DHS Permits

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was a permit filed today for mechanical work with the work area being the SOM façade along one side of the Muppet building. Mechanical normally refers to HVAC work, so I am not sure what this is.

upload_2016-7-22_12-41-30.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think they have started with the lay down yard:View attachment 154986

There was a pretty good sized area that had been cleared of trees forcibly. A lot of the stumps looked like they had been chewed on verses cut so they are probably just using an excavator to clear the area.

Thanks for the report, I wondered when they were going to start on this.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was a permit filed today for Project D -Site work and Site Utilities Installation with an address of 375 Cypress Lane. The general contractor is Whiting-Turner but the permit also lists a bunch of other contractors covering all the major construction trades. 375 is an address used for the Hyperion Theater (formally American Idol), but it could just be something in that area. I have heard the code name Delos used in connection with Star Wars Land so this might be the first actual construction permit for the land.

Expiration Date: 9/26/2019.

roj2323

There was a permit filed today for Project D -Site work and Site Utilities Installation with an address of 375 Cypress Lane. The general contractor is Whiting-Turner but the permit also lists a bunch of other contractors covering all the major construction trades. 375 is an address used for the Hyperion Theater (formally American Idol), but it could just be something in that area. I have heard the code name Delos used in connection with Star Wars Land so this might be the first actual construction permit for the land.

There's a rumor that they are about to start a bunch of concrete replacement in the "hub" area so perhaps that is part of this project.

HauntedMansionFLA

Thanks for the permit update. Let the rumors start up that SWL will be opening 9/26/2019!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There's a rumor that they are about to start a bunch of concrete replacement in the "hub" area so perhaps that is part of this project.

I just went back and took a closer look at the permit, this is definitely Star Wars land because I just noticed it lists contractors for both DHS, and Disneyland. All of the design contractors are the same between the two resorts, as is the structure steel contractor. All the other construction contractors are local.

cjkeating

Interesting expiration date...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I imagine that's not by when they expect it to finish the land, just this part of the project. I may be wrong but I think @danlb_2000 has said before that permits usually leave a lot of buffer time in the end, so there's no way they would finish it in this time.

Permit expirations are a little tricky on these larger projects. Avatar's early permits had an expiration of October 2016, although I don't know if that was the original target and they went over, or if that was just the date when that contractors part would be done. The Frozen ride as another example had an expiration for the main contractor that was definitely earlier then the planned opening. On the other side of the coin are the Disney Springs permits which expire in December of 2017.

roj2323

I just went back and took a closer look at the permit, this is definitely Star Wars land because I just noticed it lists contractors for both DHS, and Disneyland. All of the design contractors are the same between the two resorts, as is the structure steel contractor. All the other construction contractors are local.
I'd welcome some steel work around the Hyperion Theater. Steel means something of substance and not minor work.

djkidkaz

I would imagine there is probably still a ton of ground prep work and cleanup before we would see any sort of vertical construction for SWL or TSL?

The expiration of the permit is 3 years from now which is in line with how long all of their projects take. It was also stated they wanted SWL open by holiday 2019 which would coincide with the release of the third and final film of the new trilogy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I would imagine there is probably still a ton of ground prep work and cleanup before we would see any sort of vertical construction for SWL or TSL?

The expiration of the permit is 3 years from now which is in line with how long all of their projects take. It was also stated they wanted SWL open by holiday 2019 which would coincide with the release of the third and final film of the new trilogy.

TSL should be pretty close to vertical construction, but SWL still have more demo and prep to be done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom