deleted

Castle Cake Apologist

A major expansion was announced today for Disneyland Paris, including its own Marvel Land. Could this be what the DCA one will look like as well? And could it possibly be taking over Hollywood Blvd? Or will it be a new area built using an expansion pad?View attachment 267088

How awkwardly uninspired. Though, I guess that's the general feel of WDSP, so it should fit in well.

britain

A major expansion was announced today for Disneyland Paris, including its own Marvel Land. Could this be what the DCA one will look like as well? And could it possibly be taking over Hollywood Blvd? Or will it be a new area built using an expansion pad?View attachment 267088

I think you are correct, but this concept art doesn't show as much detail as the Hong Kong Tomorrowland Marvel additions which I think could also relate to DCA:

1519749791325.png

Antaundra

I hope DCA gets a better Marvel land than that or that the concept art doesn’t accurately represent what the land will look like. It looks like a lot of flat buildings and concrete. Paul Pressler already gave us a stucko building land, and Pixar Pier is cheap IP land, I’m really hoping for something better for DCAs Marvel land.

FerretAfros

I hope DCA gets a better Marvel land than that or that the concept art doesn’t accurately represent what the land will look like. It looks like a lot of flat buildings and concrete. Paul Pressler already gave us a stucko building land, and Pixar Pier is cheap IP land, I’m really hoping for something better for DCAs Marvel land.
Regardless of the IP debate or popularity/longevity of the franchise itself, Marvel is an inherently flawed setting for a theme park environment, similar to the Muppets. The stories largely take place in everyday real-world settings that aren't particularly inspiring; it's the characters and gizmos that it interesting. However, theme parks tell stories though architecture, landscape, and the built environment, not characters and gadgets, which just doesn't translate to something particularly inspiring here.

There's really not a whole lot they can do to make an area uniquely Marvel beyond awkwardly sprinkling props and signage everywhere, which appears to what they've done. But signage and props do not a themed environment make; they're just decorations applied to the surface. I suspect there's been a reason that they've struggled for so long to come up with a good plan for DCA: they're saddled with a theme that just doesn't work well for the medium they're using.

Castle Cake Apologist

So, in addition to this barren warehouse land, they also get a cloned land with one less attraction and a land originally designed for another resort. The other areas look like they will be nice, and WDSP desperately needs something, but those other areas don't really matter in this thread.

The Marvel area looks terrible in the concept art, regardless of how nice the other additions to WDSP may wind up being. It's very bare and doesn't seem to have any actual place making. Since this thread is about the same land potentially coming to DCA, that's really the only part of this expansion that matters in this discussion.

Based on this art, I'd even say Hollywoodland is better as it is.

Antaundra

Based on this art, I'd even say Hollywoodland is better as it is.

I wouldn’t go that far. A plane and a fresh coat of paint would be a big step up for the barren wasteland that is Hollywood studios in DCA. The problem is there’s room for major improvement to the land before it even approaches being a good land worthy of being in a Disney Park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom