deleted

Animaniac93-98

The LA Times weighs in on the DSP announcement. Apparently a $2.4 billion theme park investment by Disney is international news, and not just fodder for fans to geek out over.

It's a project on the scale of DCA 2.0 and as close as you can get to announcing a new theme park, without actually being a brand new park.

A $2.4 billion investment by the company is big news. Even if some fans in the US don't care about the Euro parks.

D

Deleted member 107043

Different scenario than Anaheim but my point stands. If MB was viewed as a smashing success, they would clone it in Paris.

Not necessarily. If it were true that clones are the exclusive measure of success/popularity then why haven’t HMH, Buena Vista Street, Cars Land, or Mystic Manor been cloned?

mickEblu

Not necessarily. If it were true that clones are the exclusive measure of success/popularity then why haven’t HMH, Buena Vista Street, Cars Land, or Mystic Manor been cloned?

I don’t think that this reverse reasoning is valid. I don’t remember what it’s called but there is a name for this. I remember from studying for LSATs 15 years ago when I was flirting with law school. Shoot! Someone help.

Anyway I never said they were the exclusive measure of success. I was speaking on the scenario at Paris with all specific factors being considered and not making a blanket statement for all Disney parks worldwide or what protocol should be.

mickEblu

Why theme it to a studio? You go to the parks step inside other worlds; nothing takes you out of that more than telling you you're on a movie set. For a company that's supposed to be crafting experiences, this seems like such poor storytelling. By this logic they should call it Haunted Mansion Spooky Dark Ride.

I hate seeing the word “studio.” The set up is “this isn’t real.” Doesn’t really excite me.

mickEblu

The whole studio theming thing has never worked for me. I want the fantasy of the results of the production, not a look at the fake gears turning in a pretend production machine.

Exactly. The only place it worked for me was USH in the late 80s/ early 90s. Was it because I was 6-8 years old and didn’t know anything, because the theme was fresh then or because the theme is organic at USH and Better implemented. Maybe a bit of all 3

mickEblu

When did the desire in themed entertainment move so far from wanting to see how things work behind the scenes to extreme escapism? I think escapism has always been the preference of most and the former was just a flash in the Pan.

D

Deleted member 107043

Exactly. The only place it worked for me was USH in the late 80s/ early 90s. Was it because I was 6-8 years old and didn’t know anything, because theme was fresh then or because the theme is organic at USH and Better implemented. Maybe a bit of all 3

Well USH was/is a real studio. A park or land themed to be a studio backlot just doesn’t work.

mickEblu

In my opinion The Tram tour at USH is not what it used to be. I think that’s due to the combination of what happens when a park holds onto the same old hokey effects/ sets and over utilizing screens. (Two different sides of the spectrum but both bad). How has Jaws not been upgraded? Then when the Bob Gurr King Kong died in the fire, instead of building a bigger and badder one, they went to screens. Don’t even get me started on the cheesiest thing I’ve ever experienced at a theme park (fast n furious) or the sad faded Grinch sets. Earthquake is the only thing that still kind of works (kind of) and just driving around the fake city set and the property in general. Oh ya flash flood too, if your sitting in the right spot. Anyway the whole thing is like one long Jungle Cruise that over stays it’s welcome. Except the Jungle Cruise is charming and the guests understand the humor.

Disney can get away with old things, because they were made right the first time and have withstood the test of time. And in other cases like Tiki Room and Lincoln they re kind of like sacred cows that are still charming in their own weird way. All of this and nostalgia with the park and IP of course.

Last edited:

jbradway

My feelings on the studio as a theme is that it goes against what makes Disney special. The magic is in the story telling and making you believe you are in another time and place. The studio theme is less about the movie magic and more about showing you what it takes to make movies. It's actually a big let down. I recall walking up to Star Tours at MGM Studios and thinking it was cool to see an AT-AT out front. Then I spent the next 45 minutes in line staring at the bare steel supports behind the thing.

mickEblu

My feelings on the studio as a theme is that it goes against what makes Disney special. The magic is in the story telling and making you believe you are in another time and place. The studio theme is less about the movie magic and more about showing you what it takes to make movies. It's actually a big let down. I recall walking up to Star Tours at MGM Studios and thinking it was cool to see an AT-AT out front. Then I spent the next 45 minutes in line staring at the bare steel supports behind the thing.

In retrospect, the whole movie making magic thing was a flash in the pan.

BrianLo

I feel like TDA will just spend the next 5-10 years arguing about what to do with Marvel and then give up on it. Just like they did with the resort's parking situation.

Ah, but there is a parking garage now in the West! So just when we thinking Disney has totally given up on Marvel South: BLAMO, surprise suckers.

Marvel Land is happening after all. Not in DCA, In Disneyland.....

mickEblu

Ah, but there is a parking garage now in the West! So just when we thinking Disney has totally given up on Marvel South: BLAMO, surprise suckers.

Marvel Land is happening after all. Not in DCA, In Disneyland.....

? In Disneyland? You know something we don’t? Spill the beans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom