DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

Mike S

I meant attraction wise. I say this not because I think there are too many rides or there isn't the room to add rides, I say it because MK has by FAR the most rides in a park at WDW. The others NEED to play catch up in terms of things to do so adding more rides to MK just doesn't seem right at this time.

Give some love to the other parks before adding more to MK is all I'm saying.
The other parks definitely need the most help now and it seems DHS will be getting a lot of it along with the already announced plans for AK.

PrincessNelly_NJ

It is similar only in ride vehicles. Saying there shouldn't be one in Florida because the is a "car" ride in Epcot would be the same as saying that all those Omnimovers from the early days shouldn't have existed. I mean, after all, they had similar concepts in many others. What you ride in is of very little consequence, it's what you see while in those ride vehicles that is important and I don't think that any likeness can be found when comparing Test Track to Carsland.
I followed that comment with another saying that when I said similar in concept, I was strictly referring to the physical type of ride and how id rather see a brand new ride concept unique to Hollywood Studios & just get my "car fix" from Test Track instead. But that's IMO.

gsujillybean

I seem to remember, though I certainly might be wrong, that the FLE was announced during the Christmas Parade, right? I wonder if the DHS overhaul announcement might be imminent-- it might also explain why we've not heard anything about a 2015 promotion yet.

Goofyernmost

I followed that comment with another saying that when I said similar in concept, I was strictly referring to the physical type of ride and how id rather see a brand new ride concept unique to Hollywood Studios & just get my "car fix" from Test Track instead. But that's IMO.
I understand, however, it's been like pulling nails with one's teeth to get them to do anything much less create something brand new and never seen before. If we wait for that, we will be to old to ride it anyway.:)

Mike S

I agree and compared to the Disneyland version the WDW Magic kingdom is a barren wasteland.
I read a list by someone who counted that Disneyland has 36 rides compared to MK's 27. That's 9 more rides in a smaller park. Guess it helps that Disneyland was the only option for adding new rides in California for quite a while but that's still crazy to think about. MK could possibly have space for a ride count in the 40's or even 50's if they stuffed it like DL.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I read a list by someone who counted that Disneyland has 36 rides compared to MK's 27. That's 9 more rides in a smaller park. Guess it helps that Disneyland was the only option for adding new rides in California for quite a while.
Much smaller park. We actually like DL version better for that reason.....well and the classics that they seem to appreciate.

Captain Chaos

I've said before but if they do a Toy Story Playland type of place, I'd like to see different franchises represented and not just Woody and company. I know that mismashes themes, but I think it would be more interesting.

Also, I'm curious if the long rumored transformation of HISTK to a Bug's life theme will finally happen.
Pixar Playland.... And that would work just fine, along with more substance to the expansion. Truth is, the B/C stuff like Toy Story Playland are sorely needed in that park.

Cesar R M

Not a clone, but with discussion of Carland possibly coming to the studios and the issue with rain in FL - what are the possibilities of SS1 being used to house an indoor dark-ride style version of the ride?

If the expansion of Pixar goes back towards former BLT that location may work.
I wonder.. if they copy the exact cars ride design, except the open area is actually based on the second movie and not the first. Indoor "run" part being the Cars 2 japan building.

spacemt354

Chili's
Remember how much they dragged out FLE? The flying dragon thing? The websites with hints and suggestions? Slowly releasing concept art? They love teasing us. If they spend this kind of money they want the most press for it possible.

For what it's worth...if (and big if) this project is going to be similar to DCA 2.0, Disney officially announced the $1.1 billion DCA revamp plan on October 17, 2007. It was complete on June 15, 2012.

Not saying they are going to announce anything DHS related on or around the same time of the year as they did before, but with all of the closures, execs with plans walking in the park, and much appreciated insider info, it certainly feels like whenever it's announced, it'll be relatively big. Here's to hoping we get something great.

Mike S

For what it's worth...if (and big if) this project is going to be similar to DCA 2.0, Disney officially announced the $1.1 billion DCA revamp plan on October 17, 2007. It was complete on June 15, 2012.

Not saying they are going to announce anything DHS related on or around the same time of the year as they did before, but with all of the closures, execs with plans walking in the park, and much appreciated insider info, it certainly feels like whenever it's announced, it'll be relatively big. Here's to hoping we get something great.
So if the same thing was applied to DHS and it was announced now it could open by 2019........ Is it just me or is that what people have been saying as the time Star Wars could possibly open? It seems to all fall into place perfectly. Now I just need to lower my excitement to avoid disappointment if this doesn't happen.

misterID

It is similar only in ride vehicles. Saying there shouldn't be one in Florida because the is a "car" ride in Epcot would be the same as saying that all those Omnimovers from the early days shouldn't have existed. I mean, after all, they had similar concepts in many others. What you ride in is of very little consequence, it's what you see while in those ride vehicles that is important and I don't think that any likeness can be found when comparing Test Track to Carsland.
I never understood that argument either, it always felt really picky. I'm still hoping for Journey To The Center Of The Earth in some form, too. That would make three!

I don't see it that way. Carsland in California is an entire continent away. I doubt that a huge number of east coasters traveled to Disneyland just to see Carsland. It was impressive enough to make people already there go to DCA where otherwise they might not have or have locals that previously just went to DL visit there for a change.

If it did help bring the numbers up for Disneyland resort then great, that is exactly what DHS needs. There are already thousands of people at WDW everyday. This would draw some of them into DHS that otherwise might have just skipped it. It might serve to add another day to there planned WDW trip.
And yes again, Carsland already served its purpose for DCA. And DLR is already planning more attractions we'll never get. DHS needs a lot of help now. It needs attractions. And attractions for families. If it happens it won't have the scope nor the marketing that DCA got with it, but that's not the point, it's perfect in the form of crowd control once whatever Star Wars land ends up being.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

5 years and $1.1B sounds about right if it's as big as we are hoping ad includes both StarWars and Pixar expansions.

I do wonder if they announce something before the year end earnings call in early November. They are going to be looking to deflect attention away from questions on MM+. It could be one way to do it.

spacemt354

Chili's
So if the same thing was applied to DHS and it was announced now it could open by 2019........ Is it just me or is that what people have been saying as the time Star Wars could possibly open? It seems to all fall into place perfectly. Now I just need to lower my excitement to avoid disappointment if this doesn't happen.

Yeah I really need to watch. This all seems too perfect.

Just for kicks here's what DCA did in 5 years.

October 2007 - Announcement of plan

2008 - Toy Story Midway Mania, Mickey Fun Wheel theme replaces Sun Wheel, Blue Sky Cellar replaces Seasons of the Vine Theater

2010 - Buena Vista Street/Cars Land construction begins, new name (drops the "Park" and possessive), World of Color, Maliboomer closes, Silly Symphony Swings replaces Orange Stinger.

2011 - The Little Mermaid Undersea Adventure, Goofy's Sky School replaces Mulholland Madness, demo of monorail golden gate bridge, new entrance gates open (just like DHS), California Zephyr removed.

June 2012 - Carsland and Buena Vista Street open.

$1.1 Billion dollars did all that. When Disney wants to spend, and wants to invest properly, they do a pretty darn good job. It's up to them whether they want to or not. I could see this project (if it's a big budget one) going into 2020, just before the 50th. And that would be my guess for everything: Pixar, Star Wars, and moving of the hat, retheme, etc. But again, nothing has been announced, but gosh I hope something is. If any park needs help, it's DHS.

Someone was talking earlier about Disney looking like at the parks like triage patients...

Well, if we were to rank them, I would say DHS falls under the Level 1 triage category: Resuscitation - see patient immediately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom