Dieting for Disney 2008

Cole'sMom

I'll support everyone! I have been doing WW for over a year now and have lost 65 pounds. Congrats to all the "losers"! I have visited WDW 2 times while on WW and have enjoyed myself every time, but I still ate sensibly. I found I did so much walking that I burned off what I ate. I didn't go crazy, but staying OP is very easy on vacation (for me at least). I am now a lifetime member and I am at the bottom of my weight range for height so I cannot lose any more weight-I have already gotten threats of bringing my weight up or I cannot attend meetings anymore. I do strength training and cardio- I have a kickin metabolism now I guess... Anyways, I would love to help each other out-the more the merrier and ideas from many sources give great viewpoints! We take our first trip in May and I am a little nervous about going, but I know I can live OP at home, why sabotage all of my hard work over high-fat foods every day? I will indulge but only on the things I cannot get at home regularly, like cotton candy. Good luck to everyone and I hope we can all stick together!

Katie

Thiger

Hey Folks,
I actually lost 10 pounds in WDW last year. I ate most of my meals at The Land in the food court and had salmon and chicken (grilled) with the garlic mashed potatoes and vegetables, also had the rotisserie chicken at Cosmic Rays with the same sides. My meals consisted mostly of these options wherever i ate. I did have pizza once and we ate breakfast with Lilo and Stitch and ate at 50's prime time and at Hollywood and Vine, and I still shed 10 pounds. All the walking and concious eating may help you lose those last few pounds.

It's the Disney Diet!!!!

very well done!
Last trip we ate at the House of Blues to get a decent salad and chicken almost every night of our trip.

sublimesting

To seriously burn off the weight lift weights. This will speed up your weight loss so much. See, when you do cardio you burn off calories while you work out, and honestly it isn't much at all. 30 minutes of running 6 mph will burn like 400 calories. To burn a pound of fat you'd have to keep that up for 5 hours. But lifting weights burns calories for 48 hours AFTER the workout is over. First, it causes the muscles of the body to do more work. Second, it enlarges our muscle tissue, thus raising our metabolic rate (the amount of calories we burn while resting). This is because muscle is more metabolically active than body fat. So physical activity leads to immediate calorie expenditure during a particular workout, and also helps us to continue burning extra calories even when our fitness routine is over. Muscle burns 50 calories per pound worked per day. So lifting weights on big muscle like the thighs can burn hundreds more calories per day.

So do weights AND cardio and you'll melt away the fat.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
To seriously burn off the weight lift weights. This will speed up your weight loss so much. See, when you do cardio you burn off calories while you work out, and honestly it isn't much at all. 30 minutes of running 6 mph will burn like 400 calories. To burn a pound of fat you'd have to keep that up for 5 hours. But lifting weights burns calories for 48 hours AFTER the workout is over. First, it causes the muscles of the body to do more work. Second, it enlarges our muscle tissue, thus raising our metabolic rate (the amount of calories we burn while resting). This is because muscle is more metabolically active than body fat. So physical activity leads to immediate calorie expenditure during a particular workout, and also helps us to continue burning extra calories even when our fitness routine is over. Muscle burns 50 calories per pound worked per day. So lifting weights on big muscle like the thighs can burn hundreds more calories per day.

Very good advice. Here is a number that will get you lifting weights....If you gain 10 lbs of muscle mass you will burn an extra 3500 calories (about 1lb of fat) per week just to maintain the muscle mass.

A great tool for doing both cardiovascular exercise as well as strength training is the Russian Kettlebell. Here is a link that will show you numerous workouts you can do just a single kettlebell. Some of the things that this guy will do are pretty extreme but 90% of what he does anyone can do.

http://www.artofstrength.com/Videos/KettlebellTraining/tabid/178/Default.aspx

sweetpee_1993

Hey Folks,
I actually lost 10 pounds in WDW last year. I ate most of my meals at The Land in the food court and had salmon and chicken (grilled) with the garlic mashed potatoes and vegetables, also had the rotisserie chicken at Cosmic Rays with the same sides. My meals consisted mostly of these options wherever i ate. I did have pizza once and we ate breakfast with Lilo and Stitch and ate at 50's prime time and at Hollywood and Vine, and I still shed 10 pounds. All the walking and concious eating may help you lose those last few pounds.

It's the Disney Diet!!!!

I did that on our 2nd family trip in 2005...of course I had the flu the majority of the time we were there. I never stopped going even tho I had a heck of a fever. I lived on orange juice because it was about all I could taste...

:lol:

figmentisgreat

This sounds great! I gained about 10 pounds before my last trip in August...then, I lost about 15, and have gained 20 back...I am only 5'1", so all of the weight really shows on me...I'm in! My goal is to lose 15 by next trip (5/26), and I know I will have to be really, really disciplined. I think a support group on here is a great idea!

Disneyfan2000

Man do i wish this thread was started a while ago. I really need to lose weight. My plan now seeing that its to late to lose weight for my trip in april although woulda been great because im doing my senior pics down there but oh well. I plan on getting in shape for next summer because i plan on doing the Disney Career Program. (not the college program) But its so hard because my family buys all junk food cuase we have younger kids in my house so we really dont have the healthiest stuff in the house. So temptation is just really hard to deal with, espically when it comes to meals beucase it has to be somthing everyone is going to like, most younger kids wont eat salads or anything like that, so im stuck with say pasta alfredo one night and this Chicken Chessy pasta dish the next night. Ughhhh any suggestions? Id llike to drop 50 pounds by next summer. Im currently 230 i should be 180 im 6'2, Although my DR says alot of my weight it muscle mass so i have no idea whats going on:veryconfu And the fact that most gyms wont allow 17 year olds in ughhh lol but oh well i just wanna get in shape :p

JerseySkiddie

I'm in! I've been successful on weight watchers before and I just started up again. I'm in my second week and so far so good... a little worried about my weigh in on Thursday with Easter being yesterday. But we shall see. My next trip is about 3 weeks away so I don't have any goals for my next trip. I just figure the less I weigh, the easier all that walking will be.

I think this is a great idea. I'm sure we could all use all the support we can get.

Good luck everybody!

I'm so afraid to try core. I do highly enjoy the points system. But, have thought about giving core a try. But I don't know if I could do it.

What do you like most about Core? How easy/difficult is it at first?

I LOVE the fact that I don't have to count points. Also the core foods list is very adaptive for winter foods. I can make soups, stews and chillis core-friendly. I even have a cornbread recipe. The trick is to have lot of different types of food every day and all week so that you don't become dependent on just a few foods and listen to your body to tell when you are really hungry and when you are really full. It only took a couple of weeks to figure this out and the bonus is that I don't crave sweets anymore. But I do save wpas for a bit of dark chocolate every couple of days!:D

If you are nervous to try core, check out the food list and only eat them for a few days and track the points.

ChrisQ

That's good to know. Now I want to work out with the weights even more! :cool:

I'd love to lose some weight before our December trip, and I like the accountability of all us Disney freaks spurring each other on. I've been trying simply to watch my portions and to drink lots more water (I do better with the water at work than at home) and work out more.

figmentisgreat

you guys inspired me!

I just went to the gym and ran 2 miles on the treadmill!
One thing that really helps me as far as water is concerned is to have a big 32 ounce water bottle - sometimes you will run out of water in the little bottles, and I know I'm too lazy to go get more...putting it in the big bottle helps when I am mindlessly drinking it. Also, the gym I go to (yay rutgers $5 gym membership!) has a TV on the treadmills, so I just go watch Scrubs, America's Next Top Model, or some other show, and don't stop exercising until it is done...that way I don't miss any of the show!

I read in one of my magazines that it is really good to exercise in spurts - i.e. 30 second sprints followed by 30 second walks...i dunno how good that advice is, but I figured I'd share...
Another thing that I do is put a green tea bag in a 16 ounce water bottle...it takes a little getting used to, but it is really good for you metabolism supposedly because not only does green tea generally boost your metabolism, but your body also burns calories when it heats the cold water in the green tea to 98.6...

Again, these are just amateur tips that I've picked up...I really think the green tea and big bottles of water are good ideas though...they've helped me in the past!:shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Man do i wish this thread was started a while ago. I really need to lose weight. My plan now seeing that its to late to lose weight for my trip in april although woulda been great because im doing my senior pics down there but oh well. I plan on getting in shape for next summer because i plan on doing the Disney Career Program. (not the college program) But its so hard because my family buys all junk food cuase we have younger kids in my house so we really dont have the healthiest stuff in the house. So temptation is just really hard to deal with, espically when it comes to meals beucase it has to be somthing everyone is going to like, most younger kids wont eat salads or anything like that, so im stuck with say pasta alfredo one night and this Chicken Chessy pasta dish the next night. Ughhhh any suggestions? Id llike to drop 50 pounds by next summer. Im currently 230 i should be 180 im 6'2, Although my DR says alot of my weight it muscle mass so i have no idea whats going on:veryconfu And the fact that most gyms wont allow 17 year olds in ughhh lol but oh well i just wanna get in shape :p
The only date that is too late to start getting into shape is tomorrow. The key is to stop making excuses why you can not get into shape and start coming up with reasons why you can. I feel your pain with the temptation thing. I have 3 kids so there is always a wealth of easy, great tasting but completely unhealthy food options in my house. My saving grace is celery with some kind of low sodium seasoning. I keep it cut up and ready to go in the fridge. When ever I get that urge to snack that is what I go for. For your gym issue here is your solution. Buy a 35lb kettlebell and this video and you will have all the gym you will ever need. Do the video 3 times a week and within a month you will be well on your way to the new you.

dukehoopsfan

What a wonderful thread! I am an emotional eater and found myself at night sitting watching tv, drinking a soda and snacking on something. I have wanted to lose the weight I have put on - but haven't had the real motivation to do it. We have a Weight Watchers group where I work. One of the other girls I work with and I joined WW a week and a half ago. I opted for the Flex Plan just to give myself "guidelines"! After one week I was down 4.2 lbs! (I am 5'7" and started out at 192 lbs. My initial WW goal is 19lbs) I am nervous about the weigh in on Thursday because three days last week we were in NYC and I tried my best to make smart choices while eating out each meal! Before joining WW I made the decision to completely give up soda (I used to have atleast two 20oz bottles a day) - it has been 4 weeks now and I have started drinking more water, unsweetened ice tea, instead of straight soda sugar!

Last week I didn't start the exercise program since we were in NYC - but using the pedometer - we were walking on average 11 miles a day - so I think I got my exercise in! But Saturday when I got home I started an exercise routine - 1/2 hour on the treadmill and the next day I start the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt dvd work out. Tonight I was back on the treadmill for 1/2 hour.

I am excited about this thread and the support that we will all be giving each other! I will be thrilled when August comes and my family heads off to the Disney Wonder for our first cruise (followed up by 4 days at WDW!).

wdwmomof3

its so hard because my family buys all junk food cuase we have younger kids in my house

See, this has been my problem. I can do fine all day and when they come home from school & want a snack I end up having one too. I sat down with them and told them that we all need to be eating better so most of the junk food has gone out the window. We have all kinds of fruit, nuts and baked chips here now and that's about it. They love salsa & chips so we keep them here too but they have given up the cookies & junk. I also have a limit on soft drinks. They are drinking more water & fat free milk now and that is better for all of us.

Dinner is still an issue. My husband has lost about 15 pounds, he weighs 165 now, by watching his cholesterol intake. He eats an apple a day and well balanced meals. It's the kids that are hard to please. My oldest DD is now eating salads and watching what she eats but the other two are hard heads. They will eat grilled chicken and some veggies so we are working on them. It really is a life style change that the whole family needs to make together because after you lose what you want, you will gain it all back if you go back to the bad habits.

Is anyone watching "I can Make You Thin" on TLC? I watched it the first night but missed it this past Sunday.

santa's surpriz

This a great thread! I went to WDW in December and feared looking like a cow in the pictures. Pure motivation! I put on 35 lbs after my first child and a divorce. DD is now 5, let me tell you I was more committed to loosing the weight for WDW than I was for my wedding! I planned a visit to my best friend's home in Fl. which I had not seen and three years. I was embarrassed that I let myself go...she is still barbie thin.

I ended up losing about 18 lbs which was not my goal but I was still proud of myself. Being a single parent, working full time and returning to college after 17 years does not leave free time. But I made the commitment and hit the treadmill 5 days a week. It is the "me" hour of the day. It helps that I inherited my mom's dust collecting treadmill.

I was very proud of myself while on our trip, after returning home I weighed the same! I had a slow start this year and put 5 back on, but I am back to working out on a regular basis again. (Tonight I increased the weights based a recommendation on this thread. Thanks!) The truth is when I work out on a regular basis I feel better and have more energy the next day. Now that I am single, I think about dating again but feel that I need to get back to a "date weight." I think I need to plan another trip to WDW to motivate myself to get there!

My plan consists of munching on apples instead of chocolate and limit myself to cans of coke a day. Drink my eight glasses of water/day. I work out for 48 minutes on the treadmill. I read in a few different womens magazines to loose weight the key number is 48. The intensity is not as important as the time. I use weights typically 3 lbs but I bumped it to 5 for half of the time tonight. I feel good!

Missymoe4

Original Poster
First of all, congrats on losing 35lbs!!! That's amazing, keep up the good work!

I started Jan 2nd after weighing the most i ever had in my life.
I was 230 and should be more like 185. The problem is that I hide it really well so by the time I get to the point where i really have to do something about it I'm 40-50 lbs overweight.

Thus far, by swimming anywhere from 2-5 times a week for 20-60 mins and eating low carb I've lost 20 lbs. I've been bad for 2 weeks as I had a really bad fever and couldn't work out and needed carbs/sugary drinks to keep myself from dehydrating worse than i was.

Today is the first day I'm back in the swimming saddle, so hopefully I can do at least 3-4, 1 hour swims this week. I really want to lose 10 more before my birthday next month and ultimately have it all gone by Sept, when I go back to WDW again. That would mean 50 lbs total, 30 more lbs to lose.

Great thread by the way!!!
Everyone keep up the good work and watch out for the left-over Easter chocolate!!!

Thanks! Keep up the great work. :sohappy: Keep me posted as to how you're doing.

daliseurat

I notice everyone fretting about eating in the parks, but that is why diets fail. Enjoy yourself on your vacation and don't feel like a failure or dread food. People put too much credence into food and that is the problem - fearing it is just as bad as loving it. Look at food as a way to sustain life and an occassional treat but don't base your life or decisions around it and it will lose its power over you. Even most doctors will tell you that a 2 week binge once a year isn't going to affect your health. Also, you may gain 5-10 pounds while there, but you'll burn it off in a few weeks. So, ENJOY and do well at home.

Ummm. No. This is the wrong way to encourage people who want to lose weight before they go. A 2 week binge is BAD. Eating whatever you want at WDW and gaining 5-10 lbs is BAD. You are right about not fretting about it. No one should feel like a failure if they slip. But there's a big difference between indulging in something decadent every once in a while, and allowing yourself to go backwards by gaining 10 pounds. Once you break the hard won cycle of eating healthier, it's harder to get it back. Losing weight is about eating less, eating healthier and getting some exercise. And for many, many people these simple things are very difficult. I tip my hat to everyone who is trying to get healthier. What a great motivation, to be able to enjoy your Disney trip more by losing weight. And with all the walking you'll do, you'll burn lots of calories. And to whoever came up with the idea of imagining themselves AT WDW while doing their walks, BRAVO. I'm going to start doing that immediately.

Missymoe4

Original Poster
Congrats to all of you for beginning (or continuing) down this journey. Its certainly not easy, but with each other's support, success will abound.

I admit this weekend (with Easter) I consumed more than I wished. Tomorrow is weigh-in, so I am a bit nervous. However, holiday's don't abound around every corner, so I'm not too worried about that aspect.

But, checking in with one another (and just by me reading your posts) I think that we can work on this together.

In the meantime, keep up the good work! :sohappy:

farmgirl

Count me in too! I started March 19th and am down 7 lbs. I know it is probably all water but it was still enjoyable to see!:ROFLOL:

sublimesting

START NOW!!! Last year, in 3 weeks I lost 15 pounds before our beach trip by eating about 1,500 calories a day and running and lifting weights daily for 6 days per week. And 5 pounds can make a HUGE difference. With me at 200 I wear size 38 pants, at 195 I wear size 35.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom