Discusted with Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jez

I have never read such a long thread before, but this one gripped me through all 14 pages.

I love this site...

billybluenose said:
Normal Discussion:
person one - i think this.
person two - i disagree, i think that.

WDWMagic Discussion:
person one - i think this.
person two - YOU'RE AN IDIOT! YOU SHOULD BE BANNED! WALT SAID, "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!" GET AN EDUCATION! ARGH!
person three - (happy thoughts, happy thought, eek!)
Yay Billy, that's why I love it.

wannab@dis

darthdarrel said:
ok I could be reading things wrong here but it sounds like Horizons was not built with structural integrity in mind in the first place.....
The primary reason to do away with the ride system and gut the building was to correct problems with building failure and reinforce and correct these problems, then install a new attraction that does not place as much stress that the old ride did

That right there tells me that they miscalculated something when they built horizons.
And this is from the link that you provided me with Woody.Not to mention I see nothing about a geologial fault all it says is that the structure was not sound and was not originally built sound so they built another ride that did not have as much stress placed on it.

I think you missed the part about the sinkhole causing the structural problems. I'm not sure that 'fact' was ever released in a press release by Disney, but it seems to be commonly accepted as true. A building structure can be seriously undermined due to foundation problems. Those problems can then be exacerbated by the stress of the ride system.

All of the above can happen without a "miscalculation" by the engineers. And, it happens in FL more than you probably realize!

darthdarrel

wannab@dis said:
I think you missed the part about the sinkhole causing the structural problems. I'm not sure that 'fact' was ever released in a press release by Disney, but it seems to be commonly accepted as true. A building structure can be seriously undermined due to foundation problems. Those problems can then be exacerbated by the stress of the ride system.

All of the above can happen without a "miscalculation" by the engineers. And, it happens in FL more than you probably realize!

I am not saying that it wasn't a sinkhole, but the article that woody linked us to barely even mentioned it as even being a rumor, the article basically states that there was some problem with the design of the building so they scrapped the building and built a better designed building.atleast that is the way I took the article.

KevinPage

Look for BRYANSBABY06290 to have future columns written over at D Troops.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No offense Bryan, but you did come off as a "whiner" about things people have complained about for YEARS ad naseum. People are naturaly going to :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: when they see this type of post.

Things in life change. Get on board or get left behind. :D

darthdarrel

wannab@dis said:

ok here is the statement from the article.......

One backroom rumor is that a Florida sinkhole formed under the building's foundation at some time in 1998 or some type of soil subsidence situation caused the problem.

it says right there that is a rumor and not fact as woody said :wave:
infact he directed me to take it up with Steve, Rumors are not fact.

wannab@dis

darthdarrel said:
ok here is the statement from the article.......

One backroom rumor is that a Florida sinkhole formed under the building's foundation at some time in 1998 or some type of soil subsidence situation caused the problem.

it says right there that is a rumor :wave:

I never said otherwise. See the quotes around fact? See the reference to the press release? I just noted that it's commonly accepted as true. Quite honestly, it's more likely that a sinkhole caused the problem rather than an engineering mistake. Mistakes like that would lead to lawsuits which would become public very quickly.

darthdarrel

wannab@dis said:
I never said otherwise. See the quotes around fact? See the reference to the press release? I just noted that it's commonly accepted as true. Quite honestly, it's more likely that a sinkhole caused the problem rather than an engineering mistake. Mistakes like that would lead to lawsuits which would become public very quickly.
Please don't take this as attacking you, I am not! LOL!
all I was saying that it is even stated in the article as being a "backroom rumor" IT very well could have been a sink hole. but it also could have clearly been a design miscalculation and as far as them being sued it isn't like Disney has been forth coming in every decision they have made, why do you think Disney Cm's have to be so hush hush about certain things?
And alot of times Cm's don't even know things till Disney management themselves come out with certain announcements.

KevinPage

Darrell,

Since we can never get a straight answer from Woody, please tell us: WHY does he have your pants :confused: :confused: :confused:

Craig & Lisa

If your not ever going to WDW anymore, can I have your spots on all the rides you would have normally ridden? It would make more room for my family and I. And the same goes for the resturants as well, this way we won't have to wait as long. Otherwise, as a book that I've seen is titled,"SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE!

Have a nice day

bgraham34

jojoyner55 said:
What I am amazed about is how illiterate this post was. Is there no education out there anymore? "Discusted" - I take it this means he took the topping off a pie. If he meant disgusted - well don't get me started. Doesn't anybody out there use spell check? or know English? This is so badly written and childish that it should be given the attention it merits - none!

There is a spell check on here. Sweet.

kellydisney

EFF THE SPELLCHECK!
EFF THE PARAGRAPHS!
EFF THE CONISENESS!

-Billy

I can't help myself... Hey BillyBlueNose, if you're going to insult someone for their atrocious spelling errors at least SPELL your insult correctly!! CONCISENESS :hammer: :lol:

To the original poster, I also have a hard time dealing with change. I used to love the Hunchback of Notre Dame show over in MGM, but they removed it only to cover it up with San Francisco, the theater is still there. However, I would never condemn Disney or refuse to spend my money there again. I love everything about the place. While some things have changed, the majority have stayed the same and have only been improved in time with technology. And MGM needed some thrill rides so I love those additions. Soarin Rocks, Food? Not so much. And personally, Body Wars made me :hurl: ! So if you ask me, I love those changes. The only thing that I miss is Hunchback. And I am all for making Spaceship Earth into a rollercoaster. Yeah, my Nana may not ride it with me, but my fiance will, and a new memory will be made with someone else.

Paragraphs and spell check will only make your (and our) lives easier going forward, it's just easier on our eyes as readers. And I think the post does not do justice to your age, if you want a "discussion", you shouldn't be whining like you're 12, and even some of our 12 year old posters on here are more clear and less whiny than this post so I hope none of them take offense.

And the Universal threat is ridiculous. I went to IOA and spent about 4 hours there before we were done with every ride and bored. I think you need to come up with a bigger "threat" to get that :eek: factor you were hoping for.

Overall, I'm just confused why you didn't go over to the Universal boards and post your rant there... most people here are huge fans and you should have known you would have been met with these types of replies.

Just my opinion. And now for my favorite quote and my sound advice to you...

"Put your big girl panties on and deal with it!" :sohappy:

Nemo14

back to the original topic....

Wow! I just spent 45 minutes reading this thread, and I'm still a little baffled by some of the responses. I'm not going to comment on the grammar/spelling/sentence structure mistakes since they seem to appear often on these forums anyway. But I think some of the comments made here were a little uncalled for!

That being said, I can understand where you're coming from, Bryansbaby. WDW has changed a lot, and sometimes we don't always like the changes. But it's still a magical place, and there are still plenty of classic rides that we all grew up loving. Yes, there are more "thrill" rides there now, but if you don't like riding them,(and I think that this is an issue with you) there's still a lot of family rides and shows. My 16 year old son still won't do some of the rides, but he'd never turn down a trip to the World.

I think the thing that bothers me most about your thoughts though, is that at your age, you're so negative about the changes that have gone on. My daughter is also 20, and she too misses some of the rides of her childhood (especially Mr. Toad). But on the other hand, she has a real appreciation for much of the things she didn't notice as a child (theming, use of space, accomodations, etc.), and she's looking forward to our next family trip (Feb 2006) just as much as we are.

OK, this post is getting long, so I'll just close with one more thought. If the magic is gone or greatly diminished for you, go to the parks with a child and see it through their eyes. Hopefully it will assure you that it still is a magical place.

kellydisney

Why be upset?? Umm lets think...you cant control how you feel about something. If I miss a ride that (for reasons which is no body's business) means a lot to me than of course I'm gonna be upset about the situation. If we had the ability to control how we feel about things based on the fact that we cant change them than everyone would be happy all the time.

"But Daddy, I want an Oompa Loompa!!"

wannab@dis

kellydisney said:
I can't help myself...

.... And MGM needed some thrill rides so I love those additions. Soarin Rocks, Food? Not so much. And personally, Body Wars made me :hurl: !

:lol:

That was FUNNY! :D

DisneyWales

Wdw

Ok I can see where your coming from, however if Disney World stopped growing it would become stagnant, people would not return as often.

It make perfect sense to replace old ride, despite the fact they may be classics, you can always cherish the fact that you have those strong memories, however i suggest you go out there to WDW and make some new ones with your children.

I know I haven't been to Walt Disney World during the "fabled" golden era, so some people my fell i have no right to comment, but I honest feel that it is the best Theme Park in the world, hence why I have traveled from the UK each year since 2002, and why in the last year I have been 3 times.

Something you need to put in perspective is that people who are new to WDW are making new memories without having the past cloud their feelings.

The fact that people like me are doing what you did when you first visited (i.e. making magical memories), must go some way to say that WDW still has a lot of the "Magic" it had during its "Golden era", its just grown up.

pax_65

WDW is not a museum. It's dynamic and constantly changing, as it should be. When Magic Kingdom opened, the rides were innovative and groundbreaking. People marveled with wonder "It's a Small World" and "Hall of Presidents". Certain classics (like these) should be preserved, but new rides and new improvements to existing rides should be made so people continue to feel that sense of wonder and amazement at what is possible.

Now, if they took pieces from all the old extinct rides and put them in a museum in Orlando somewhere, I would go check it out. Maybe we could even put on our 3D glasses and watch "Captain EO."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom