Dieting for Disney 2008

Mybails

Anyone have any answers for me on this one. I ate better - less calories, less fat - for the last few days. Chicken, brown and wild rice, veggies, water, really controlled my intake and what it was, exercised more and gained!!!! I'm hoping the consensus is muscle weighs more. But I really feel horrrid.

sublimesting

Anyone have any answers for me on this one. I ate better - less calories, less fat - for the last few days. Chicken, brown and wild rice, veggies, water, really controlled my intake and what it was, exercised more and gained!!!! I'm hoping the consensus is muscle weighs more. But I really feel horrrid.

Absolutely muscle weighs more! Alot more!!! If you've ever seen a pound of fat it takes up alot of space whereas a pound of muscle....well think of a couple of good burgers to put it deliciously:slurp:.

Now, I recommend ditching the scale and go by measurements once a week. I can fluctuate 7 pounds over a few days as you have to account for muscle gain, water weight (salt can really retain water and make you look bigger and hold pounds of H2O), literally the amount of food you've eaten (I eat a pound of veggies at dinner that will add nothing to my weight as veggies are free on WW, but on a scale I will have gained a pound whereas in the real world I've reved up my metabolism and am burning even more weight.
The scale is one of the biggest defeaters of people working out...they hop on see weight gain or no change and feel crushed.
So, measure your waist, chest, shoulders, thighs, biceps, and stomach area ONCE per week and watch those inches go away. :sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Muscle does weigh more than fat roughly 18% more for the same volume.

It would really be hard to tell you exactly what happened but a few days is not a significant enough amount of time to really see any positive results. If you have radically changed your diet and routine it will take your body a little while to adjust. You could also have added both muscle and fat, your scale could be a bit inconsistent, you could have weighed yourself at different times of the day or some combination of all of those variables.

It has long been my opinion that a scale is one of the most inaccurate tools you can use to measure your progress. Body fat is the key IMHO. If body fat goes down you are doing good, end of story. The same is not true for weight.

Mybails

Thanks everyone for getting out of my funk and to the measuring tape. Should have noticed that my clothes were fitting better, but I let the scale get the best of me. Used the measuring tape this morning and I am down 1/2" on the waist and hips. I know better than that but every time I look at old pics of myself I get so down, add in the scale and I'm a true basket case

Joy Peace

I only weigh in once a week and always first thing in the morning. I have to get a measure tape because I think thats how one truly sees the results. I know we all want to see those pounds go away but it is all about the inches. Three pounds down, yeah! Stick with it everyone you are all doing a great job!

sweetpee_1993

Okay. Yesterday I had my weigh-in and I was actually up a pound. :mad: I'm sure that had a lot to do with the stinkin' antibiotics I was on. They totally threw me off this week, bloated me up, messed with my tummy, etc. I won't let that deter me. Even as bloated up as I was, when I went to put on a cute Lucky Brand skirt I bought just last year it was hanging off my hips...a good sign indeed! Then today when I was getting dressed I pulled out some of my shorts from last summer (and I thought I was pretty thin then) but they were all too big. It was frustrating because I couldn't find anything to wear but encouraging that my bod is getting into really good shape. I even tried on one of my old two-piece swimsuits I had held onto for no other reason than I really loved it and ((drum roll)) it fit wonderfully!!! Yaaaayyyy!!!

The shoulder is still crap. Hurts if I'm not really careful. Grrrr... Still irks me to no end. I gotta tell y'all, I'm proud of myself for not giving up. So much worked against me this week in particular. First the shoulder, other health problems that caused me to be on these antibiotics, then stomach fits as a result of the antibiotics. Even as miserable as I was I didn't give up. I still went to the gym and pushed myself thru my run even when my stomach was in knots. The running is not easy for me. I haven't done it in a few years. It's down-right painful. Every moment that I'm running my body is struggling, my legs are killing me, I'm fighting to keep my breathing under control. When every ounce of my body is screaming to stop it becomes a mental challenge for me. I refuse to give in. I push my mind beyond the physical pain. When I'm done I feel like I've really accomplished something. It's one thing to have physical strength but it's a whole other level of success to have that mental strength. That's what makes me feel so much better about myself in everything I do: knowing that I won't be conquerred by my weaknesses, that I have the strength of spirit to push past and be the best me that I can. The BEST part of getting back into shape isn't as much the physical part as it is the nourishment of my spirit. Gotta love that. :animwink:

sweetpee_1993

great job! keep up the good work:sohappy::)

me on the other hand.....not so good.... 4 days of nothing but junk food:brick:

but I'll start new 2morrow! :lookaroun...hopefully

...after all, tomorrow is another day...

I love Scarlett O'Hara. She knew her stuff!

Congrats to those celebrating success. :sohappy:

Don't give up or give into those who are feeling like they slipped. :animwink:

jennc2001

Count me in too! I quit smoking 5 years ago:sohappy: and gained 25 lbs:(. On a 5' 1" frame - 25 lbs is really bad. I've been trying for the last year to take off at least 15 of that and keep it off. Ouryoungest granddaughter saw a picture of me grom before and asked who was the pretty lady with Grandpa. I want her to do WDW with the pretty lady.

I'm right there with you! I'm also 5'1" and I weigh about 175...no, I'm not embarassed to tell my weight :) People can't believe them when i tell them how much I weigh because I really don't look like i weigh that much....BUT, I see myself naked, other people don't! LOL! I gained all my weight (well, first when I had my son 3 years ago) but also last year I stopped going out and dancing all the time and stopped burning those calories and I blew up! Having a sweet tooth doesn't help anything either!!!!!! I know I can lose the weight because I lost 12 pounds at the beginning of the year, but between my work and school schedule this semester, I really have had no time. But let's be honest, I really haven't made the time! :)
Soooo, I'd love to join in on this! It's nice to have some encouragement sometime! My boyfriend does encourage me, but he says I'm beautiful like I am and I really don't feel beautiful!! I would love more than anything to lose 40 pounds and to be able to wear shorts to DW in September....wish me luck!!!
And good luck to everyone else too!!!! I can't wait to read up on everyone!! :sohappy:

jenjen1127

I started WW (again) in August when we decided to book our vacation for this August. I've lost 70 pounds thusfar. It's been a real struggle. I think it is true that the older you get the harder it is to lose weight. When I was younger and dieted, I could drop real fast. Not anymore! Anyway, I hope to lose another 25 in the upcoming 4 months until we go. That's probably not going to happen but whatever it is, it's better that not losing it.

jennc2001

Here is a great snack to try:

94% fat free microwave popcorn. A full bag is 3 WW points, a mini bag is 1 point. Now here is the FUN part. Seasoning it! Try fat free butter spray with:
parmesan cheese and garlic and chives OR
cinnamon and splenda (sugar substitute) OR
paprika and chili powder and crushed red pepper OR
cocoa powder (the unsweetened kind) with splenda OR
whatever seasonings and spices you can think of!!!

Here is another snack I enjoy:

fat free pudding mix made with skim milk with fat free/sugar free cool whip. That is very delicious indeed.
:wave:

I invested in an air popcorn popper and LOVE it!!!! I don't know about the weight watchers points or whatever, but I know it is NOTHING like bagged popcorn! I put parmesan cheese on it and it is yum yum yum!! :)

elizs77

I started WW (again) in August when we decided to book our vacation for this August. I've lost 70 pounds thusfar. It's been a real struggle. I think it is true that the older you get the harder it is to lose weight. When I was younger and dieted, I could drop real fast. Not anymore! Anyway, I hope to lose another 25 in the upcoming 4 months until we go. That's probably not going to happen but whatever it is, it's better that not losing it.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

If you've done 70 since August, I know you can do 25 in 4 months. I know it's hard when you've been on it for a while, but you can do it!

I went shopping today, and I've lost a size! The funny thing is, too, is that I was measured for a bra today for the first time in a while. I thought with the weight loss and since I'm not nursing, that would be a great idea. I dropped band size, but I've gained cup size! I know the cup is relative to the band, but geeze. I'm at that point where gaining cup size isn't good. And that's usually where my weight comes off, too!

jennc2001

where is everyone getting their WW points list from? I can't afford to join, but would love to check into their points list...I know some people have done it without joining, just wondering how!?!?

sublimesting

where is everyone getting their WW points list from? I can't afford to join, but would love to check into their points list...I know some people have done it without joining, just wondering how!?!?

There is a basic formula. It is I believe:
(Calories/50) + (Fat/12) - (Fiber/5) = Points

Note: Fiber can not be more than 4 even if it is a huge amount.

sweetpee_1993

I've never done WW so I don't know anything about that.

I have a little pamphlet thing I got from the doctor's office when I started their weight loss program in February. It's a guide to a 1500 calorie diet. Basically it lays out to you how much of what to each at each meal. It also gives you a basic guide to portioning so, for instance, you know that 1 slice of whole wheat bread is equal to 1 bread. It's very easy to understand and plan out your meals. The guide along with a food diary helps you track how you're eating. I started out saving like a fruit or a bread from each meal to use as a snack in between. :) I re-trained my brain and my body to proper eating with this simple pamphlet. As long as you know basic stuff ((like white bread is a simple carb so stay away from it...or don't get crazy with salt or you'll bloat up like a water-balloon, etc.)) it can work and doesn't really cost anything aside from changing your grocery buying. I can scan and email it to you if you'd like. Just PM me your email address if interested. I need to scan and email it to my sis-in-law already. I can bcc you in. :)

Now for my report: did good today! Went to Curves for my normal routine. Still laying off the arms because of the tendonitis. Had to weigh/measure for their records. Weight down to exactly 161 by their scale which puts me just 1 pound from my goal. All measurements are down by a minimum of 1/2 inch. Also went to the park for my run afterwards. Pushed myself a bit further: power-walked 1/2 mile, ran a full mile, then power-walked another 1/2 mile. 2 miles is pretty good. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up the gradual increase in distance running. Also, I'm doing my Quick-Fix 10 minute abs at home. I'm thinking about going to get one of those benches I used to have for sit-ups that let you angle the back down so you get that extra resistance from gravity. :)

So that's it for me! 24 days 'til we leave and it looks like I'm going to hit my goal in time. Yaaaaayyyy!!!! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom