Disney After Hours was great!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or even later at times. And it wasn't even that long ago really.

Ironically, as a passholder, I would go to the parks for the last 3 hours on a Summer night because everything was walk on during the parades/fireworks, etc., and it didn't cost me anything extra.

As I explained in my original post, I am not bothered by anybody who purchases a ticket for this. That is your decision, and perhaps good value to you personally. However, in my view and based on my experience as a 15 year local passholder, this is great for Disney and not so great for the broader consumer base.

Oh don’t start...that never happened...that was 40 years of imagined nights...

Chris Evans debunked it.

They Also never built ahead of the current attendance level and the standby lines were always 2-3 hours in February and September across the board.

21stamps

This is a forum.

Yes, and apparently one thread isn’t enough to state grievances. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-after-hours-destroying-disney.937601/#post-8051287

Seriously, come on everyone.. everything at Disney is something that’s not essential and a pure luxury, including going to the destination itself. Some people may not see value in taking a Disney Trip at all. Disney After Hours is a limited night offer, not year round. So far I have yet to hear any negative reports from anyone who experienced it. Sounds like a win-win. Most importantly, it’s totally optional. :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, and apparently one thread isn’t enough to state grievances. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-after-hours-destroying-disney.937601/#post-8051287

Seriously, come on everyone.. everything at Disney is something that’s not essential and a pure luxury, including going to the destination itself. Some people may not see value in taking a Disney Trip at all. Disney After Hours is a limited night offer, not year round. So far I have yet to hear any negative reports from anyone who experienced it. Sounds like a win-win. Most importantly, it’s totally optional. :)

1530580330592.jpeg

It is not about any one individuals enjoyment on a given day...it never was. It’s about where the boat drags the rest of the fish in the net

jloucks

That's my thing. MK, for me personally, is more than just riding everything. It's enjoying the scenery, food, entertainment, etc.

When you think about it, and the time you spend in total doing whatever, your statement really holds up. We have done multiple premium fee events and have enjoyed them all, far more then regular time. Why? Because the park wasn't elbows and armpits. You would enjoy the scenery. You could have 20 feet between you and another family. It was much easier to get front row seats to the parade. The lines were 80% shorter.

Worth. Every. Dime.

Sadly, we have noticed an upward Elbows & Armpits trend even during premium hours. Hopefully this trend will not continue.

Raineman

When you think about it, and the time you spend in total doing whatever, your statement really holds up. We have done multiple premium fee events and have enjoyed them all, far more then regular time. Why? Because the park wasn't elbows and armpits. You would enjoy the scenery. You could have 20 feet between you and another family. It was much easier to get front row seats to the parade. The lines were 80% shorter.

Worth. Every. Dime.

Sadly, we have noticed an upward Elbows & Armpits trend even during premium hours. Hopefully this trend will not continue.
I’ve only been to one after hours event-MNSSHP last year. It was on Halloween night-which you would assume would be sold out-and the crowd levels were perfect. Short lines, not hard to find a good spot for the parade, a lot of extras that you won’t get during a normal park day (the HM characters on the lawn in front of HM, interacting with the crowd, was awesome). It was $330 for the three of us, but worth every penny. If we wanted to have a few hours at MK to ride whatever we want, after spending most of the day relaxing at the resort, DAH would be a perfect option.

I am Timmy

Do they ever offer this in December? On the DW site, it only shows through Sep. I wouldn't mind doing this on one of our MK nights, but with the xmas parties already taking up half the nights in Dec., I'm out of luck, aren't I?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Do they ever offer this in December? On the DW site, it only shows through Sep. I wouldn't mind doing this on one of our MK nights, but with the xmas parties already taking up half the nights in Dec., I'm out of luck, aren't I?
"Through Sep." is a bit misleading -- there's one night, the 20th.

I can get everything done in that time without waiting in the blistering heat, dodging strollers and EVCs, or hearing screaming families that should have left the parks hours ago for a break, but won’t because they want to get their money’s worth for their ticket.

This. I didn't "get" the whole Disney after hours thing until reading your post. Thank you. This makes sense to me and after discussing it with my husband, we are definitely interested and plan to check it out!

I was just thinking about MNSSHP (I'm going for the first time this year) and my date was a lot less than the After Hours price and we get double the amount of time plus exclusive entertainment/food.

Thank you for sharing this idea. That sounds like a great deal! I did not realize MNSSHP included all of those perks!

JohnD

General observation here. If someone starts a thread saying X is “great” and you’re tempted to pour water on it with your misery, don’t. I get this is the General Discussion thread but you’re not accomplishing anything by trying to bring someone else’s positive experience down. Find another thread.

JohnD

This. I didn't "get" the whole Disney after hours thing until reading your post. Thank you. This makes sense to me and after discussing it with my husband, we are definitely interested and plan to check it out!

Thank you for sharing this idea. That sounds like a great deal! I did not realize MNSSHP included all of those perks!

While it’s true you could treat the parties as a longer After Hours event, if you focus only on the attractions you’ll miss out on party activities. So for parties, I usually recommend visiting MK on a different day for the attractions so as to focus on offerings at the party (eg trick or treating, M&G, shows, fireworks). But, yes, compared to After Hours it’s longer and costs less. You’ll just have to decide what is important to you when you go.

While it’s true you could treat the parties as a longer After Hours event, if you focus only on the attractions you’ll miss out on party activities.... ...(eg trick or treating, M&G, shows, fireworks).

That is an excellent point I had not considered. Thank you for pointing that out. We only became annual passholders last year so I am still learning the ropes. We are going to have to pick and choose our priorities. I'm honestly interested in doing both of them now!

Much-Pixie-Dust

To maximize both experiences, you get in 3 hours before start time. So for DAH get to turnstiles at about 6:30-6:45 and arrive for Halloween or Christmas hard ticket at 3:45 for a 4:00 entry. DAH is great for rides, pics without people in them, and low crowds. You could also meet the princesses in Fairytale Hall, Tink, and Mickey Mouse.

The parties are altogether different, but great in their own way. Don’t miss castle stage show, parade, fireworks, and characters like 7 Dwarfs, hitchhiking ghosts, etc. Ride lines tend to be shorter than regular attendance days. Even low crowd party days didnt compare to DAH event, in my experience. We rode everything, except for Space Mountain (just bc I don’t like it and splash was closed due to temps or refurb) some rides multiple times with out getting off. I have the cutest pics of us on Dumbo. We were the only 3 and each had our own Dumbo. We were actually the only people in the area except for CMs.

If you choose to do any of the hard tIcket events, I hope you have a blast!

JohnD

That is an excellent point I had not considered. Thank you for pointing that out. We only became annual passholders last year so I am still learning the ropes. We are going to have to pick and choose our priorities. I'm honestly interested in doing both of them now!

That’s not to say you can’t do both at the parties but I’d plan a strategy. First enter at 4pm and knock out 2-3 attractions with FPs. You’re still in MK during regular hours. When the party starts map your plan for making sure to see the parade, Hocus Pocus show, and fireworks. Then plan everything else around those.

Hocus Pocus: See it at midnight. Smaller crowds and party is technically over at 12 so not using up party time compared to seeing it earlier. This gives you more time for other things during the party.

Parade: Watch the second one if possible. Again smaller crowds. But keep an eye on the weather. Go to first if there is a hint the second could get cancelled due to thunderstorms. I prefer to watch just in front of the train station as it comes around a corner and in front of you.

Fireworks: Only one. Find a good view on Main Street.

Everything else is up to you. If you have a must do M&G (eg 7 Dwarfs) get in line for it early. Lines for M&G increase around the park. If a line is moving at a good pace for trick or treating, sure do a few. Then walk on to attractions wherever you are in the park where manageable. HM might have a wait just because but you’ll be entertained by the Lady ghost. She interacts with guests. The Cadaver Dans (Dapper Dans re-dressed) are also fun.

Raineman

While it’s true you could treat the parties as a longer After Hours event, if you focus only on the attractions you’ll miss out on party activities. So for parties, I usually recommend visiting MK on a different day for the attractions so as to focus on offerings at the party (eg trick or treating, M&G, shows, fireworks). But, yes, compared to After Hours it’s longer and costs less. You’ll just have to decide what is important to you when you go.
I have been to one MNSSHP, and if you are going to focus on one attraction that night, definitely make it HM. I got to ride HM on Halloween night-bucket list item crossed off and something I won’t soon forget.

I am Timmy

"Through Sep." is a bit misleading -- there's one night, the 20th.
Really, Larry? I ask an honest question, you don't know the answer, yet you respond with.......... nothing. And "through Sep." is misleading on Disney's end, since the schedule includes Sep. The fact that it only has one day in that month does not negate the fact that it is still including the entire month of Sep. Glad you took time to check the schedule and point that out for everyone, but not find any useful information. Now, can you actually answer my original question? Please, use your investigative powers for good!

HM might have a wait just because but you’ll be entertained by the Lady ghost. She interacts with guests. The Cadaver Dans (Dapper Dans re-dressed) are also fun.

It sounds like so much fun! Yes, the Haunted Mansion will be a must. I hope we can snag FPs. I also didn't realize there was a second parade later on. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom