Disney After Hours was great!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Really, Larry? I ask an honest question, you don't know the answer, yet you respond with.......... nothing. And "through Sep." is misleading on Disney's end, since the schedule includes Sep. The fact that it only has one day in that month does not negate the fact that it is still including the entire month of Sep. Glad you took time to check the schedule and point that out for everyone, but not find any useful information. Now, can you actually answer my original question? Please, use your investigative powers for good!
Really, Timmy? You don't think that perhaps I was excited by your "through Sep" statement and checked to see if it would be available during my upcoming September visit, and that I might be disappointed to find that there's exactly ONE NIGHT in September this is scheduled... and it doesn't fall in my trip window?

It's not all about you, Timmy.

I am Timmy

Really, Timmy? You don't think that perhaps I was excited by your "through Sep" statement and checked to see if it would be available during my upcoming September visit, and that I might be disappointed to find that there's exactly ONE NIGHT in September this is scheduled... and it doesn't fall in my trip window?

It's not all about you, Timmy.
Sometimes it is, Larry, lol. Now we will both have to keep our eyeballs peeled to see if this opens up for any more dates! I will keep you posted (still only Sep. 20th as of right now, 1:15 am Pacific standard).

Willmark

When you think about it, and the time you spend in total doing whatever, your statement really holds up. We have done multiple premium fee events and have enjoyed them all, far more then regular time. Why? Because the park wasn't elbows and armpits. You would enjoy the scenery. You could have 20 feet between you and another family. It was much easier to get front row seats to the parade. The lines were 80% shorter.

Worth. Every. Dime.

Sadly, we have noticed an upward Elbows & Armpits trend even during premium hours. Hopefully this trend will not continue.
The problem is that it isn’t going to stay that way or reduce. Disney has been cramming people into the parks like cattle. Now they have figured out a way to monetize something that used to be free. Capitalism for the win but doesn’t mean it’s not without an attendant cost.

jloucks

The problem is that it isn’t going to stay that way or reduce. Disney has been cramming people into the parks like cattle. Now they have figured out a way to monetize something that used to be free. Capitalism for the win but doesn’t mean it’s not without an attendant cost.

I would assume that at some point people willing to pay a premium for lighter crowds will stop paying that premium if their care crowds.

It is like express lanes on the highway. We have them in Texas. You pay extra to avoid traffic. But, if traffic is just as bad on the express lane, income stops.

Interestingly, Texas handles this by increasing the price to use the tollway as high as needed to keep traffic light.

Disney needs to do the same thing.

Oddysey

I would assume that at some point people willing to pay a premium for lighter crowds will stop paying that premium if their care crowds.

It is like express lanes on the highway. We have them in Texas. You pay extra to avoid traffic. But, if traffic is just as bad on the express lane, income stops.

Interestingly, Texas handles this by increasing the price to use the tollway as high as needed to keep traffic light.

Disney needs to do the same thing.

You are 100% correct in your assessment. However, the one thing missing is that exclusivity was already provided at no additional cost when the parks regularly stayed open until 11am or later in the summer. I know this as someone who is a local and has used this to my advantage for years. 11am or later was regular summer hours for Disney before the after hours premium charge.

The express lane was already there with regular park admission and there was no need for an upcharge. I am glad people are having fun at this event, but not only does it come with an additional monetary cost, it diminishes the experience for others when Disney starts charging for what was once provided with a simple 1 day admission ticket and in my case an annual pass.

ppete1975

whats the difference in this and the parties like mvmcp? I would have thought the Christmas parties would be more expensive but they are 20 dollars cheaper. Are the crowds lighter on extra hours?

Much-Pixie-Dust

whats the difference in this and the parties like mvmcp? I would have thought the Christmas parties would be more expensive but they are 20 dollars cheaper. Are the crowds lighter on extra hours?
The crowds for DAH are considerably less than for parties, but it’s for rides and meeting regular characters, so the experiences are different.

ppete1975

The crowds for DAH are considerably less than for parties, but it’s for rides and meeting regular characters, so the experiences are different.
I loved the mvmcp because it "snowed" they gave free treats.. there was excitement everywhere and Christmas music... AND all the rides were walk ons. Its not something id do a ton but once a trip (I only go about every 5 years) I think its worth it (although when I go again.. thinking 2023) then the tickets might be 200 dollars.
2023 btw is I'm hoping tron rat guardians and star wars will be under 2 hour waits.

LUVofDIS

they gave free treats.

Those treats are not free, you are paying for them in your ticket. Kidding aside, I too love the parties, but not for the walk on to the rides. It does seem that the lines for the rides are getting longer with each passing year though.

Raineman

Disney either needs to expand capacity or cap it to reflect current physical park capacity. Not charge extra for something that used to be free.
Just wondering, and I’m not trying to be a troll, just would like your opinion-how can you effectively cap park capacity? You would have to start turning away people at the turnstiles with APs or people who have park tickets with no park hopper, and have decided to spend that whole day at that park?

RMichael21

We did DAH last week during our trip (only about half of our party decided to do it). We attended the 6/30 event after an early morning at TSL's opening. We bought our tickets through Undercover Tourists and received a 5th day free, so we decided that our "free" day would be this day, and used it to justify the ticket price. We left DHS at around 8:30am after doing everything we wanted and then enjoyed some nice relaxation prior to the event that day.

We arrived right at 7 and checked in (super easy, no line). All of the attraction lines were pretty lengthy still, so we did the Peoplemover, Little Mermaid and Jungle Cruise prior to around 8:30. We also got quite a few snacks that wouldn't be open during the event (i.e. Dole Whips, Big Top Treats, etc). Then, we got a spot for HEA and watched the show. At that point, it was quarter to ten, so we considered the event started, as most wait times had dropped during the fireworks and stayed low. We were able to do the following attractions from this point on:

Mad Tea Party, Mickey's Phillharmagic, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain (again), Big Thunder Mountain (for a third time), SDMT, Winnie the Pooh, Space Mountain, Space Mountain (again), Astro Orbiter, Tomorrowland Speedway, Peter Pan.

We did all of this by 12:30, when we decided to head out of the park (we were exhausted, as we had woken up very early that day). We definitely could have completed more, but we were all tired beyond belief. We slowly strolled through an almost empty Main Street, stopped by Casey's and took a walk through the Emporium. We were on a bus back to the resort by 1am. The longest line we waited in during the entire event was about 10 minutes for SDMT, with everything else being a walk on. I wanted to also do Pirates and Haunted Mansion, but the group wasn't feeling it unfortunately. A third ride on Space Mountain was also a no go, as everyone else was over the ride's roughness at that point.

I would say this event was 100% worth it for us. Not only were we able to ride our favorites multiple times, but we also got to experience attractions we would never wait for on a normal day at MK in the heat (i.e. the Speedway, Astro Orbiter, Peter Pan, Mad Tea Party). On multiple attractions, the cast members asked us if we wanted to go around again. Being the only people on our BTM train was a highlight as well. It was great to not worry about the blazing sun, stroller battering rams, screaming soccer moms and sardine can walkways. It was a cool night with barely anyone on the paths (I overheard a cast member say that they let no more than 8,000 guests in, but our night was far from sold out, I believe). The unlimited ice cream, pop corn and soda was great as well (we stashed about five bottled waters to take back to the hotel when we exited the park).

Sure, this is quite a bit of money for a total of 6 hours in the park (3 of which with no waits). But, we were able to get far more done in this time period than the 10 hours we spent in the parks the day before (in the crowds and heat, mind you). Would this event be worth it had we not gotten that free day when we bought our tickets? Possibly, but leaning towards no. But, we had a wonderful time.

In my opinion, those who say this is a cash grab (which I do believe is valid, but so are a lot of other things at WDW) should experience it for themselves at least once. But, those who are not able to experience this event or are unwilling, just know that the normal operating hours are still perfectly enjoyable. I do believe, however, that these events are happening far too often and should occur more on a weekly or biweekly basis during select times of the year, with other days being extended to midnight/1am. That way, it gives those looking for this experience time to do so, but doesn't infringe on those not willing/unable to pay the hefty price.

Apologies for the length of this post, it became a lot longer than anticipated. I just figured I'd share my $0.02 and provide some insight, as I just recently experienced the event.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just wondering, and I’m not trying to be a troll, just would like your opinion-how can you effectively cap park capacity? You would have to start turning away people at the turnstiles with APs or people who have park tickets with no park hopper, and have decided to spend that whole day at that park?
They already do with phased closings. But the numbers are set for something more akin to the MK of the 80s and 90s, not today.

jloucks

Disney either needs to expand capacity or cap it to reflect current physical park capacity. Not charge extra for something that used to be free.

Expanding would do absolutely no good. Not with 7 billion people wanting to go. You are correct, capping admission would work, but that makes no money. Premium charges for premium time is the only solution to crowds that make financial sense.

Or, if you wanted to be more fair, have flexible pricing that rises and falls based on crowd levels. Just like they do with adaptive toll express roads/lanes.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Expanding would do absolutely no good.
Oh, it would. Expanding with more space. More room. Expanding with a purpose to increase capacity, not demand. Make it clear that’s what’s being done, not that it’s a must-see. That’s the difference between TSL in DLP and TSL in WDW. For example.

I was party to a conversation recently where it came up that the MK currently has 26% less capacity than it’s all time maximum of the early 90s. That’s not just rides - it’s also surface area, capacity and the impact of fastpass.

You can’t reasonably expect people to pay more when it’s the only time of the year (school holidays for example) they can go.

But of course that’s the better option from an accounting point of view.

Missymoe4

$115. I remember when E-Ticket night... yes, yes, I know we're not supposed to be nostalgic or rail on prices that the market will bear. But here I am, doing just that. So, Slue-Foot Sue me.

There is nothing that can compare to E-ride night!! I was a pre-teen during that era and I loved running around the MK for three hours and being exhausted the next day. Those were the days.

CaptainJackNO

Be honest, do you lie on purpose or just not pay attention? This has been debunked over and over again. My last trip was eight nights at the beginning of June. Disney had morning extra magic hours at Animal Kingdom every single day. Magic Kingdom park hours were extended from the original announced hours every single day. Hours were extended in the mornings as well as the evenings, with more 8am openings that week than 9am. Morning EMH was starting at 7am, something you usually only see during peak holiday time. Not to mention the fact that Animal Kingdom, as a general rule, has added 3 to 5 extra hours every single day from what they used to do.

Of course this a cash grab. My sarcasm is directed at the outrage people have that this is somehow screwing them.

I was one who complained about the parking, paid but still complained. This is something you choose to do, and I see value in it. No problem here, unless you're shorting daily paying guests to offer the opportunity. This should, and it may be because I know little about it, be offered after normal park operating hours, but that would be my only gripe. If you got it, get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom