DHS CARS LAND

csm

I agree 100 percent with that. I don't get the fascination many people have with that ride -- it's just not that good.

Like everything in that park though, it can be easily defended with the following four words:

"But it's pretty though."

I guess if you put me on the spot right now and said you can ride only one of them, which would you pick? I'd tell you Aquatopia - but that has nothing to do with ride quality and everything to do with Journey to the Center of the Earth proximity!

RSoxNo1

I do not. I actually asked (figuring that might be your follow-up question) but my source didn't have the info on that installation.

Have you ridden Aquatopia? I have. It's not very compelling. It's selling point is that it's in Tokyo DisneySea. There's zero interactivity to it at all.
I haven't, but I imagine that if they want the concept of the flying tire attraction that the LPS system would work much better. They can have the vehicles accelerate more than they do currently, they can incorporate spins (or even have spin control as something that can be governed by the rider) and all in all make it a better ride than the DCA version. If you're going to ask me would I prefer an LPS version of Luigi's or a dark ride, I'm going to pick a dark ride every time. I'm just suggesting a way to improve what is the lone below average component of Carsland.

csm

I haven't, but I imagine that if they want the concept of the flying tire attraction that the LPS system would work much better. They can have the vehicles accelerate more than they do currently, they can incorporate spins (or even have spin control as something that can be governed by the rider) and all in all make it a better ride than the DCA version. If you're going to ask me would I prefer an LPS version of Luigi's or a dark ride, I'm going to pick a dark ride every time. I'm just suggesting a way to improve what is the lone below average component of Carsland.

Luigi's already had spin controls governed by the riders. It was deemed a total failure and removed from the ride vehicles before grand opening. Since removing the components of that system, the tires move faster than they previously did as they are now considerably lighter.

Aquatopia does not move very fast, and it does not spin very much either.

Expecting multiple dark rides to be added in a single land is fairly unreasonable, unless you don't expect the additional one(s) to be of high quality.

RSoxNo1

Luigi's already had spin controls governed by the riders. It was deemed a total failure and removed from the ride vehicles before grand opening. Since removing the components of that system, the tires move faster than they previously did as they are now considerably lighter.

Aquatopia does not move very fast, and it does not spin very much either.

Expecting multiple dark rides to be added in a single land is fairly unreasonable, unless you don't expect the additional one(s) to be of high quality.
A spin component on an LPS system would presumably work differently than a spin component on an air hockey table. It would also not have to be used in conjunction with shifting your weight to move the vehicle.

As for a dark ride, you're right - you're not going to get much for $35 million unless Universal is building. If it means eliminating both Luigi's and Mater's in favor of a D-ticket dark ride I think many people would appreciate that trade off.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Have you ridden Aquatopia? I have. It's not very compelling. It's selling point is that it's in Tokyo DisneySea. There's zero interactivity to it at all.

I've ridden Aquatopia twice, I think its kinda fun for what it is...a unique ride where there's plenty of places you MIGHT get wet, and you avoid them...and yes, there are tracks you can see where the vehicles go, but that's not necessarily where yours will go.

IMO it fits well with DisneySea's idea of a park for young couples (At least that how I've heard it described a few times)

csm

I've ridden Aquatopia twice, I think its kinda fun for what it is...a unique ride where there's plenty of places you MIGHT get wet, and you avoid them...and yes, there are tracks you can see where the vehicles go, but that's not necessarily where yours will go.

Aquatopia is trackless.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Aquatopia is trackless.

technically yes, but the vehicles MAKE tracks by their tires...they aren't just floating although they're designed to appear that way

AQnowater.jpg

BrianLo

I agree Aquatopia is really not that compelling of an attraction. Especially for the price I'm sure Disney would shell out.

I'd like for them to replace Flying Tires with that Drive in restaurant concept, I assume they could produce that for under the same price?

M.rudolf

I agree Aquatopia is really not that compelling of an attraction. Especially for the price I'm sure Disney would shell out.

I'd like for them to replace Flying Tires with that Drive in restaurant concept, I assume they could produce that for under the same price?
Won't happen due to SciFI Diner

WDW1974

I think most people figure out how to make them move properly -- right about the time the ride ends. And then who's going to wait in a line 90 minutes long to ride it a second time, once they actually know how it works? No one I know (I won't even wait in a line that long once).

So, it's probably a nice concept for a ride that would consistently have a 5-10 minute wait. But in practice, it's not a great experience for many people.

Honestly, Luigi's was the one disappointment from Carsland. I left thinking it was definitely a Lasseter vanity project and that his nostalgia for the Flying Saucers blinded him to the fact they never worked right and were a maintenance disaster in the 60s and the technology hasn't been improved very much (if at all).

I rode around, bumping into people (where they immediately stop for fear of lawsuits), getting trapped by others etc ... there was barely any movement and there just wasn't a fun factor and they take up a large chunk of valuable real estate. And the locals already don't care to be bothered, which isn't a good sign for the future.

WDW1974

Like everything in that park though, it can be easily defended with the following four words:

"But it's pretty though."

I guess if you put me on the spot right now and said you can ride only one of them, which would you pick? I'd tell you Aquatopia - but that has nothing to do with ride quality and everything to do with Journey to the Center of the Earth proximity!

Well, it is pretty. And it certainly gave more of a ride (i.e. movement -- it did something) than Luigi's ... you do move around and there are water effects and you can't beat the view into Tokyo Bay either.

It also seemed to thrill the 5-year-old I visited with (not mine, thank God!) But I also got something out of the rides (did it three times in a row since there wasn't a wait on a cool December say) and I got nothing out of riding the Flying Tires that aren't really tires and barely move let alone fly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom