DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

Gomer

I disagree with this. Each park needs to be able to appeal to all demographics, the whole family to be a success. And, this line of thinking is not why we are getting Frozen crap in Norway. We are getting frozen crap in Norway because it is the cheapest place to put it. World Showcase does not have to be just for adults and shouldn't be but it does have to represent real locations/countries and stick to its theme of World Showcase and not Fictional Land Showcase.
Disney's problems don't stem from trying to appeal to kids. They come from thinking that they need to talk down to kids to appeal to them.

The parks used to have universal appeal. Epcot for example...Horizons, World of Motion, Living Seas and original Imagination appealed to kids and adults. Now you have new Imagination, and Nemo targeting and talking down to children, while Test Track and Mission: Space only appeal to adults. That creates a mishmash of demographic appeal and an unfocused park.

Disney has a chance to do something with Pixar and Star Wars at DHS that might recapture some of that entire family appeal that they used to cultivate. Somehow I doubt they will though. Probably more of the same. Underestimating the intelligence of their guests and then shooting even below that bar just to be careful not to offend or alienate anyone.

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

Disney is a place for entire families to have fun together. That is its purpose, that is how the parks should be designed.

And families does not just mean thrills for the teens, edu for the adults, and characters for the kids. Great attractions that can fit in all categories is what's needed at some of the parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I meant when both are built, not before WDW got Cars Land. Of course people would go to DL now to see it if they really wanted to. I just feel like DCA deserves to keep its main attraction right now.
As a fan I agree with this sentiment for sure. WDW has EPCOT which is unique to Disney properties (with the exception of Soarin). I've known a few people from S CA who were regulars at DL but were really excited to come to WDW to visit that park (this was quite a few years ago, but it's still pretty unique even if it's in need of some attention). It would be nice to have something else completely unique to visit when I make it out to DLR again.

Looking at the issue from a business standpoint I understand why the company closes rides. It spreads costs and is especially beneficial when a 3rd party takes on some of the costs like in Japan and China. TWDC has more than enough money to be able to afford brand new, original rides at each park, but the practical reality is that they won't always spend that money. I think WDW will get more rides overall if some of them are clones then they would get if everything had to be original.

Goofyernmost

Call me crazy, but I really don't want a Carsland.

We have Test track, such a similar concept.

But mostly because California Adventure, Disney Studios, and Hollywood Studios all need/needed something to make them stand out and boost attendance.

California Adventure got Carsland.
Disney Studios got Ratatouille.
Hollywood Studios deserves something that makes it stand out too. Something unique to HS.
It is similar only in ride vehicles. Saying there shouldn't be one in Florida because the is a "car" ride in Epcot would be the same as saying that all those Omnimovers from the early days shouldn't have existed. I mean, after all, they had similar concepts in many others. What you ride in is of very little consequence, it's what you see while in those ride vehicles that is important and I don't think that any likeness can be found when comparing Test Track to Carsland.

Mike S

As a fan I agree with this sentiment for sure. WDW has EPCOT which is unique to Disney properties (with the exception of Soarin). I've known a few people from S CA who were regulars at DL but were really excited to come to WDW to visit that park (this was quite a few years ago, but it's still pretty unique even if it's in need of some attention). It would be nice to have something else completely unique to visit when I make it out to DLR again.

Looking at the issue from a business standpoint I understand why the company closes rides. It spreads costs and is especially beneficial when a 3rd party takes on some of the costs like in Japan and China. TWDC has more than enough money to be able to afford brand new, original rides at each park, but the practical reality is that they won't always spend that money. I think WDW will get more rides overall if some of them are clones then they would get if everything had to be original.
Clones are definitely not a problem in themselves, not everything can be original. I don't think there would be any problem if Indiana Jones Adventure came to WDW in some form. I really hope someday it will. The only problem with RSR is that it along with Cars Land as a whole was built to bring people to a park that was failing. Kind of defeats the purpose if it was cloned imo. I guess we just have to wait until this redo is announced to see what's coming. I wonder, could the announcement come next year when we're supposed to get Star Wars info?

ryan1

I could go for a cloning of Indiana Jones from DLR, modified of course so as not a direct clone, replacing the Indiana Stunt Show but that would be about it as far as cloning rides from DLR that aren't already at WDW. Maybe an Alice ride like DL but that is a relatively small ride and footprint and could be changed a bit to have its own identity at WDW.

That could maybe be squeezed in next to Little Mermaid show at MGM in place of One Man's Dream area, yes it would be a little out of place and maybe not fit the theme but MGM is so messy right now I don't think it would matter at this point.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Clones are definitely not a problem in themselves, not everything can be original. I don't think there would be any problem if Indiana Jones Adventure came to WDW in some form. I really hope someday it will. The only problem with RSR is that it along with Cars Land as a whole was built to bring people to a park that was failing. Kind of defeats the purpose if it was cloned imo. I guess we just have to wait until this redo is announced to see what's coming. I wonder, could the announcement come next year when we're supposed to get Star Wars info?
That's an interesting question. If this is really the start of a whole park overhaul will they announce it all at once or in phases? WDW1974 started a thread a while back about the park changing its name and focus so it could be a full DHS 2.0 announcement about Pixar expansion, SW Land and whatever else is planned complete with a new name. If that's the case the announcement will probably be soon (in the next 3 to 6 months). The more frustrating way to do it will be to announce things in phases. If that's the case we may hear about Pixar news soon, but have to wait a year or more for anything SW related. I'm hoping for plan A and a full makeover announcement.

Last edited:

Mike S

I could go for a cloning of Indiana Jones from DLR, modified of course so as not a direct clone, replacing the Indiana Stunt Show but that would be about it as far as cloning rides from DLR that aren't already at WDW. Maybe an Alice ride like DL but that is a relatively small ride and footprint and could be changed a bit to have its own identity at WDW.

That could maybe be squeezed in next to Little Mermaid show at MGM in place of One Man's Dream area, yes it would be a little out of place and maybe not fit the theme but MGM is so messy right now I don't think it would matter at this point.
Fully agree about Indiana Jones. Maybe it could have an Egyptian theme to really set itself apart from the Disneyland version. Alice I'm not sure about, especially the placement.
That's an interesting question. If this is really the start of a whole park overhaul will they announce it all at once or in phases? WDW1974 started a thread a while back about the park changing its name and focus so it could be a full DHS 2.0 announcement about Pixar expansion, SW Land and whatever else is planned complete with a new name. If that's the case the announcement will probably be soon (in the next 3 to 6 months). The more frustrating way to do it will be to announce things in phases. If that's the case we may here about Pixar news soon, but have to wait a year or more for anything SW related. I'm hoping for plan A and a full makeover announcement.
It should definitely come all at once but 3 to 6 months seems too soon. I would expect the announcement at D23 to really make an impact there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It should definitely come all at once but 3 to 6 months seems too soon. I would expect the announcement at D23 to really make an impact there.

I'm thinking they make the basic announcement about the overhaul but with very few details. Maybe a poster or website with a marketing slogan and possibly the new name and some symbolic reference to Star Wars and the Pixar films represented. Then we get our first look at some concept art at D23.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm thinking they make the basic announcement about the overhaul but with very few details. Maybe a poster or website with a marketing slogan and possibly the new name and some symbolic reference to Star Wars and the Pixar films represented. Then we get our first look at some concept art at D23.
Well, they do have to visit all the distant lands/worlds to gater facts and information about the indigenous life. :cautious:

ryan1

I think MK is overstuffed at this point compared to the other parks, especially MGM and AK so my placement is solely based on the park that needs it the most. It doesn't fit at all but with that building being part of the Animation Courtyard I could make the connection that it was hand drawn animation and sort of shoehorn it in to fit the theme of that area of MGM.

Alice isn't a great ride or a D or E ticket but its cute and fun and doesn't take up a lot of area. MGM is just a mess overall especially the Animation Courtyard that they have painted themselves in a corner. With the LM ride at MK the Mermaid show isn't needed at MGM anymore.

You could easily remove Captain Jack, One Man's Dream, LM show, and the Animation building and make that whole area something new. Expand Pixar that way and then use the Backlot Tour for something non Pixar.

Redo the entire back portion of the park using the stunt show, Streets of America, and Backlot Tour areas and totally redo the park. MGM has so much wasted potential right now.

Mike S

Oh ok, that would make sense. Disney would just love to tease us with this.

Phil12

Interesting that they can still sell pins with Luxo on them. Unless they technically aren't allowed to but they're doing it anyway.
This is a civil case that never went to trial. Disney attorneys realized they would lose the case if it did go to trial so they settled it. As part of the settlement, Disney required Luxo to stay mum about the terms of the settlement. Therefore we don't know how much money Luxo got from Disney nor any details about what Disney is still allowed to do with the Luxo character.

But, since I don't know the details of the settlement, I can only guess that removal of the Luxo at DHS was part of the settlement. "The lawsuit stems from Luxo's discontent at the soon-to-be-released Luxo Jr. Premium Combo Pack of the Up Blu-ray, which will include a working replica Luxo Jr. lamp and also the giant audio-animatronic Luxo Jr. at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park." http://www.bigscreenanimation.com/2009/09/luxo-sues-pixar-for-trademark.html

Luxo filed the lawsuit in 2006 and the case was settled in November, 2009. In April, 2010 the giant Luxo shows were stopped. It could be a coincidence but I doubt it since the giant Luxo was added to the lawsuit before the settlement.

This behavior is normal for Disney. When they settle a case they demand complete secrecy about the terms and conditions. This goes back to Walt's days at the helm when he had to settle shareholder lawsuits to protect his fortune. Truth is Walt's reputation (and the companies reputation) would have been severely damaged had the skeletons in his closet been released.

Last edited:

Mike S

I think MK is overstuffed at this point compared to the other parks, especially MGM and AK so my placement is solely based on the park that needs it the most. It doesn't fit at all but with that building being part of the Animation Courtyard I could make the connection that it was hand drawn animation and sort of shoehorn it in to fit the theme of that area of MGM.

Alice isn't a great ride or a D or E ticket but its cute and fun and doesn't take up a lot of area. MGM is just a mess overall especially the Animation Courtyard that they have painted themselves in a corner. With the LM ride at MK the Mermaid show isn't needed at MGM anymore.

You could easily remove Captain Jack, One Man's Dream, LM show, and the Animation building and make that whole area something new. Expand Pixar that way and then use the Backlot Tour for something non Pixar.

Redo the entire back portion of the park using the stunt show, Streets of America, and Backlot Tour areas and totally redo the park. MGM has so much wasted potential right now.
Do you mean by people or by attractions? People I understand but attraction wise MK still has plenty of room to expand.

Goofyernmost

I don't see it that way. Carsland in California is an entire continent away. I doubt that a huge number of east coasters traveled to Disneyland just to see Carsland. It was impressive enough to make people already there go to DCA where otherwise they might not have or have locals that previously just went to DL visit there for a change.

If it did help bring the numbers up for Disneyland resort then great, that is exactly what DHS needs. There are already thousands of people at WDW everyday. This would draw some of them into DHS that otherwise might have just skipped it. It might serve to add another day to there planned WDW trip.

ryan1

Do you mean by people or by attractions? People I understand but attraction wise MK still has plenty of room to expand.

I meant attraction wise. I say this not because I think there are too many rides or there isn't the room to add rides, I say it because MK has by FAR the most rides in a park at WDW. The others NEED to play catch up in terms of things to do so adding more rides to MK just doesn't seem right at this time.

Give some love to the other parks before adding more to MK is all I'm saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom