Dieting for Disney 2008

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was a skinny as a pole til I was in high school and then blew out my knees and now not so skinny no more haha but I have tried losing weight like crazy going to the gym,dieting and all that good stuff but nothing is working so I have made an appointment to talk about the weight loss surgery,not gastric but that lap band and see what my options are.Don't get me wrong I am happy with who I am and stuff but in 2006 I went to disney world for my first time and my sister was a huge girl and couldnt get into the ride seats and such and I said I will not be like that I would die if I couldnt go to disney because i couldnt get on all the great rides!
What types of workouts and diets have you tried?

Count me in too! I joined WW last July and have taken off 45 lbs. I'm more than half way to my goal which I'd like to be close to by the fall for our next trip to WDW. I'm following the Core plan, which dosen't count points, not many people trust it, but I call myself the poster girl for the Core plan!

The good part about losing this kind of weight is that you need a whole new wardrobe, but the bad part is that you need a whole new wardrobe and that money takes away from the Disney dollars:ROFLOL:

I would say good luck, but I know that this kind of thing really needs good planning!:kiss:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
diets i have tried(weight watchers,nutrisystems,la weight loss) and workouts I do everything and I even had a personal trainer
Were you able to stick to the diets or did you go off of them fairly regularly? Were your workouts mainly cardio and how long did you stick with them?

Missymoe4

Original Poster
Count me in too! I joined WW last July and have taken off 45 lbs. I'm more than half way to my goal which I'd like to be close to by the fall for our next trip to WDW. I'm following the Core plan, which dosen't count points, not many people trust it, but I call myself the poster girl for the Core plan!

The good part about losing this kind of weight is that you need a whole new wardrobe, but the bad part is that you need a whole new wardrobe and that money takes away from the Disney dollars:ROFLOL:

I would say good luck, but I know that this kind of thing really needs good planning!:kiss:

I'm so afraid to try core. I do highly enjoy the points system. But, have thought about giving core a try. But I don't know if I could do it.

What do you like most about Core? How easy/difficult is it at first?

Disneykidder

You have to be at least 100 lbs. overweight to be considered for the lap band. A friend of mine had it done and looks great. She recently gained 25 back, but her band needs to be tightened. A neighbor of mine just had it done a few months ago and doesn't even look like herself anymore so it does work.

Me, I'd love to lose about 50 pounds (50 to look hot and 40 to look good). I was going to the gym 4 times a week and now they have closed. :cry:It was literally 2 min. from my house. So, since then I have put on a few. I need to get serious about WW. I know it works but I have to get in that mindset. With all of your help, I can do it!!

DivineMadness7

Re: the egg talk
If you really find you can't just eat the whites, what I usually do is make an omelet with 3 egg whites and 1 yolk. I often just use whites only also, but sometimes just that one yolk is enough to make it a little more filling.

I've done a lot of research lately on just focusing on "whole" foods. Some of the diet foods are ok, I know people swear by them. But I've found that when I get all the sugar free, diet, etc versions, I lose some weight but it generally isn't healthy and then when I try to go back to a more balanced diet, the weight just goes back on. Lately I've been trying to cut back on diet soda by drinking more water, some 100% fruit juice or an occasional regular soda. I've noticed a difference in a few pounds (some of it likely water weight) in the past several weeks by just doing that.

So I'm focusing on just trying to eat healthier. It needs to be a lifestyle change. I had lost 25 lbs on WW before, but I got tired of dealing with the points after about 4 months. Then all the weight came back. I do think it is the best "program" out there, especially if you're someone looking to jump start a large weight loss. But if you don't stick with it, many people find they slowly slide back into bad habits. It will vary for everyone, of course. I also think it is important to treat yourself every so often or the result will be a binge. I try to focus on eating healthy during the week, stay away from processed things, lots of preservatives and then on the weekend have a few treats.

I find at WDW that even though I eat decadently, I end up losing a few pounds. Not many, just one or two. But from all that walking, it seems to balance out. Every trip I say I will take a pedometer, but I always forget!

Thiger

First of all, congrats on losing 35lbs!!! That's amazing, keep up the good work!

I started Jan 2nd after weighing the most i ever had in my life.
I was 230 and should be more like 185. The problem is that I hide it really well so by the time I get to the point where i really have to do something about it I'm 40-50 lbs overweight.

Thus far, by swimming anywhere from 2-5 times a week for 20-60 mins and eating low carb I've lost 20 lbs. I've been bad for 2 weeks as I had a really bad fever and couldn't work out and needed carbs/sugary drinks to keep myself from dehydrating worse than i was.

Today is the first day I'm back in the swimming saddle, so hopefully I can do at least 3-4, 1 hour swims this week. I really want to lose 10 more before my birthday next month and ultimately have it all gone by Sept, when I go back to WDW again. That would mean 50 lbs total, 30 more lbs to lose.

Great thread by the way!!!
Everyone keep up the good work and watch out for the left-over Easter chocolate!!!

wdwmomof3

You can count me in. A friend of mine and I have started going to the gym everyday since Feb. 27th and so far I have lost 8 pounds. I have 9 more to go to be at me goal wait. We are going to the beach in May so I want to look good for that. :)

So far, I have cut out all soft drinks and snacking. I am not the gym type either. I had much rather be working in the yard, walking outside or swimming. So for me to go to the gym, it's a huge step.

I am so glad that you guys want to do this. I need all of the help that I can get!:lol: The thing for me is that it's hard to stay motivated. I am good at helping others, but not myself.

sweetpee_1993

Great thread!

I have battled my weight since my pregnancies 10 & 12 years ago. I gained 50 & 75 lbs. with my sons. 3 years after my youngest was born I was still at 200 lbs. and a size 18. I got into portion control and not just watching tv in the afternoons. I'd park my stair stepper in front of the tv and eat off smaller kids plates. :D It worked. I lost down to 168. I stayed 168 for quite a while. That's my plateau spot. My lowest since then has been about 145 but to obtain that I was eating very, very little, running a couple miles daily, and doing sit-ups and push-ups like mad. That was a very unhappy, over-stressed time in my life which I know contributed to the weight dropping. I didn't look good at all. I was too thin. Since that time I generally hover around 165-168. Again, it's my plateau spot. :D

On our December '07 trip I gained nearly 10 lbs. and (obviously) wasn't going to the gym daily like I do at home. That 10 days away broke my habit of going like I should. Then after we got home we got a new puppy so I still put my regular schedule on the backburner. Between Christmas and all our travels I never got back into the gym. By the middle of February I was back up to 180 lbs. on my 5'8" frame. I was NOT a happy camper.

After my check-up with the doctor I started the weight loss program they have at the doctor's office. Every week I go for a shot that contains low levels of HCG (the pregnancy hormone), a combination of 3 lipotropics, and vitamin B12. I also take a prescription diet pill daily (37.5mg Phentermine) to help curb appetite and boost energy.

They gave me a little pamphlet with basic guidelines to follow on a 1500 calorie/day diet. That's not hard at all. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. Watching what I eat is important. Even when I'm on a trip or out of town I'm watching and planning. We just spent a long weekend at the lake in a cabin camping and fishing at a family reunion. I brought everything I needed. I never ate a bite of anything at any of the meals that were prepared as group events. I stuck to what I knew I had to do. There was cake and cookies and cupcakes and I never touched them. My weakness is sugar and sweets so for me it's better not to even start because I lose all self-control. Then I'm on the cycle of beating myself up, gorging with bad foods to try to convince myself that I don't care, etc. I read it recently and another person on this thread said it also, food is not for enjoying or entertaining. You have to set your mind that it is fuel. Nothing more or less. That's not to say I never indulge. I ate some of my son's birthday cake a few weeks ago. I ate 4 or 5 fries covered in cheese last night. I give myself a few little treats ever couple weeks. But I don't look for reasons or excuses to do it. For the most part I look at my food choices in terms of how long will this keep me sustained or how much energy can I get from this? Simple sugars, white breads, etc. take nothing for your body to convert straight to sugar. It's useless to eat this stuff and makes me hungry immediately. Food is fuel. I want good, high-octane fuel!

I go to Curves every day during the week after I drop my boys off at school. According to the Smart Equipment there my 30 minute workout has me burning anywhere from 650 to 750 calories each day. ((Think about that! That's more calories than I eat between my breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack combined!!)) To accomplish such a high burn rate I work each repetition on each machine with ever ounce of strength and effort I can throw against it. Just like with any workout, you get back what you put into it. If I go to Curves and just go through the motions I burn about half my norm. But if I make the most of my 30 minutes by pushing myself as far as I can then I maximize every aspect of my time there. I don't enjoy the pain or discomfort of the workout. I'm a lazy person by nature. It's very hard, very intense work for me. I'd even venture to say it's more work psychologically than anything else. I have to keep focused and keep pushing past any barriers my body tries to throw at me. Overall I highly, highly recommend Curves. It can really do a lot if you put 120% into each and every workout.

Since I started my program in the middle of February I have shed 12 lbs. and more than 3 inches from my waist. I was measured last Friday and even my upper arms have reduced in size by 1.5 inches. I have 8 lbs. to go to reach my target weight of 160. Much more below 160 makes me look unhealthy. I have a more muscular build so I tend to carry more weight than most folks think by looking at me. More importantly, my BMI has gone from 30.3% to under 28%. Reducing the fat and adding lean muscle is what I work towards more than the weight or size numbers. I like feeling healthier and physically stronger.

Soooo, when the hubby and I hit WDW for our May trip I hope to not only wear my tank tops without shame, I wanna look and feel like I do them justice with good tone and shape. I suppose weight and health will always be an effort for me. But it's one that I get a lot out of. Maintaining my physical health improves my psychological health, adds energy, and makes a night and day difference with my lifelong struggle with insomnia. There are so many benefits beyond appearance to being as healthy as possible. I enjoy reaping the benefits of my hard work. The sense of accomplishement is so uplifting.

I love this thread!!!!! Thanks to the OP and all the subsequent participants!

:sohappy:

wedway71

Yes I would like to drop some pounds for my May trip to WDW.

I already bought my Zebra Speedo and cant wait to show off my "Hot" Bod to all the ladies....:eek:

Jessica618

I too have been dieting...kinda :p

I'm going the last week of October and I figure if I lose 5lbs a month (1lb week) I should have no trouble losing my target 30lbs by Micka Mouse time :ROFLOL:

I like most take 200000 pics while I'm there and I don't want to scrap all of them because I think I look fat in them.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I'm down 55 pounds since my last trip (9/2007) due to lap-band surgery. I would like to be down another 45 pounds by December and my goal is to 'maintain' my weight while on vacation this upcoming December. :lol:

Ravenclaw87

I haven't posted in forever, but I do like the sound of this post. :)

I have NO idea when I'm going back to the world, but I just took a mini-trip last week (Went to the parks everyday, but stayed with my grandparents and not On Property) and did NOT like the way I looked in pictures... so I started Weight Watchers, and am already down 5lbs!!!

Now, let's pray for free dining to start in mid-August so I can go and eat a lot of good, free food!!! :sohappy:

CaptainJackNO

Hey Folks,
I actually lost 10 pounds in WDW last year. I ate most of my meals at The Land in the food court and had salmon and chicken (grilled) with the garlic mashed potatoes and vegetables, also had the rotisserie chicken at Cosmic Rays with the same sides. My meals consisted mostly of these options wherever i ate. I did have pizza once and we ate breakfast with Lilo and Stitch and ate at 50's prime time and at Hollywood and Vine, and I still shed 10 pounds. All the walking and concious eating may help you lose those last few pounds.

It's the Disney Diet!!!!

Congratulations, and Keep it up to all of those trying to lose weight. Losing weight and keeping it off is the hardest thing to do, even harder than quiting smoking. Now that I just turned 40, im joining my follow Disney Vacationers in trying to slim down. The best thing for a Disney trip would seem to be lose the weight like your going to be spending all your time at WDW, walking. I started on the treadmill, and will head outside if this damn winter ever goes away (sorry i swore). My goal...20# or so. Good luck, and remeber there more reasons to lose weight than just a vacation, but if thats the motivation you need, then stick to it. Its getting hard to keep up with the kids, me and my wife need to shape up just to keep up with them.

Kriszee1

I'm in....I could not stand to look at our pictures from our last trip in November. I began on Jan 2nd and we did the biggest loser at work. I have lost 27 pounds and I want 20 more! Let's go!

I work out 5 days a week...2 days of 40 minutes cardio and three days curcuit training. The two days I take off...I do dumbell workouts and core. I am really stuck right now and I am finding it harder to stay motivated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom