DHS CARS LAND

Californian Elitist

I have always liked this kind of thinking. Take the ill-fated WestCot. I am so thrilled that was never built. I have been complaining for years that when Disney clones an attraction, they are only cannibalizing possible future markets in an effort for short term reward. Cars Land should remain in DCA only. The parks become too homogenized. I personally think both parks would be in better shape if they both stopped sharing some common items. Will it cost a little bit more? Yes, there will be a short term hit on profits (which is why it will never happen). Disney is ultimately the only thing that can compete with Disney and push it to the guest experience it is capable of presenting. Universal is trying. I have a glimmer of hope it is waking a sleeping giant because if WDW really wants to try to innovate and invest in itself, it will be difficult for anyplace to compete with it. If Disney just worked on competing with itself, I feel the money flow that would result would exceed anything they are currently doing.

Thank you, exactly. I for one am glad WestCot wasn't built either. I'm all for keeping things unique. I'll ignore the fact that a Disneyland type park has been replicated fives times now.

devoy1701

Bingo. You couldn't of said it better. I have no plans or intentions on going to Disney land. Traveling all the way to California from Florida would cost to much

Traveling to Cali from florida doesn't cost anymore than traveling to anywhere else in the country. And once your there you cam budget the same amount of money (or less) visiting Disneyland as you do Walt Disney World. This notion that Disneyland is ridiculously expensive and to hard to get to is absurd!

heatherkatheleen

I want something unique! Monstropolis (which I would personally loveeeee)! Lion King Land (could have some awesome rock work like Cars Land and be just as immersive.. I guess they wouldn't like putting this in DHS because it's better suited to AK though) Toy Story Land! Something special to WDW!

techee

Cloning the DCA darkride seems silly. It's a decent enough dark ride, but it was using a lot of the infrastructure of Super Star Limo. I wouldn't mind several of these smaller C ticket dark rides based on Pixar properties to round out Pixar Place either, but again a direct clone of Mike and Sully to the Rescue seems silly.

I really don't know much about any original rides at DCA, except for Carsland, which I only saw online, and I know what it (Monsters Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue) replaced, but what I wanted was a ride that would follow Monsters Inc. story. Hollywood Studios don't need another coaster, even if it's a family coaster. They need another family ride, without a height requirement, and that seems like one option that might work. I looked at the Monsters Inc ride in Tokyo Disneyland (Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek), but the plot almost reminds me of the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, where they turn the factory into a laugh floor. Plus, it's interactive (using flashlights to shine on the different monsters) which is similar to Toy Story Space Ranger Spin and Toy Story Midway Mania. In conclusion, I think HS needs a ride that does follow the story of Monsters Inc. and the only ride like that is Monsters Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue (which is a family dark ride). Plus, this ride doesn't have to follow the same infrastructure as Superstar Limo, which makes it it's unique take on this ride. Or, they could just do an unique take on the movie, which is also possible.

yankspy

I am sure someone has said this already and I doubt it would happen but why not build something based on the second movie.

You could still have a race but have it set in either Tokyo or in Porta Corsa (SP)

Either scene could be just as visually stunning as the one in DCA. (Not to mention that the second one had better characters, IMO)

spacemt354

Chili's
Traveling to Cali from florida doesn't cost anymore than traveling to anywhere else in the country. And once your there you cam budget the same amount of money (or less) visiting Disneyland as you do Walt Disney World. This notion that Disneyland is ridiculously expensive and to hard to get to is absurd!

Hmm I disagree. From Newark airport in New Jersey or JFK in New York, flights to Orlando are much cheaper than flights to Cali. Usually it's half the traveling time, half the expense. Then once you get out to California, I'd give about 3 days to be able to see all of Disneyland. Typical WDW guests spend about a week and they still cannot see everything the place has to offer. So now an entire family has spent double the money to travel across the country to a place that they can cover in half the time of their WDW vacation. Sure, the other half of the trip can be to take in the greater Los Angeles area and all the history that surrounds it, but then you're probably going to have to rent a car, or take city transportation, which costs more money. At WDW, a car is not needed and transportation is free.

There is a valid point in this argument. Doesn't mean that a family that truly wants to save money and see this cannot do so, but it's a lot easier and less expensive (from our experience) in the long run to go to WDW if you live in the northeast or the east coast.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can understand that sentiment, the only reason I disagree is because of the crown jewel called Tokyo DisneySea, which any Disney fan owes it to themselves to see at least once in their lifetime...its that good.

Step outside of WDWmagic for a minute.. imagine meeting some casual aquaitances in a social setting. Imagine you told them about your recent journey to the land of one of the world's oldest civilizations... rich in history and culture.. do you think they will ask 'But did you goto that slice of America there in Toyko called Disneyland?'

techee

Little Mermaid was not built on SSL infrastructure. It is in a different building. That was Mike and Sulley to the Rescue. And for the love everything, that thing does not need to be cloned!

Like I said, they could always make an original ride, that's based on the movie, and not use the same things that was used over at DCA. 'Cause I don't think HS needs another coaster ride with a height requirement, just a family ride like what you would see in Fantasyland, that's all, but themed to a Pixar movie, in this case Monsters Inc. So, no cloning of that ride would be necessary.

Rasvar

Thank you, exactly. I for one am glad WestCot wasn't built either. I'm all for keeping things unique. I'll ignore the fact that a Disneyland type park has been replicated fives times now.
My eyes roll so far when Hong Kong and Shanghai are mentioned they need a GPS to find their way back. I am fortunate that I travel often so I make it to both DLR and WDW. WDW is my "home park". I grew up in Florida. My parents had me at the Magic Kingdom on opening day in 1971. I was also at opening day for EPCOT Center and Disney-MGM Studios. I missed Animal Kingdoms opening because my work had me in Alabama working disaster centers for an F5 tornado earlier in the month. I feel for WDW the way someone who grew up in SoCal with Disneyland feels. I felt sorry for DLR in 2001. I feel sorry for WDW now. I want it to get some of the real love it needs. I hope it gets it and it is not just a copy of something else.

Oh, I was also one of the few unfortunate people who actually rode Superstar Limo. That was a true low point for the Disney company!

yoyoflamingo

Hmm I disagree. From Newark airport in New Jersey or JFK in New York, flights to Orlando are much cheaper than flights to Cali. Usually it's half the traveling time, half the expense. Then once you get out to California, I'd give about 3 days to be able to see all of Disneyland. Typical WDW guests spend about a week and they still cannot see everything the place has to offer. So now an entire family has spent double the money to travel across the country to a place that they can cover in half the time of their WDW vacation. Sure, the other half of the trip can be to take in the greater Los Angeles area and all the history that surrounds it, but then you're probably going to have to rent a car, or take city transportation, which costs more money. At WDW, a car is not needed and transportation is free.

There is a valid point in this argument. Doesn't mean that a family that truly wants to save money and see this cannot do so, but it's a lot easier and less expensive (from our experience) in the long run to go to WDW if you live in the northeast or the east coast.

I fly from JFK to LAX for about the same I fly Southwest to Orlando, maybe a little more, but nothing exorbitant. Just have to keep watching. Virgin America is the one I keep coming back to.

And with the bus transportation in WDW, I would rather rent a car anyway than deal with that mess again.

If someone asked me, I would definitely recommend CA over FL. The only thing that might be a deal breaker to some people is the flight time. That's still something that can't be changed. But I know for us, we always prefer DL over WDW.

Just my .02 though. :)

rioriz

Recent clones from DLR:
-Soarin
-TSMM - while built simultaneously, the ride was designed for DCA. The cream, red, orange, and blue color scheme was designed for the DCA boardwalk - it doesn't fit DHS.
-LM - while also simultaneous, the ride was designed for DCA. Notice the huge diagonal portion in the southwest corner at WDW. The building was modified so the DCA rotunda would fit. It was adapted to fit FLE.
-Art of Animation activities - the screens, voice changers, animation academy
-Seas with Nemo could be partially argued to be a partial-clone of the Nemo subs (a lot of the animation work and design -ie $$$ - was designed for DLR first)
-Dinosaur - same ride system and exactly same track layout as Indy at DLR
-Tiki Room revamp - audio taken from updated DLR version

Recent clones from other parks:
-LMA from DLRP
-7DMT from Shanghai (while opening first in WDW, the engineering and design bill was footed by Shanghai)

I will not give you CTX because it is a totally different ride experience...Tiki...meh....so still we are looking at ToT, ITBAB, BUZZ, Crush, Millionaire, Muppets, Pooh....the point is lets not act like it never happens vice versa. Missed in this thread that Monsters Inc is strongly hinted to be included also...an original

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Step outside of WDWmagic for a minute.. imagine meeting some casual aquaitances in a social setting. Imagine you told them about your recent journey to the land of one of the world's oldest civilizations... rich in history and culture.. do you think they will ask 'But did you goto that slice of America there in Toyko called Disneyland?'

No, but I tell them about DisneySea and they get very excited...no disappointment yet from people who I've mentioned it to and have gone there.

Its not about a slice of America, its about the fact that there's an incredible theme park so immersive you really feel like you're in another place entirely. Yes, I LOVE Tokyo and all of its wonders as well, which is why I'd love to move there, but taking a day out to visit DisneySea is well worth it IMO

heatherkatheleen

I'm sure if someone were to visit Japan, they would do much more than visit DisneySea, but if they were a Disney fan, why not visit? I don't think ChrisFL is saying people should just visit Japan for the sole reason of visiting DisneySea, but I can see why an avid Disney fan would especially want to visit Tokyo not only because it's an amazing place, but because it just so happens to have a Disney park, too :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom