DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

RSoxNo1

Tim, I know you like the dude and all, but that simply isn't the case. Breaking stories that he borrows from other places and being good at self promotion doesn't make him anyone worth listening to.

He has largely been irrelevant in the fan community for over a decade. He had plenty of chances to be a 'really for real' go-to source in the community and he isn't that.
Again, I reiterate what I just posted, he broke the following:
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  • Frozen in Norway
  • C3PO as the pilot in Star Wars
  • Art of Animation
What seems to be lost in all this though is that who breaks a story is becoming increasingly irrelevant at this point. People don't remember these things, and the broad brush is painted on Jim, you, and others that have a history of breaking stories.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah I really need to watch. This all seems too perfect.

Just for kicks here's what DCA did in 5 years.

October 2007 - Announcement of plan

2008 - Toy Story Midway Mania, Mickey Fun Wheel theme replaces Sun Wheel, Blue Sky Cellar replaces Seasons of the Vine Theater

2010 - Buena Vista Street/Cars Land construction begins, new name (drops the "Park" and possessive), World of Color, Maliboomer closes, Silly Symphony Swings replaces Orange Stinger.

2011 - The Little Mermaid Undersea Adventure, Goofy's Sky School replaces Mulholland Madness, demo of monorail golden gate bridge, new entrance gates open (just like DHS), California Zephyr removed.

June 2012 - Carsland and Buena Vista Street open.

$1.1 Billion dollars did all that. When Disney wants to spend, and wants to invest properly, they do a pretty darn good job. It's up to them whether they want to or not. I could see this project (if it's a big budget one) going into 2020, just before the 50th. And that would be my guess for everything: Pixar, Star Wars, and moving of the hat, retheme, etc. But again, nothing has been announced, but gosh I hope something is. If any park needs help, it's DHS.

Someone was talking earlier about Disney looking like at the parks like triage patients...

Well, if we were to rank them, I would say DHS falls under the Level 1 triage category: Resuscitation - see patient immediately.
Agreed. It's definitely needed. That $1.1B in 2007 dollars is equal to about $1.4B in 2014 dollars after inflation. If you read any of @ParentsOf4 posts he has laid out why even that much money isn't on scale with what was invested in the parks in years past. There really is no reason this couldn't have a budget over $1B. I'm not saying it will, but it definitely should:)

ParentsOf4

Agreed. It's definitely needed. That $1.1B in 2007 dollars is equal to about $1.4B in 2014 dollars after inflation. If you read any of @ParentsOf4 posts he has laid out why even that much money isn't on scale with what was invested in the parks in years past. There really is no reason this couldn't have a budget over $1B. I'm not saying it will, but it definitely should:)
Since the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, the only truly bold theme park investment made by Disney was EPCOT Center, which consumed about 2 years worth of Parks & Resorts revenue.

It would be like today's Disney investing $22 billion in a domestic theme park. :jawdrop:

That would be bold!

I happened to be looking at the 1981 annual report earlier today and was impressed by this photo.

Now this is a construction project! :)

Epcot Construction - Copy - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Mike S

Since the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, the only truly bold theme park investment made by Disney was EPCOT Center, which consumed about 2 year's worth of Parks & Resorts revenue.

It would be like today's Disney investing about $22 billion in a domestic theme park. :jawdrop:

That would be bold!

I happened to be looking at the 1981 annual report earlier today and was impressed by this photo.

Now this is a construction project! :)

View attachment 67024
I think I read it was the largest construction project at the time. Truly amazing what they did and strived for. Just makes it all the more sad what they've done to it.

Phil12

I'm in favor of giving credit where credit is due. In today's world of social media that has become increasingly irrelevant (see above).
I agree. However, the problem is that not everyone can be vetted. I prefer to vet my sources and not attribute them to a little bird or some non-corporeal life form. At least with Jim Hill I know where I can find him if his information is or isn't kosher.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

He was also pretty early on xPass, but I believe @lentesta had that info first. He was also the first to mention the third theater in Soarin'. But you're right, the last attraction completed as well as the next re-do aren't big stories.

I respect Len for his work & data analysis, but I still hold how he fired my friend against him.

He's the only one who has crunched all the numbers and really researched the crowd dynamics of WDW and then to try and clash that with how he treated my friend. Hard to reconcile that.

Captain Neo

Since John Lasseter just paid DHS a visit, I'm thinking they are going to be adding a few rides stretching out to Catastrophe Canyon that would bring Pixar Place together on this side of the park:

Monsters Inc

Ratatouille

Cars Land

Yea there is no way MGM is getting any of those rides (much less all of them). At best the studios will get a Star Wars Land, a mini Toy Story land type thing with some flat rides, and switching out the current musicals (Little Mermaid and Beauty) for Rapunzel and Frozen.

MagicHappens1971

i would say that project 1 or 2 would be a major expansion... just has not been revealed yet because the closings of the original structures have not been finalized. (BLT i am looking at you). they also have not taken them to the state for permits/commencement of work
They don't have to go to the state, Disney files and manages all of there own permits, through Reedy Creek.

MagicHappens1971

anyone think or heard of them utilizing the "pirates attraction" that is right next to Toy Story at all for Pixar expansion???
I don't think they would do that, because of the money they spent to build that, and because they would have to move the pixar place sign, and expand in to animation courtyard, and have to deal with the walkways, as well as close those bathrooms that are right there.

MagicHappens1971

Expansion of Pixar Place, Cars...lots of stuff.

My issue with the "third track" idea is that it would not take up all of Stage 1, and would require routing that track way out of the way. Impractical, to say the least...
I completely agree, and if people are right saying that TSMM is a completely different building then the line, then expanded outwards/then inwards seems impractical.

MagicHappens1971

I know it's all speculation, but why are people leaning towards a clone of Monster's from DCA and not the Door Coaster that was long ago planned for this very building? If this was a snap decision that seems to have evaded the radar of most insiders, well laid plans must have existed to be dusted off.

Besides, DCA's version is an overlay on a reasonable budget, it makes very little sense to shoehorn that ride into DHS when something could be custom built from the get go for a similar price tag, and without the Superstar Limo restrictions. Same reason Epcot's version of Frozen will never be replicated, there are no cost savings for any park that doesn't already have the ride system to overlay.

If it has to be built from scratch anyways, why restrict oneself?

A door coaster would be awesome! Been hoping for that since I was really little. Like 8. but still.

MagicHappens1971

Although this is far out, although with the construction of DHS it wouldn't so that crazy for them to expand Pixar Place out to Light's motors Action!, Close Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Studio Catering Co. and the extra space according, as well as the space the backlot tour took up. Which coordinates with Pixar Place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom