DHS CARS LAND

Longhairbear

You mean like the Submarine voyage? A money pit of an attraction so 'loved'...when it was rumored it could be on the chopping block only after 5 years of operator many fans said 'good riddance'???
You mean like Toy Story Playland.. a concept so widely pandered people openly mock the concept and despise any chance of it coming to a park?
You mean like The Little Mermaid.. the largest darkride Disney has done in decades yet fails to find a loyal following in the genre Disney is thought of as perfecting?
You mean like Toy Story Mania.. an attraction the hardcore fans write off as a video game they can play at home?

Before Carsland.. his record was actually pretty damn weak. He's a great creative guy and producer for films.. but it really hasn't transitioned over to his work in theme parks.

The guy is passionate.. he is a great advocate.. but he hasn't shown that nack for knowing what makes an attraction great or not and being able to ensure that core essence is attractions he has helped supervise. He seems to be better at ensuring his character properties are represented as he wants them.. than he is at building the next great attraction concept.
I'm gonna call you on that Submarine comment. Lassiter was no where's near Disney when that attraction was being re imagined. I personally was with a group of friends, owners of another website, and one imagineer who explained the trials done on the attraction. He explained the trial runs they did before coming up with the underwater projection boxes. I might add, this was long before Al Lutz, or Marcie on MouseInfo had spoke of anything concerning the reboot of the sub lagoon. Lassiter was not a part of that. We were literally standing next to the sub lagoon when the imagineer told us what was being tested. This was way before the tech now used on that attraction, and then cloned at EPCOT. Afterward we had dinner at DTD in a Mexican eatery, and talked about our Imagineer's transfer to another Disney land outside of the country. For a time frame, this was around the time the Autopia at DL was re imagined, and the elements of the queue line were mentioned as part of the new tech being tested at the lagoon.
As such, you need to re imagine Lassiter's track record.

MerlinTheGoat

Monsters Coaster would use Stage one as the queue and load/unload. The gravity building would go behind.

And yes, it came so close to a green several times.
While I'm interested in a Monsters coaster, I'm wondering about how well it will translate the scene to a ride in terms of elaborate show scenes. I've watched the movie many times, always said i'd be surprised if they didn't build a coaster based on that one scene with the doors (and i'm very surprised they haven't already). I'm just not sure how well themed it would be as an actual attraction though. The door scene in the movie takes place in rather basic looking warehouse. There's really not much in terms of scenery, just a very industrial looking area full of metal railings and racks. It's a fun and action packed sequence to watch but I wouldn't say it's the best in terms of scenery. I could think of other movies i'd rather be immersed in with their elaborate locations, such as the Incredibles and its cool jungle island with the volcanic high tech base. And Radiator Springs Racers did an excellent job on the scenery and characters in recreating the elaborate town and canyons.

What sort of themeing are we talking about for the actual ride? Would we get any sort of impressive show scenes or animatronics, or would it just be a basic looking coaster track in a warehouse? It would be interesting if there were some scenes where you zip in and out of various door portals and got to see the insides of the rooms (maybe with some monsters and kids inside doing various silly things). The doors all lead to different parts of the world so there would be a lot of variety in show scenes if different rooms were used. Hoping to see some animatronics too of the various monsters, plenty of creative designs to use there.

Also another question if you know anything about it- what level of thrill would the Monsters coaster be? 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, or something even more intense than that (like R&RC)?

Mike730

Monsters Coaster would use Stage one as the queue and load/unload. The gravity building would go behind.

And yes, it came so close to a green several times.

Thanks. This has a way of sounding promising yet depressing at the same time.

Also, wouldn't this surely mean the demise of the Backlot Tour? The Costume/Art building would get in the way, no?

IWant2GoNow

While I'm interested in a Monsters coaster, I'm wondering about how well it will translate the scene to a ride in terms of elaborate show scenes. I've watched the movie many times, always said i'd be surprised if they didn't build a coaster based on that one scene with the doors (and i'm very surprised they haven't already). I'm just not sure how well themed it would be as an actual attraction though. The door scene in the movie takes place in rather basic looking warehouse. There's really not much in terms of scenery, just a very industrial looking area full of metal railings and racks. It's a fun and action packed sequence to watch but I wouldn't say it's the best in terms of scenery. I could think of other movies i'd rather be immersed in with their elaborate locations, such as the Incredibles and its cool jungle island with the volcanic high tech base. And Radiator Springs Racers did an excellent job on the scenery and characters in recreating the elaborate town and canyons.

What sort of themeing are we talking about for the actual ride? Would we get any sort of impressive show scenes or animatronics, or would it just be a basic looking coaster track in a warehouse? It would be interesting if there were some scenes where you zip in and out of various door portals and got to see the insides of the rooms (maybe with some monsters and kids inside doing various silly things). The doors all lead to different parts of the world so there would be a lot of variety in show scenes if different rooms were used. Hoping to see some animatronics too of the various monsters, plenty of creative designs to use there.

Also another question if you know anything about it- what level of thrill would the Monsters coaster be? 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, or something even more intense than that (like R&RC)?

I had this thought a LONG time ago. Took me a while to find but our ideas are similar. My old idea though had you on a door & going through doors which obviously would not work so well. So maybe they have altered the door track to allow guests to travel along it as well? I dunno but here was my idea. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/posts/3627373/

Fox&Hound

I completely agree with "Merlin". The warehouse idea would seem a little lackluster but to go through the doors in some race against time would be awesome! The ride itself is a track that leads you up to various doors and as you enter each door the scene totally changes like in the movie. Each section of the ride would be in a separate room- the bayou where Randall ends up in the end of Monsters Inc, Boo's bedroom, random kids rooms, Disney Land,the Himalayas, various countries of the world. You could have effects like heat and snow in some of the rooms. And then you change one of the rooms after a few months and you have a ride people want to ride and reride all the time because it has the ability to constantly change.
As far as Carsland, my wife and I got to check it out in CA and it is amazing! I'm not a huge fan of the movie, and the fact that I loved it so much, is a testament to just how great it is. RSR is a fantastic ride and I'm not sure how I feel about it coming to Hollywood Studios. HS definitely needs some major help (for sure) and the backlot tour has needed to go for a long time, but it's nice that CA has this unique land. If anything, I'd be up for RSR's coming to WDW to the Studios but maybe add the door coaster, an incredibles ride, and maybe something from Up. And of course the Tangled Show! Just so that WDW and DL can continue keep their identities. They are diferent parks and deserve to grow in different ways. If WDW continues t duplicate DL, why should guests ever go there. And part of me just doesn't find it fair.

docandsix

Why the hate for the submarine ride? I LOVE it!! I was so upset WDW didn't refurb it either.

Yes. Maybe I am actually one of those people I've always worried about (You know, the ones whose favorite attraction at Epcot used to be El Rìo del Tiempo?), but personally, I really do enjoy the Submarine Voyage. It has a boring queue and it loads slowly, yes, but the ride itself is fairly long, relaxing, and endearing. Compare it to the universally loved Indiana Jones attraction, which is almost all queue leading up to an actual ride that is so frenetic and short that if you blink twice while you're riding you might miss the point altogether. I certainly don't understand why so many people wax nostalgic over 20,000 Leagues but then turn around and pan Nemo.

I've been to Disneyland several times in the past year, and the only reason I ever skip the subs is that the lines for this supposedly painfully dull and unpopular attraction are often too long for me!

Rasvar

Listen to the difference of his excitement when he's talking about WDW and then when he's talking about DL

When speaking about the new fantasyland all he says is "Um.. good.. place.." and then when he talks about Disneyland his vocabulary magically grows.. -.- am i the only one who thinks this?

You have to remember the emotional attachment. Born and raised in California and worked at Disneyland. This was back in the 1970's. I don't know what cast members thought at Disneyland was of WDW at the time but I can imagine a rivalry. WDW is part of the company but Disneyland is where his heart is.

Rasvar

I'd love it of someone could answer our question:)
Anyone been on both Blasters and can tell us which one is harder to max out on?
I feel that Astro Blasters is a bit harder since it is not locked down. To me, it is easier to keep the aim stable on Space Ranger.

Turtle

Lasseter may not have the track record in theme park attractions to justify his Golden Boy status, but in movies he sure does. And make no mistake, the movies make billions for the company, in contrast with the puny millions thrown off by the parks.
he has one bad movie, Cars 2.

Turtle

i'd imagine it'd be big thunder-mountain level and it will have parts that go thru the warehouse, thru the scare floor, and thru different portals

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So if Skipper John is dead set against RSR or Carsland going anywhere but DCA, I wonder what his opinion of Pixar Place at DHS is. Surely he's been to the park and found it lacking. I guess my question would be, if not RSR, what? Something has to be done (if the insiders are right which I completely believe they are) at all 4 parks but DHS is probably the most desperate.
Keep in mind the idea that he is against moving Cars to DHS is not a proven fact, just speculation and rumors. He never publicly commented either way about it. There is definitely a perception that he does not care as much about WdW.

I still think money talks and they are starting to feel an economic impact from Potter. The attendance boost and merchandising opportunities are too large for corporate Disney to pass up. They could build something new and original which could be even better than Carsland, but it would cost more and you run the risk that it would not be as successful. If you take the sentiment and emotion from the equation it makes perfect business sense. Because of all this, building RSR is a no brainer for DHS in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom