DHS CARS LAND

lazyboy97o

"Hope" is a vague yet optimistic word. I see no meaning in its usage. The line sounds better than "No comment" but also really promises nothing as it comes across as a purely personal position, not something from an official capacity within the Company.

DocMcHulk

Lasseter was against the idea of Cars Land at WDW though according to insiders here, he was fighting to keep it a California exclusive land. I realize he has restrictions to what he's supposed to say but I'm wondering what they did to get him to actually say he HOPES it will come. He could have just said something vague and unspecific (like "I've no idea" or whatever which wouldn't force him to sound like he supports or is against the idea, AND wouldn't confirm or deny its existence). His comment almost sounds like he's at least confirming it's being thought about, if not vaguely confirming it's coming.
Here's a different angle. It is an exclusive... for now. If we are talking 2016 or so, then it'll be exclusive to DCA for almost 4 years.

RunnerEd

Why is a fifth gate even mentioned in the current WDW climate? DHS and FutureWorld are shells, DAK needs a new land, and MK hasn't had an E-ticket in what 10-15 years? And we can't even get TDO to invest a few million to upgrade to digital at Philharmagic and Soarin ...

I agree with your entire post with the exception of the part in bold. I don't think it would cost a few million to upgrade to digital which makes it even more maddening!

FrankLapidus

Don't think DHS automatically, I think a fifth gate is more feasible long term.

A fifth gate would be the most unfeasible thing for WDW, three of the four parks they already have are in need of some serious attention and there's no way to justify adding another one before those issues are rectified. If Cars Land comes to WDW it is going to be at DHS, that much is pretty clear right now and it will provide a huge boost to a park in desperate need of some quality additions.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

A fifth gate would be the most unfeasible thing for WDW, three of the four parks they already have are in need of some serious attention and there's no way to justify adding another one before those issues are rectified. If Cars Land comes to WDW it is going to be at DHS, that much is pretty clear right now and it will provide a huge boost to a park in desperate need of some quality additions.

I agree, this idea of a fifth gate that a lot of people support seems so foolish to me...let's make the four parks we have now the best ever before we go off half-cocked making a fifth

stevehousse

Besides if they did make a fifth park it would have to hands down be Disney Sea! But agree that the other four parks need to be at their best before thy do that!

ChrisM

Here's the way I see it:

Lasseter has been, and is, against the idea of a cheap Carsland. He had to fight to make sure that the budget for Carsland was adequate. I think when he says, "he hopes", no doubt WDI execs and others will want to have JL give the thumbs up for any plans for Carsland at WDW. Pixar is a cash cow for the company, they do *not* want to do anything that messes with this part of the company, and that includes ticking-off JL.

I think he *hopes* that real logistical issues are resolved, such as where to put Carsland. Don't think DHS automatically, I think a fifth gate is more feasible long term. Plus, Carsland is a big hit now, but the suits probably want to see at least a year of performance, likely two, to predict long term trends and to identify operational issues that might need to be changed with Carsland 2.0.

You're beginning to morph into jt. Or was it always thus?

tomman710

They could add Carsland, MI Coaster, Indy Ride, and SW Land to DHS in addition to the show upgrades and removal of the hat ... then they could add Beastly Kingdom or Avatar or whatever land to DAK and a new E-ticket to MK and after all that they still couldn't justify a new park because EPCOT would need work.

Current TDO can't be trusted to drive the car they have, let's not give them more to crash.

stevehousse

I've said it before and I'll say it again... DisneySea should be the addition to Animal Kingdom (instead of crapatar)

I don't see Disney Sea being added to AK! How can it when it's its own park? I can see then adding an Oceans Land with lots of aquariums and giant sea creatures though...

WDW1974

I met John Lasseter today at Epcot. He and his wife are doing beverage seminars for their winery as part of the Food and Wine Festival. You can meet him yourself if you go to the Festival Center where he should be signing bottles of wine (priced at $30 - $ 50), taking pictures, and answering questions from 3pm - 3:30pm on the 17th. They sell the wine directly for $24 - $40 so pricing isn't ridiculous. The seminar is from 2pm - 2:45pm and anyone can watch in the back, though space has long since sold out. He talks mostly about wine, but adds in some stories about Walt, Disneyland, etc.

Anyway, I asked him, "So is Cars Land coming to Florida?" His response was, "I sure hope so."

Take from that what you will. He also talked for a brief moment about New Fantasyland, which he was not aware was open to guests yet.

ikjsQ.jpg

Here they are presenting.

Interesting.

One wonders whether he was speaking in general (as in a fan just asked me something that I need a canned answer for as in 'Golly, it sure would be swell to see Carsland here' OR if he was speaking from the heart after many meetings on two coasts and he is saying 'I really hope we're able to get this thing built at the Studios after all this back and forth.'

Big difference in the two.

But I know some folks going to the Citricos lunch with John and Nancy and they'll definitely be speaking so maybe we'll have more info soon.

Mukta

Time for an opinion poll and threadjack. People have said they don't want to see a new Cars Land Clone. Would you people be ok with the same tested track layout....but an entirely new theme? Second, I know WDI has moved rides across the country and/or overseas, have they ever actually moved an attraction between lands, or between parks in the same property? Fire away!!

I'd be fine with the same ride and a different theme.

Cosmic Commando

Why is a fifth gate even mentioned in the current WDW climate? DHS and FutureWorld are shells, DAK needs a new land, and MK hasn't had an E-ticket in what 10-15 years? And we can't even get TDO to invest a few million to upgrade to digital at Philharmagic and Soarin ...
It's been 20 years since the MK has had a new E-ticket, friend. Splash opened in 1992.

doctornick

Lasseter was against the idea of Cars Land at WDW though according to insiders here, he was fighting to keep it a California exclusive land.

I don't know if that's true. I think many, including some insiders, have speculated that Lasserter might be pushing for Cars LAnd to be DCA exclusive, but I think it's an educated guest. I don't recall anyone making a bold statement like "Lasseter is the one stopping Cars Land from being green lit because he is against it going to Florida" -- the rumors seem to be more along the along of "some folks are not supporting Cars Land in DHS" and it's just assumed to be Lasseter (+/- others).

My point being, for all we know, Lasseter given his attachment to Pixar and love of the theme parks (even if he is more closely tied to DL) might actually be pushing for Cars Land in DHS.

invader

I don't know if that's true. I think many, including some insiders, have speculated that Lasserter might be pushing for Cars LAnd to be DCA exclusive, but I think it's an educated guest. I don't recall anyone making a bold statement like "Lasseter is the one stopping Cars Land from being green lit because he is against it going to Florida" -- the rumors seem to be more along the along of "some folks are not supporting Cars Land in DHS" and it's just assumed to be Lasseter (+/- others).

My point being, for all we know, Lasseter given his attachment to Pixar and love of the theme parks (even if he is more closely tied to DL) might actually be pushing for Cars Land in DHS.
I would imagine he'd make quite the $$ from it, too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't know if that's true. I think many, including some insiders, have speculated that Lasserter might be pushing for Cars LAnd to be DCA exclusive, but I think it's an educated guest. I don't recall anyone making a bold statement like "Lasseter is the one stopping Cars Land from being green lit because he is against it going to Florida.

Go back to page 60 of this thread. There was at least 1 person who was insisting that it was a fact that he was blocking it. Good thing he/she was wrong;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom