to be moved around the world for example.
I don’t think Inside Out has anything to worry about. It will be very successful.

CinematicFusion

IMG_3219.jpeg

Audience knows what it likes. This movie will be a hit.

BrianLo

I think we can adjust the odds to 99.99:0.01 of it not clearing Dune 2. Definitely a sigh of relief in Burbank.

This is also why I said the Pixar studio is still their most consistent and didn’t deserve to be lumped in with the broader Disney slump as easily. Soul, Luca and Turning Red were all very good movies (whether or not they were anyone’s favourites, they were good) and Elemental was one of their only success stories last year.

brideck

That would certainly make it one of the best if not the best opening of 2024, and put it close to if not in top 5 since the pandemic.

BoxOfficeReport is predicting $119m. The best 2024 opening so far is Dune with $82.5m, so this would blow it out of the water. That would have been #4 in 2023 -- very close to #3 behind Barbie & SMB. #12 since the pandemic, I think.

CinematicFusion

Deadline: “We got a hit on our hands as Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out 2clocked $13M from previews yesterday that began at 3PM, the best so far in 2024 beating Dune Part Two‘s $12M. The current Rotten Tomatoes scores are a 93% Certified Fresh rating from critics and 95% from moviegoers, setting up the movie for a potential $100M+ opening weekend. The running overseas cume is $22.3M. Look for Inside Out 2 to blow past its $135M global opening projection.”

Disney Irish

Premium Member
BoxOfficeReport is predicting $119m. The best 2024 opening so far is Dune with $82.5m, so this would blow it out of the water. That would have been #4 in 2023 -- very close to #3 behind Barbie & SMB. #12 since the pandemic, I think.
That $119M is domestic, it was the $225M WW prediction I was commenting on. And yes it would likely blow Dune 2 out of the water if this holds true, which is my point.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think we can adjust the odds to 99.99:0.01 of it not clearing Dune 2. Definitely a sigh of relief in Burbank.

This is also why I said the Pixar studio is still their most consistent and didn’t deserve to be lumped in with the broader Disney slump as easily. Soul, Luca and Turning Red were all very good movies (whether or not they were anyone’s favourites, they were good) and Elemental was one of their only success stories last year.
Agreed, too many were writing Pixar off based on one film that did poorly and using it to pile onto the recent Disney lumps in the box office.

brideck

That $119M is domestic, it was the $225M WW prediction I was commenting on. And yes it would likely blow Dune 2 out of the water if this holds true, which is my point.

Sure. I was confirming the $120m domestic prediction from an independent source because I've never heard of Jatinder before, and more predictions in the same specific ballpark should raise our confidence in them.

I have no idea how to find an ordered list of 2021+ WW openings without doing a bunch of math myself, so can't comment on where it slots into that list. Per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_openings_for_films, there are 11 films post-pandemic in the Top 50, and $225m wouldn't make it into that list, so definitely not Top 5 WW... yet. It opens in about a dozen markets after this weekend, though.

CinematicFusion

Agreed, too many were writing Pixar off based on one film that did poorly and using it to pile onto the recent Disney lumps in the box office.
The audience knows what it wants to see and hear. Take pop music, certain songs suddenly take off and become massive hits, seemingly out of nowhere. “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sure. I was confirming the $120m domestic prediction from an independent source because I've never heard of Jatinder before, and more predictions in the same specific ballpark should raise our confidence in them.

I have no idea how to find an ordered list of 2021+ WW openings without doing a bunch of math myself, so can't comment on where it slots into that list. Per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_openings_for_films, there are 11 films post-pandemic in the Top 50, and $225m wouldn't make it into that list, so definitely not Top 5 WW... yet. It opens in about a dozen markets after this weekend, though.
Ok, I was leaving some of the Chinese releases off the list and forgot about some of the others. Anyways, we'll just say it'll be somewhere on the list of top WW openings since pandemic if it hits or surpasses that $225M WW prediction.

DKampy

Plus… IMO dumping Luca, Soul, and Turning Red on Disney plus affected the gross of Elemental… Disney has been keeping the longest windows of any studio between theatrical and digital…if they do keep IO2 in theaters for at least a 100 days before PVOD… perhaps they can change perceptions back to Pixar being a brand meant for theaters

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Plus… IMO dumping Luca, Soul, and Turning Red on Disney plus affected the gross of Elemental… Disney has been keeping the longest windows of any studio between theatrical and digital…if they do keep IO2 in theaters for at least a 100 days before PVOD… perhaps they can change perceptions back to Pixar being a brand meant for theaters
I think Lightyear's performance also hurt Elemental a bit as well, which is why people were writing off Pixar.

TP2000

Hi, gang. Box Office is out for Thursday, showing the Inside Out 2 preview numbers and how this weekend will likely shake out at the domestic box office. Inside Out 2 is looking very strong, and Burbank must be relieved to finally have a summer hit on its hands!

Previews.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom