DHS CARS LAND

cynic710

id be on board for the park to become Disney Pixar hollywood studios. Disney's presence in the movies now is more than half because of pixar and its contributions to cinema, so why not just kick it off full steam ahead? from there pixar place can have its own land, complete with carsland east, the MI coaster, my "up" skyway idea and even an incredibles dark ride to pair with midway mania.

a man can dream, cant he? isnt that how all this started anyway ;)

Turtle

if i got a wish list for carsland east, i would want:

- a doc hudson walk-thru (complete with psiton cups)
- no luigi racers, but some sort of food purchase involving case della tires and the whitewalls.
- i will agree with all as i said before that a MI coaster would be awesome, and in its own way can tie into carsland.
- also like i said before, a tie-in to pixar place.
nonono. no monsters inc in CARSLAND

Lee

Adventurer
Isn't there a McQueen spinner in Paris? I don't like the idea of two spinners, but it wouldn't shock me.
Not really a spinner, more like a scrambler. Similar to Mater's. Not needed at DHS, at all.
2-disney-studio-paris-20.jpg

RSoxNo1

Luigi's being traded out for a dark ride would be good. Find a piece that Racers doesn't hit too much and build out from it. Or, transition from Carsland to a place that an "Up" dark ride could fit. Then, that could transition to an area for the Monsters, Inc coaster. Pixar has become such an important part of Disney at this point that Disney has a lot of intellectual property to select.
I said this when I came back from visiting Carsland that I would prefer that Luigi's and Mater's be swapped out for a solid dark ride with comparable capacity to those two attractions combined. Having said that, wasn't the budget for Luigi's close to $100 mil?

csm

wasn't the budget for Luigi's close to $100 mil?

Not even close - Luigi was $35 million. Here's the thing though - while there's a huge difference in what you thought it cost and what they paid, no one should lose sight of the fact that $35m is an *insane* pricetag for a flat ride. Heck, Revenge of the Mummy - which at the time in 2004 was one of the biggest investments in Universal's history, cost $40 million. Granted there is much to be said about inflated internal price tags within WDI that cause a lot of that, but $35m for a small flat ride is still fairly absurd in the industry. Personally, I don't think there's any payoff either. At best Luigi's is kind of "meh." It's not utterly terrible, but it's not memorable either. I even took a family member on it who vividly recalls riding the original Disneyland Flying Saucers as a child, and her reaction was "Oh, that's not nearly what I remember."

Bolna

The quality of the design and theming doesn't surprise me. I would have been much more surprised if they had put some generic-looking restrooms in that scenic spot.

Yes, I think the level of theming they use for these restrooms are just what current Disney standards should be if you look at why they achieved with parks like DLP or AK. It's just that the MK pales in comparison to the better designed/themed parks Disney has built since 1971 (there are exceptions though if one thinks of WDS Paris). So the restrooms appear to be overly pretty because a lot of the MK actually isn't that pretty.

csm

I'm sorry, I have never been to Cali so color me ignorate but what is Luigi's and why is it so hated?

Luigi's Flying Tires is a modern day version of the old Flying Saucers ride from Disneyland's Tomorrowland back in the 1960s. We all remember seeing the super-fun-looking footage of the saucers from back in the day - but come to find out the problem is that the famous footage we've all seen was all sped up to more than twice the actual speed. The *actual* ride moves slowly. It just sort of meanders around, and -while I myself was able to figure out how to make them move properly - it seems I'm in the minority there as a LOT of people barely get them to move at all once on the ride.

Again - I do not hate Luigi's Flying Tires - but I have no driving desire to ride it again either.

PurpleRose

Luigi's Flying Tires is a modern day version of the old Flying Saucers ride from Disneyland's Tomorrowland back in the 1960s. We all remember seeing the super-fun-looking footage of the saucers from back in the day - but come to find out the problem is that the famous footage we've all seen was all sped up to more than twice the actual speed. The *actual* ride moves slowly. It just sort of meanders around, and -while I myself was able to figure out how to make them move properly - it seems I'm in the minority there as a LOT of people barely get them to move at all once on the ride.

Again - I do not hate Luigi's Flying Tires - but I have no driving desire to ride it again either.

Ah! Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me.

nytimez

I think most people figure out how to make them move properly -- right about the time the ride ends. And then who's going to wait in a line 90 minutes long to ride it a second time, once they actually know how it works? No one I know (I won't even wait in a line that long once).

So, it's probably a nice concept for a ride that would consistently have a 5-10 minute wait. But in practice, it's not a great experience for many people.

csm

I think most people figure out how to make them move properly -- right about the time the ride ends. And then who's going to wait in a line 90 minutes long to ride it a second time, once they actually know how it works? No one I know (I won't even wait in a line that long once).

So, it's probably a nice concept for a ride that would consistently have a 5-10 minute wait. But in practice, it's not a great experience for many people.

In the week I was there (and trust me, it was very crowded - with Racers getting up near 3 hours at times) I've never seen Luigi's hit higher than 20-30 minutes. That's still *way* too long to wait in my opinion.

Fun fact: during test & adjust, Luigi's ride cycle was *extended* a full 30 seconds because no one could figure out how to get them to move until right when it ended.

csm

Honestly - what I said (and interestingly enough what my family member said who'd been on the original version in the 60s at a separate time from my own statement) was that Luigi's would be a lot more fun if either it had twice the size footprint or half the number of ride vehicles. What KILLS that ride is the fact that virtually *no one* can figure out how to make it move, effectively blocking in and pinning down the few of us who can get it to move, preventing even us from doing anything with the tire.

nytimez

In the week I was there (and trust me, it was very crowded - with Racers getting up near 3 hours at times) I've never seen Luigi's hit higher than 20-30 minutes. That's still *way* too long to wait in my opinion.

Fun fact: during test & adjust, Luigi's ride cycle was *extended* a full 30 seconds because no one could figure out how to get them to move until right when it ended.

When I was there, it was 70-90 minutes... but yeah, even 20-30 minutes is way too long.

RSoxNo1

Not even close - Luigi was $35 million. Here's the thing though - while there's a huge difference in what you thought it cost and what they paid, no one should lose sight of the fact that $35m is an *insane* pricetag for a flat ride. Heck, Revenge of the Mummy - which at the time in 2004 was one of the biggest investments in Universal's history, cost $40 million. Granted there is much to be said about inflated internal price tags within WDI that cause a lot of that, but $35m for a small flat ride is still fairly absurd in the industry. Personally, I don't think there's any payoff either. At best Luigi's is kind of "meh." It's not utterly terrible, but it's not memorable either. I even took a family member on it who vividly recalls riding the original Disneyland Flying Saucers as a child, and her reaction was "Oh, that's not nearly what I remember."
Thanks, do you know what Mater's cost?

As to how fun Luigi's is - I didn't find it particularly fun at all. I've said it countless times that it would work much better (and presumably be much more expensive than $35 million) as an LPS ride like Aquatopia on land.

csm

Thanks, do you know what Mater's cost?

I do not. I actually asked (figuring that might be your follow-up question) but my source didn't have the info on that installation.

As to how fun Luigi's is - I didn't find it particularly fun at all. I've said it countless times that it would work much better (and presumably be much more expensive than $35 million) as an LPS ride like Aquatopia on land.

Have you ridden Aquatopia? I have. It's not very compelling. It's selling point is that it's in Tokyo DisneySea. There's zero interactivity to it at all.

nytimez

Have you ridden Aquatopia? I have. It's not very compelling. It's selling point is that it's in Tokyo DisneySea. There's zero interactivity to it at all.

I agree 100 percent with that. I don't get the fascination many people have with that ride -- it's just not that good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom