DHS CARS LAND

Rasvar

You missed my point. You tried to make it sound impressive that the sequel made more money, but I'm saying it's not really when you factor in two types of inflation (general ticket price and 3D), and one market brought in less.

I also read on BOM (I believe) that Cars 2 had the lowest attendence of any Pixar movie. The only reason the numbers are higher than others is, again, ticket price inflation.

Edit, quote from another site:

"Depending on which inflation-adjusted list you look at and the parameters you consider, Cars 2 ranks anywhere from 7th place to dead last compared to the box office earnings of the other eleven Pixar films"

http://www.pixarportal.com/blog.php?id=2011-movie-theater-turnout-lowest-in-16-years

Plus this chart:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=pixar.htm
At the same time I can also make the argument that what was in the movie was not important. If you make a good attraction it will still work no matter how popular the movie was. How many people under 40 have actually seen "Song of the South" who have gone on Splash Mountain? Using the movie just gives some built in base. There is no reason to clone a movie either. I was simply using Cars 2 as an alternative to a straight RSR clone. It is just one possible story. Cost would be a reason to keep it the same. I'm sure someone like Larry the Cable Guy is a decent size check to lay down some tracks. Not show stopping but it is just cheaper to get the rights for existing. I just hope they will do something that can compliment RSR instead of copying.

NoChesterHester

IMO, Disney shouldn't be Pixar-centric. It's not Pixarland or Pixar World, it's Disneyland and Disney World. Disney does have plans for something, but, when it comes to Carsland, we have no external resources, except for what people has said at the beginning and major hype, and that's all.

I could care less if it is based on Pixar, Marvel, or Dreamworks. As a fan I want quality.

I want a mind blowing immersive environments to which I can escape this reality for a believable and compelling fantasy. I want rides so amazing that I succumb to the excitement of the moment and drop $100 in a gift shop on t-shirts for the family.

Inspire me. Blow me away. Make my kids little heads spin. I'll reward you Disney.

I'm waiting...

El Grupo

I could care less if it is based on Pixar, Marvel, or Dreamworks. As a fan I want quality.

I want a mind blowing immersive environments to which I can escape this reality for a believable and compelling fantasy. I want rides so amazing that I succumb to the excitement of the moment and drop $100 in a gift shop on t-shirts for the family.

Inspire me. Blow me away. Make my kids little heads spin. I'll reward you Disney.

I'm waiting...

Outside of a Star Wars land, I would really like to visit an immersive area with a couple of attractions based on the Incredibles. I could see the Streets of America being easily incorporated.

However, like NoChesterHester, I primarily want to be amazed by Disney's creative effort and enveloped in an astounding environment no matter what theme is utilized.

doctornick

Outside of a Star Wars land, I would really like to visit an immersive area with a couple of attractions based on the Incredibles. I could see the Streets of America being easily incorporated.

But a "land" based on the Incredibles would seemingly be pretty unimpressive. What would the details be? A modern city with normal buildings no different than anywhere in this country. Don't get me wrong, I think that there is some potential for fantastic attractions based on the Incredibles, but I can't imagine much that would be there for theming an immersive land.

I think the idea of Monstropolis makes a lot of sense because there would be monsters and odd sized/shaped doors and buildings and strange cars and and signs with monster puns (like "gross-ery" for food). Even if there is nothing particularly iconic about Monstropolis visually, a distinct well themed area could work and be interesting. I don't see the same thing with The Incredibles. In fact, I'm not sure what other Pixar movie would work -- maybe a junk filled Wall-E world? Maybe Ratatouille?

Carsland works so well because there's a pretty well defined place with specific buildings that you can recreate. Even ignoring the merchandising aspect, that's probably a big reason that movie was chosen for an immersive land.

WDW1974

Technically, you started this about a month ago in your DL vs WDW thread. That was the first I heard of RSR coming to FL anyway. Maybe I'm just reading into this too much, but are you hearing that this might not happen now?
It was never a done deal. It's very possible but nothing is signed, as it were.

What he said, which is what I've been saying.

It's a possibility that many in TDO want to see very badly. It is not a done deal. Major work coming to the Studios IS a done deal. Just like the new E-Ticket for DL ...

Now, the last time I was here a few days ago we were at 54 pages and now we're at 61 ... should I really wade through seven pages of the same old? I got a trip to get ready for ... actually multiple trips now!:D

WDW1974

Plus it doesn't take any inside info to realize this is the only thing that can counter Potter.

If this is truly the only thing that can counter Potter, then Disney and WDI, in particular, ought to just shut down.

Seriously. Because there is no imagination left at that point.

There are literally dozens of things that Disney could do in any of its four parks that would be a good counter to Potter (although nothing will stop people from going ... that train has left the station for Hogwarts ... quality will out ... even old man Disney knew that ... but you can do plenty that will make it very tough for Disney fans to leave or leave for long, so far they have practically invited all their guests to go check out Potter by putting out a subpar stale product for years at ever increasing price points).

Denscott

Not going to read through 60 pages of posts but I think an area, if not a "land", devoted to The Grid from TRON would be fantastic. Don't tell me about box office too, TRON was a cult classic and Legacy was a visual splendour.

With last year's ElecTRONica and the new DisneyXD TRON series out now, it proves that it has legs if not muscle. Make a dedicated land though with the use of neon and tech and have a RSR-style ride but based on a light cycle battle and you have a keeper. You can even have a Jedi Academy type attraction for kids (and adults) where you are suited up and have to battle one of CLU's bad guys. Toss in an inside roller coaster based on the sky battle and a TRON dance party at night like the End of Line club for the teens and cool parents...I'm there! :)

Problem is though, it would almost have to be an inside land though...can't do The Grid justice in daylight. That or you could have the outside facades like like Flynn's Arcade and the ENCOM HQ...and at night it transforms into The Grid with lights in the pavement and on the building exteriors.

TRON, like it or not, was an ORIGINAL Disney movie...and almost 30 years after it came out it spawned a sequel and a TV series...not bad. And there is so, so much more you could do with it since Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleiner, and even Jeff Bridges (maybe) all seem to be cool in reprising their parts in future movies or the series and games. And it will never go out of style, in my opinion.

WDW1974

Why would Lasseter be so petty as to threaten to resign over a theme park attraction?

Just a clarification since some are attributing this to me (incorrectly), but I just put it out as an IF/THEN hypothetical.

In no way did I say John has said 'if you build RSRs elsewhere then I am done here.'' ... Just that if he did, Disney would (rightfully) cave in.

WDW1974

I think he loves and cares MORE about Disneyland but he does care about the other Disney resorts too, I think.

THIS!!!

The man grew up with/at DL. He worked there. One of his boys works there now. He gets down there almost weekly because of its locale.

Yes, if there were two fires and DL was in one house and the MK was in another, then the MK would be dead. I can not believe I had to just use THAT analogy.

It's perfectly fine to like one park/resort better. Doesn't mean you don't care about them all.

You can have seven kitties and love them all, but it doesn't mean Mr. Pickles isn't your favorite. Get it?

WDW1974

I personally find that really upsetting.... He should be equally enthusiastic about EVERY park... To be biased to DL is a really ty thing for WDW

OK, just asking if any ty word is now acceptable here or if the mods are taking the weekend off (which is fine since it is Labor Day weekend!)?

But, seriously, bad words should disappear faster than the names of Disney consultants (again, just IMHO!) who advertise their work.

And new posters who want to be respected shouldn't come on and immediately use ty language when poohy language would work fine.

Californian Elitist

THIS!!!

The man grew up with/at DL. He worked there. One of his boys works there now. He gets down there almost weekly because of its locale.

Yes, if there were two fires and DL was in one house and the MK was in another, then the MK would be dead. I can not believe I had to just use THAT analogy.

It's perfectly fine to like one park/resort better. Doesn't mean you don't care about them all.

You can have seven kitties and love them all, but it doesn't mean Mr. Pickles isn't your favorite. Get it?

That DL/MK scenario is really sad but you were trying to make a point. I had said earlier if any one of the people here were in charge of making decisions for the US parks, they'd be biased towards WDW, and it's the truth. I dare anyone to say they wouldn't be.

The cat example is really funny!

WDW1974

Lasseter has a figure head roll at Imagineering, but he does care about the product. He has stated, "quality is a hell of a business plan," and his track record is very strong. He could be the most valuable asset the company has right now.

He is much more than a figure head in Glendale. MUCH, MUCH more. Ask anyone who has been in a meeting with him there. I know a few.

And he (and the entire Pixar braintrust) is the most valuable asset the company has beyond ESPN.

Rasvar

THIS!!!

I think some people expect corporate executives to be machines and logical without bias. That kind of person is never going to move beyond middle management. Emotions drive a lot of people in high positions. Now, the ones who can funnel those emotions in a way that works are always better off. I'm not even going to get into ego. But, yes, there is always the favorite pet or even the favorite child. It's not like they hate the other pets or children. It's nothing evil. It's normal. I think the fire analogy, while extreme, is perfect.

WDW1974

I didn't say it was leaving.. I was talking about the reaction to it. The regular fans really don't love it all that much after the 'new' wore off. The people that loved the original and were so excited to get the subs back hated that the indoor was all projections. Most find it cute, but not worth actually waiting for. And it's telling when you go and look at most poeple's regular visit and say 'Did you ride Nemo?' and they have to admit they skipped it. It's like Lincoln.. most fans would cry murder if they tried to take it out again.. yet they don't actually watch the show themselves. And the truth came out when Al first started the rumor about the Subs potentially being on the block... the fans when faced with 'getting a new E-ticket' vs 'keeping the subs'.. most were in favor of dumping the subs even tho Disney just dumped so much into them. People love to have them, more then they love to ride them.

I don't know how prevalent that 'tude really is, but it certainly exists. No doubt. But I do think the subs are just say ... a wee bit more popular than Lincoln. The only reason Lincoln remains is because everytime they attempt to take it out the OC GOPers go nuts (many who haven't seen the show since Nixon was in the WH), which I find odd for so many reasons.

I think the subs are still quite popular and aren't going anywhere. I think Al was fed some info from his high up sources in an effort to gauge grassroots fan opinion. No more, no less.

I dunno if I'll ride them in two weeks. I rode them last fall and again in December, but skipped on my January visit. I don't feel they're a 'must' by any stretch.

And Midway Mania is another lightning rod in the community where people feel its a letdown in that it's fully a digital experience vs physical. It's a ride that is hugely popular, but is often poo-poo'd in the fan community as being a poster-child for 'interactive' initiatives vs actual story telling or immersive physical experiences. For many, it's a illustration of the change in dumbing down experiences for cheap thrills that are very much like things you can get elsewhere. TSMM is a supped up video game.

TSMM is cheap. If you like screens and video games, then you'll likely enjoy it. Me? I think it's the second most overrated attraction at WDW (TT would be #1). It really isn't all that different from playing at home except you are in a moving vehicle, albeit one that stops when you play and basically just moves you from one screen to another.

WDW1974

I'd love it of someone could answer our question:)
Anyone been on both Blasters and can tell us which one is harder to max out on?

Been on all of them, except TDL's (no, wasn't going to wait 110 minutes or waste a FP on it!)

The easiest and only one I've ever maxed out is MK's ... repeatedly. If you know how, you can be done in the first room or the second.

And that is precisely why the ride sucks. You ride long enough, you'll figure it out and then there's no point in riding again.

WDW1974

Lasseter may not have the track record in theme park attractions to justify his Golden Boy status, but in movies he sure does. And make no mistake, the movies make billions for the company, in contrast with the puny millions thrown off by the parks.

And that's why he's one of maybe three individuals I can think of that can do an end around Bob and take concerns to the BoD or anyone for that matter.

His responsibilities and care will always be: Pixar, WDFA and WDI ... in that order. And that is as it should be.
He's an amazing creative talent ... at filmmaking. ... Some of those skills translate to theme parks (remember all of DL's creators came from the Studios), but not all and not UNIversally!

WDW1974

I'm gonna call you on that Submarine comment. Lassiter was no where's near Disney when that attraction was being re imagined. I personally was with a group of friends, owners of another website, and one imagineer who explained the trials done on the attraction. He explained the trial runs they did before coming up with the underwater projection boxes. I might add, this was long before Al Lutz, or Marcie on MouseInfo had spoke of anything concerning the reboot of the sub lagoon. Lassiter was not a part of that. We were literally standing next to the sub lagoon when the imagineer told us what was being tested. This was way before the tech now used on that attraction, and then cloned at EPCOT. Afterward we had dinner at DTD in a Mexican eatery, and talked about our Imagineer's transfer to another Disney land outside of the country. For a time frame, this was around the time the Autopia at DL was re imagined, and the elements of the queue line were mentioned as part of the new tech being tested at the lagoon.
As such, you need to re imagine Lassiter's track record.

Lasseter helped get the subs greenlit ... after that he took a back seat, but only for a bit. I don't know who you know or what they told you, but Lasseter got his hands dirty on the project and helped the budget balloon to absurd levels. I know this for a fact. ... Now, maybe at that particular time you had your dinner, he wasn't very involved (or involved down in Anaheim directly.) That's possible.

Californian Elitist

Been on all of them, except TDL's (no, wasn't going to wait 110 minutes or waste a FP on it!)

The easiest and only one I've ever maxed out is MK's ... repeatedly. If you know how, you can be done in the first room or the second.

And that is precisely why the ride sucks. You ride long enough, you'll figure it out and then there's no point in riding again.

:/ Well that sucks.

doctornick

I agree with what you said in this post but it would be nice if some of that influence extended to WDW. He's not the second coming of Walt Disney, I doubt there'll ever be someone like Disney again, but Lasseter is the closest we've come in a while. As Carsland at DCA has proven, if Lasseter puts his mind to it he can have a huge input in creating an immersive and entertaining attraction that is also a big draw financially. Like I said before, if he really doesn't want Carsland at WDW then rather than throw his toys out of the pram as some have suggested he would, he should come up with an equally immersive and entertaining alternative. At the end of the day, Carsland isn't going to solve all of DHS's problems, the park would still need more even with that addition so the sooner something actually begins to happen, the better.

Something is going to happen at DHS. We know that the powers that be are talking about it, we know that funding is earmarked for it and we know there is at least consideration for RSR/Carsland to go. If RSR/Carsland does not happen -- whether due to Lasseter protesting or some other reason -- then the reality is that something will go in instead. My hope/concern is that Lasserter and whomever else is involved from Imagineering will come up with something as engaging as Carsland is.

I've got to imagine that Lasserter would be just as vocal about getting quality in WDW as he was with DCA. Even without having the sentimental attachment to WDW specifically, he doesn't seem like someone who will allow things to be done poorly, especially if it involves his baby Pixar (which almost certainly any major expansion of DHS would involve). So, maybe we don't see RSR or Carsland at DHS, but if not it will be be cause (hopefully) awesome Monsters Inc or Incredibles or Ratatouille, etc. attractions are added instead.

And no matter what, I feel pretty secure that something from Cars will be added to DHS. At a minimum, even if RSR does not happen, I think we'd see Mater's Junkyard Jamboree added in an expanded Pixar Place (which would be a fair compromise between the "keep Carsland unique to DL" and the "bring a successful cloned attraction to WDW because it is most cost effective" crowds).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom