DHS = Florida's DCA?

sponono88

Perfect? I wouldn't go that far.. I think DHS was flawed from the beginning as well. Wasn't it rumored that it was built to go against Universal's new park? The theme itself is very limited.. at DCA it works because it is kept to one land (Hollywood Backlot) and not an entire park.

It will be difficult to compare DCA to DHS once 2012 rolls around. With a new nighttime show, two e-ticket rides (no clones!), a brand new land, plus a lot more. As for DHS.. why don't we start by getting rid of that hat :lookaroun

heliumalias

My personal feeling is that if management is trying to change the park to get rid of all traces of what use to be MGM, then this ride needs to close for some serious downtime.

MGM's name should never really have been attached to the park in the first place. A lone executive signed off on it without the owner knowing - needless to say he was very angry because MGM's value is in its name and logo. That's why it didn't surprise me that it eventually went but i suspect that it has more to do with MGM than Disney management.

MGM doesn't actually own the rights to the majority of the films in TGMR even if they were made by them in the first place so there's really no sense in removing them.

Personally, I'd like to see some more recent movies thrown in the mix but given the lack of space I don't think it's gonna happen (except in the end reel).

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
MGM's name should never really have been attached to the park in the first place. A lone executive signed off on it without the owner knowing - needless to say he was very angry because MGM's value is in its name and logo. That's why it didn't surprise me that it eventually went but i suspect that it has more to do with MGM than Disney management.

MGM doesn't actually own the rights to the majority of the films in TGMR even if they were made by them in the first place so there's really no sense in removing them.

Personally, I'd like to see some more recent movies thrown in the mix but given the lack of space I don't think it's gonna happen (except in the end reel).

Which is exactly why the ride feels really dated and either needs a massive makeover or needs to go.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
DCA was flawed from conception; D-MGM was a perfect one day park in the mid 90`s.

I've been to MGM/DHS numerous times since I'm from Orlando. The vast majority of the time it was a half day park at best. With the new additions made it's closer to being a full day affair, but still needs a lot of improvements. It was by far the weakest of the parks until AK was built. Even now, I'd still call it the weakest of the four parks.

SirGoofy

Which is exactly why the ride feels really dated and either needs a massive makeover or needs to go.

I don't agree at all. What modern movies can be considered to be "Great" compared to the ones already in there? Some of the scenes can be changed (Alien and Tarzan are the only two I wouldn't mind parting with), but overall the ride is a testament to the golden age of Hollywood.

Animaniac93-98

- Get rid of Hat
- Put Earful Tower near front of park
- Replace Beauty and the Beast with D*ck Tracy's Crimestoppers
- Build Monsters Inc coaster
- Have Enchanted show at the backlot theater
- Replace tram tour with Radiator Springs Racers (but keep Catastrophe Canyon)
- Update Star Tours
- Replace Indy Stunt show with a combo of Indiana Jones Adventure and Temple of Peril (or just build a coaster themed to Temple of Doom).
- New film loop for Sci-Fi Dine In Theater
- Update technology in GMR but only change film selection by adding Gone With the Wind (and redo Fantasia and Footlight Parade altogether)
- Build a Nightmare Before Christmas ride where Big Al's/Pizza Planet is now (move those to PP)
- Upgrade/fix Fantasmic!

Animaniac93-98

I don't agree at all. What modern movies can be considered to be "Great" compared to the ones already in there? Some of the scenes can be changed (Alien and Tarzan are the only two I wouldn't mind parting with), but overall the ride is a testament to the golden age of Hollywood.

As it should be. Any replacements just to have current popular movies will seem like a cheap sell out.

~Pirates, 300 and Transformers in the same ride as Casablanca? You've got to be kidding me~

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
It's all a problem with the audience's expectation. As a film student and hardcore movie buff, I really like the references to the old classics, but the problem is that the majority of the younger guests who go to the parks won't have a clue what most of those movies are. Most with a couple exceptions would be considered really old and most modern moviegoers don't want to see them because they are old.

Not only that but if they are going to keep the focus on the golden age of Hollywood, they are missing quite a few classic films. Gone With The Wind, 12 Angry Men, The Godfather and Citizen Kane come to mind right off the bat.

So, with that in mind, the ride is still outdated in terms of films used as well as technology. I'm not saying it's a bad ride by any means. I love the thing and always have to go on it whenever I am at DHS, but in terms of modern audiences, they need to at least add in some more recent films that kids will remember.

Wilt Dasney

I agree. Ziegfeld Follies and the Wizard of Oz are perfect examples of classic Hollywood, regardless of who made them. Other than Steamboat Willie and Snow White, what was Disney really bringing to the table that was as comparably important to the film industry in those days?

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
I agree. Ziegfeld Follies and the Wizard of Oz are perfect examples of classic Hollywood, regardless of who made them. Other than Steamboat Willie and Snow White, what was Disney really bringing to the table that was as comparably important to the film industry in those days?

Disney actually brought to the table lots of state of the art films over the years. The three that come to mind right away besides those two are Tron, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Toy Story. All three of those films helped create our modern industry's technology in some way shape or form and probably should be included if the ride is to take on a more Disney centric twist.

Animaniac93-98

It's all a problem with the audience's expectation. As a film student and hardcore movie buff, I really like the references to the old classics, but the problem is that the majority of the younger guests who go to the parks won't have a clue what most of those movies are. Most with a couple exceptions would be considered really old and most modern moviegoers don't want to see them because they are old.

Not only that but if they are going to keep the focus on the golden age of Hollywood, they are missing quite a few classic films. Gone With The Wind, 12 Angry Men, The Godfather and Citizen Kane come to mind right off the bat.

So, with that in mind, the ride is still outdated in terms of films used as well as technology. I'm not saying it's a bad ride by any means. I love the thing and always have to go on it whenever I am at DHS, but in terms of modern audiences, they need to at least add in some more recent films that kids will remember.

Point one, people have the capacity to learn. A good ride will make people want to watch these films. That argument has been used before and will never work for me. It's as bad as saying we don't need a trolley in Toontown because it's not "relevant" for kids today. Dumbing down attractions is not what Disney should be about (as much as they try to). Educating and entertaining should be the focus and the GMR has plenty of potential to do that with it's current selection.

Point 2, Gone With the Wind was intended but it would have cost extra like Oz. I fully agree it should be added as they easily have the funds now to do it. Godfather is not appropriate for a Disney park and the Cagney era gangster films relate more to the "Golden Hollywood image". Citizen Kane and 12 Angry Men especially would not translate well to ride scenes. A small courtroom on a huge sound stage would ruin any of the great claustophobic cinematography the movie had and thier isn't time for lengthly speaches to be given to the guests passing by.

I'm sure the Imagineers took many films into consideration for this ride and the selection they came up with is very good for what the ride is meant to represent and where it is.

"Outdated in terms of films used?", because they're old? Because you or some brat from North Carolina don't watch them? See point 1.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Perfect? I wouldn't go that far..
I would. It`s morphed into a mess, but back in the summer of 1990 I spent one full day there, everything was brand new and the decor/theme was perfect. We didn`t manage to do everything, by time Sorcery in the Sky was finished at 1115pm we had missed Superstar TV and Monster Sound Show.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
"Outdated in terms of films used?", because they're old? Because you or some brat from North Carolina don't watch them?

I'm a film student. I watch older films all the time in classes as well as for fun. I'm not saying they are outdated because they are old. I'm saying they are outdated because many of them most modern audiences have never seen, because they are old. What's the good of talking about a film that nobody has seen? Sure, it's good to get the word out about a classic, but let's be honest, have you actually seen a movie just because it was in GMR?

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
I would. It`s morphed into a mess, but back in the summer of 1990 I spent one full day there, everything was brand new and the decor/theme was perfect. We didn`t manage to do everything, by time Sorcery in the Sky was finished at 1115pm we had missed Superstar TV and Monster Sound Show.

Those two shows were amazing back in the day. I never got to be on Superstar Television and I wanted to so badly. I was on Monster Sound Show a couple times though...

Animaniac93-98

I'm a film student. I watch older films all the time in classes as well as for fun. I'm not saying they are outdated because they are old. I'm saying they are outdated because many of them most modern audiences have never seen, because they are old. What's the good of talking about a film that nobody has seen? Sure, it's good to get the word out about a classic, but let's be honest, have you actually seen a movie just because it was in GMR?

What's old is new to those who have not seen them, and who's to say adding current hits won't hurt the attraction in the long run. Will Pirates be liked as much 20 years from now as it is today? Oz and Casablanca are still loved as are Raiders, Alien, Mary Poppins, Fantasia, Singin' in the Rain etc. Tarzan needs no explanation and the Western and Gangster sets don't require a degree in film studies to get. The films and genres chosen are ones that are instantly recognizable and have stood the test of time and relate to the theme of the ride. Any "new" film will stand out badly and possibly date the ride more than any of the current films.

"Most modern audiences have never seen"? Can you prove that? Most of the films in the ride are so famous they've probably heard of them before. How many people are exposed to clips from Casablanca on TV or know famous lines like "here's looking at you kid". The guide names the movies as you go through and there are even posters in the gangster scene to tell you which movies are represented.

I'm sure the Imagineers thought through the selection and presentation thourghly (and this was the park's flagship attarction at opening) and it shows.

krankenstein

What's old is new to those who have not seen them, and who's to say adding current hits won't hurt the attraction in the long run. Will Pirates be liked as much 20 years from now as it is today? Oz and Casablanca are still loved as are Raiders, Alien, Mary Poppins, Fantasia, Singin' in the Rain etc. Tarzan needs no explanation and the Western and Gangster sets don't require a degree in film studies to get. The films and genres chosen are ones that are instantly recognizable and have stood the test of time and relate to the theme of the ride. Any "new" film will stand out badly and possibly date the ride more than any of the current films.

I've never seen Alien listed on any most popular or best film lists. Now, Star Wars.... :lookaroun

I think they should find a way to add new movies to the GMR. There are a couple of parts in that ride that get on my nerves. I would like to see movies like The Lord of the Rings and Titanic. Movies like that. I would list Harry Potter here but somebody beat Disney to it. GMR is really one of my fav rides. It is amazing!

BTW, I bet Disney is ed that nobody snached up ANY of the Harry Potter rigths. NONE. No movies, products or theme parks. If Walt were alive that would be one thing he would have jumped on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom