Dieting for Disney 2008

Joy Peace

Ok so I had a really rough weekend.:( My sons 7th birthday party it just threw everything off for me.:brick: I weighed in and had not gained anything which I was shocked:eek: but glad:). I got back to my routine today and I actually walked farther in the same amount of time today. So I must be getting stronger.:sohappy: Does anyone know if it is ok to walk 2 times a day (morning/evening) for a least 30 min each time? I know that there is a limit of no more than an hour but is that daily or at a time?:shrug: I feel like the more I get in the better off I will be in the end. Anyway, kudos to those who have had success this past week keep up the good work everyone, it will be worth it in the end!:sohappy:

sublimesting

Ok so I had a really rough weekend.:( My sons 7th birthday party it just threw everything off for me.:brick: I weighed in and had not gained anything which I was shocked:eek: but glad:). I got back to my routine today and I actually walked farther in the same amount of time today. So I must be getting stronger.:sohappy: Does anyone know if it is ok to walk 2 times a day (morning/evening) for a least 30 min each time? I know that there is a limit of no more than an hour but is that daily or at a time?:shrug: I feel like the more I get in the better off I will be in the end. Anyway, kudos to those who have had success this past week keep up the good work everyone, it will be worth it in the end!:sohappy:

You can walk several times per day. The only thing with the hour is for vigorous excercise where you're breaking down and tearing alot of muscles. Alot of people don't realize that what you are doing when you build muscle is making small stress rips in the current muscle. As the new fibres fill it in the muscle gets bigger and thus stronger. They heal fast ( a few days) but that is why you don't push them and rest and also why when you hit that hour mark you want to stop because you don't want your damaged muscles flooded with cortisol and lactic acid.

Kerby626

You should exercise in a way that's comfortable. If you want to walk twice a day, go for it. Then add some light weights, get an all over workout of sorts. It's more than just walking though. Playing with your kids is another way to get some exercise AND bond with the youngins'. I like nature walks myself, but then again I train Marines and I have to walk up and down hills with up to 90 extra pounds. But hey, that's me!

sublimesting

oooh so will walking twice a day help one to loose weight? And should it be for 30min each time or 45 min each time?:shrug:

You're refering to my other post I see. Well, like I said there is no magic number that you'll hit like 45 minutes will start melting away the fat (that's the point of my previous post - which is in reference to walking as that is what you were talking about). Every bit you do WILL help (maybe not much, though), but time alone isn't everything. Would I recommend walking twice a day for an hour each time...Yes. Is that the best thing you can do to get fit? Absolutely not. 60 minutes is better than 45 which is better than 30, but you're not going to hit 45 minutes or even 60 and all of the sudden notice miraculous weight loss. I'd work towards higher impact aerobics. Walking burns 125 calories per half hour and running burns more than triple that. So running for 1/2 an hour is better than walking for 45 minutes twice per day both to conserve time, to burn more calories, AND for aerobic health. Walking for 8 hours straight won't build up your cardio health as much as running for 30 minutes once per day will because walking isn't taxing to your system and if it is your body will quickly adapt because we are built to walk and move all day.

LoriMistress

I've been losing more weight. I'm now at a size 12 (I was originally a size 18 last year). I haven't been exercising since our trip back from WDW in Dec '07, but I've been playing a lot of Rock Band (drums), and been losing more weight. I'm not going to complain at all about dropping the weight. I've been normally playing Rock Band an average about 4-5 times a week (normally from 1-4 hours...depending on the mood and who's over at our place).

DH and I are planning to go back to DLR next year (we want to go this year, but since we're in the process of purchasing a home, we want to be realistic). I've made numerous posts on this board of my struggles and journey to lose weight. I've worked hard and the weight has been staying off. It may not be melting off, but the weight is staying off and that's the most important part.

LoriMistress

oooh so will walking twice a day help one to loose weight? And should it be for 30min each time or 45 min each time?:shrug:

You might want to change your exercise routine. I was using a bouncy ball and wrist weights for a year, and after a while--not matter how long I would work out the weight was much harder to come off within time. Maybe walk for 45 minutes one day with wrist/ankle weights, and the next day lift weights for 15 minutes. Changing up a work-out routine can make a huge difference.

Joy Peace

ok well I guess I will just have to do what I can do. I cant run because of knee problems so walking is about all I can handle as far as pushing my body. So is there anything else I can do to increase fat burning other than running? :shrug:

LoriMistress

ok well I guess I will just have to do what I can do. I cant run because of knee problems so walking is about all I can handle as far as pushing my body. So is there anything else I can do to increase fat burning other than running? :shrug:
Lift weights. The fat will turn into mussel. You'll start off as gaining weight, but that's because mussel weights more then fat; but you'll notice a huge difference in your dress/pant size.

Tinkerbella16

You're refering to my other post I see. Well, like I said there is no magic number that you'll hit like 45 minutes will start melting away the fat (that's the point of my previous post - which is in reference to walking as that is what you were talking about). Every bit you do WILL help (maybe not much, though), but time alone isn't everything. Would I recommend walking twice a day for an hour each time...Yes. Is that the best thing you can do to get fit? Absolutely not. 60 minutes is better than 45 which is better than 30, but you're not going to hit 45 minutes or even 60 and all of the sudden notice miraculous weight loss. I'd work towards higher impact aerobics. Walking burns 125 calories per half hour and running burns more than triple that. So running for 1/2 an hour is better than walking for 45 minutes twice per day both to conserve time, to burn more calories, AND for aerobic health. Walking for 8 hours straight won't build up your cardio health as much as running for 30 minutes once per day will because walking isn't taxing to your system and if it is your body will quickly adapt because we are built to walk and move all day.

You seem to know a whole lot about health and fitness. Did you study this before or work as a trainer before?? You responses are very, very helpful land useful. I've been reading all the way to beginning just reading your posts because I find it very helpful for myself and it motivates me. I am real big on going to the gym at least 4 times during the week, early in the morning...and I really love going, and I doubted myself a few months ago about sticking with it. I feel like I have really been doing a great job and why stop now, when I am happy so far with results. I learned to be patient with it, and that a great body just doesnt appear overnight.

sublimesting

Lift weights. The fat will turn into mussel. You'll start off as gaining weight, but that's because mussel weights more then fat; but you'll notice a huge difference in your dress/pant size.

Allow me to explain. Fat won't turn into muscle, the fat will just shrink. This is why eating properly is so important: ONCE YOU MAKE THE FAT CELLS THEY NEVER GO AWAY! :lookarounYou can only shrink the fat cells down but not truly burn them off for good. So you have to think of them as water balloons that you are leting the water out of. But muscle is muscle and fat is fat and conversely if you are very muscluar the muscle will not turn into fat when you stop. It is a popular myth that fat turns into muscle and vice versa depending on your level of fitness. Now, you are very correct about lifting weights. That WILL burn off more fat than anything else you can do. And muscle DOES weigh more than fat so you will gain more weight but it will be good weight. After the initial weight gains you will lose weight as fat goes away. And you will notice a huge difference in clothes sizes even by weighing more.:eek:

sublimesting

You seem to know a whole lot about health and fitness. Did you study this before or work as a trainer before?? You responses are very, very helpful land useful. I've been reading all the way to beginning just reading your posts because I find it very helpful for myself and it motivates me. I am real big on going to the gym at least 4 times during the week, early in the morning...and I really love going, and I doubted myself a few months ago about sticking with it. I feel like I have really been doing a great job and why stop now, when I am happy so far with results. I learned to be patient with it, and that a great body just doesnt appear overnight.

Growing up my parents were health nuts but my Mom especially would just read fitness magazines and recite this stuff to me constantly. I have always worked in a healthcare setting and been surrounded by anatomy and physiology and such and I majored in biology. Also, I always have gone to a gym and by default learned alot. This comes easliy to me for some reason....I guess it's my thing. Glad my postings are helpful to you.

Keep up the good work! Remember, the good feelings you get from being thin and healthy feel better then the good feelings you get from sitting around eating. True, there are plenty of days I want nothign more than to be lazy and eat donuts:slurp:...and soemtimes I do this too, but always get right back up on the horse and keep going. A bad day every once in awhile won't destroy you, and even if you pig out on vacation for 2 weeks that's fine too, but always restart and LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE: not how you feel or look today but how you will feel and look in 6 months or over your life. Sometimes it is frustrating cause you want to lose the 55 or 70 pounds NOW and you only drop 1 or 2 per week, but know that next year it will all be done.

YES, it does get gruelling :brick:going day after day so try to change up what you do and don't be afraid to take a workjout rest for a week every once in awhile. Eat properly, mind you, but give your body some down time. A little tip I do is that every 6 weeks or so , I don't work out at all for 1 week! I notice so much weight loss and muscle growth in this time. MUSCLES NEED TO REST but healthy eating does not.

sublimesting

If you belong to a gym try: eliptical machine, rowing machine, exercise bike. Definately do some free weights (wieghts are nice because you can sit and watch TV and do them. or do a quick 1 minute set every so often throughout the day. Actually, doing yoga or situps can even be aerobic if you do them with intensity and they are very low impact on your joints but moderate on your muscles.

Tinkerbella16

If you belong to a gym try: eliptical machine, rowing machine, exercise bike. Definately do some free weights (wieghts are nice because you can sit and watch TV and do them. or do a quick 1 minute set every so often throughout the day. Actually, doing yoga or situps can even be aerobic if you do them with intensity and they are very low impact on your joints but moderate on your muscles.

Funny that you mentioned the rowing machine. I never knew what one was until a month ago. A guy I work with told me that you'll get a very good workout from a rowing machine, because its works multiple areas of your body all at once. He said that they are very hard to find in gyms these days, but luckily I looked and we have 2 of them at my gym...so I am going to start next week using the rowing machine for 10 minutes, and the eliptical for 20 minutes 1 day out of the week, since the eliptical machine is the ONE thing I always use when im at the gym. I dont even look at a treadmill anymore, it does nothing for me like an eliptical does. I have to start changing up my workout routine a bit, so using the rowing machine will definately help.

Mybails

hey Folks!! I sure hope that the posts have died because everyone is so busy working out. I know I was absent because I didn't workout and was feeling bad about it. okay - quick hands up pole - working out ?
Not working out ?
I am going to work out tonight. No matter who or what gets in my way.

how is everyone doing?

sublimesting

hey Folks!! I sure hope that the posts have died because everyone is so busy working out. I know I was absent because I didn't workout and was feeling bad about it. okay - quick hands up pole - working out ?
Not working out ?
I am going to work out tonight. No matter who or what gets in my way.

how is everyone doing?

I have a great reason to NEVER get discouraged and NEVER use the scale: Two weekends ago I inexplicably gained 7 lbs. My clothes fit even better and I looked a bit smaller but I freakin gained 7 pounds between Friday and Sunday by doing nothing different. It seems like all of the sudden my muscles kicked in and hit a growth spurt out of nowhere (they were very very sore all weekend). So, for the last 2 weeks I have intensified my eating properly and excercising and my weight will NOT budge!

Now, I've said before that weight doesn't matter as much as the tape measure but you still do want to be mindful of weight as a stressor on your body. 200 lbs of muscle instead of fat makes no difference to knees and other joints.

figment3258

New here

Hi all. I just happened to stumble across this post and I would love to join in. I started to diet about 3 weeks ago and i have lost 8 out of my 25 lbs. I did slip a lot last week but i only gained a half of pound.
Is everybody free styling it or are most of you on a certain diet program.

For me i just cut out all that bad junk food. I buy smart one meals and love them. I also gave up all caffeine and all I drink now is flavored waters. I don't really have time to work out but i teach a hip hop dance class and I also assist on the 5 year old ballet class. I try to walk twice a day but now we are getting rain.

to all of you keep up the great work!

sweetpee_1993

I've just been soooo busy aside from working out. Nope, not slacking on my work out regimen. At my weigh-in this past Thursday I was down to 159.9. My goal was 160 so I feel like I've made the big milestone. I don't want to stop. I wonder what I'm capable of just doing the healthier, smaller portion, controlled eating and regular excercise reginmen. It's so fun to wear clothes I never thought I'd be able to or have stuff falling off my hips that I always considered my skinnier clothes. LOL!

The hubby has been very very sick so I was home with him all weekend. :hammer:Sunday the lack of staying busy got to me and I was soooo hungry all day. I ate some stuff I shouldn't have then felt like a major pig because of it. That was all the more reason for me to push myself to get moving on Monday morning. ((I soooo don't do Mondays...or mornings...LOL))

So there ya have it, I'm doing good. I always think to come post on the thread but I think people probably get tired of hearing from me all the time. I get long-winded too. Sorry. :)

sublimesting

I've just been soooo busy aside from working out. Nope, not slacking on my work out regimen. At my weigh-in this past Thursday I was down to 159.9. My goal was 160 so I feel like I've made the big milestone. I don't want to stop. I wonder what I'm capable of just doing the healthier, smaller portion, controlled eating and regular excercise reginmen. It's so fun to wear clothes I never thought I'd be able to or have stuff falling off my hips that I always considered my skinnier clothes. LOL!

The hubby has been very very sick so I was home with him all weekend. :hammer:Sunday the lack of staying busy got to me and I was soooo hungry all day. I ate some stuff I shouldn't have then felt like a major pig because of it. That was all the more reason for me to push myself to get moving on Monday morning. ((I soooo don't do Mondays...or mornings...LOL))

So there ya have it, I'm doing good. I always think to come post on the thread but I think people probably get tired of hearing from me all the time. I get long-winded too. Sorry. :)

Hell, keep going. Why stop at your goal, you've already exceeded it in a relatively short time. Here's another great snack I just found: Walmart has these ice cream sandwiches in a generic blue box that simply say: no sugar added. Each one is 2 points and they are soooo good! They are equivalent to Klondike Slim-A-Bears nutritionally but they are cheaper. Also sugar free freeze pops are a good summer choice!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom