Death on EE

echoscot

These are all valid points. I do think they do a good job warning you, however. I think the only problem is that once you've read one warning, they all sound the same. The only warning that distinctly stands out to me is Mission Space's. I think that one is a bit much, but it gets the point across.

I think that is just because of the intense focus from the media on the "incidents" that have occured and because the CMs get tired of cleaning up the :hurl:

sknydave

I've wondered the same thing myself. I wonder if people assume that since it's Disney, they shouldn't be as concerned about the intensity of a thrill ride as they would at another theme park.

It's such a tragedy that these things happen, but I am surprised that we don't here more things like this coming from parks with a greater number of intense rides. Are there any statistics available on theme park related deaths?

They could always try just looking at the ride? Anyone can see it isn't exactly Small World.

Dingle66

While such an incident is always tragic, there's nothing to debate if the ride was working properly. All rides of this type are ride at your own risk and you must know your own health limitations and assume responsibility for your ability to handle the natural effects of the ride.

Think of the number of folks who ride a coaster anywhere on any given day and it puts some perspective on the infrequency of such a tragic event that does not involve ride malfunction. It is sad, but is it really anyone's fault?

echoscot

OH, the debate was never about Disney. The debate that turned into an argument was about the media...but let's not go back there..:rolleyes:

KeeKee

Original Poster
OH, the debate was never about Disney. The debate that turned into an argument was about the media...but let's not go back there..:rolleyes:

Seems more like a discussion, no? Everybody (mostly...) has conducted themselves like adults with differing points of view. Doesn't seem like there's a problem.

echoscot

Seems more like a discussion, no? Everybody (mostly...) has conducted themselves like adults with differing points of view. Doesn't seem like there's a problem.

true, I just wanted to clarify that we were pretty much all in agreement that there was never a question of Disney or the ride being at fault, and that it was tragic...

KeeKee

Original Poster
true, I just wanted to clarify that we were pretty much all in agreement that there was never a question of Disney or the ride being at fault, and that it was tragic...

OK. You keep saying "debate" like it's a bad thing.

Don't you agree that most people have pretty strong feelings about the media? They aren't held in the high regard that they used to be; if anyone here is even old enough to remember when that was... It seems only natural that when Disney is obviously not at fault and the media reports the incident that some folks might want to jump to Disney's defense, even though the reporting seems to have been pretty fair so far.

echoscot

OK. You keep saying "debate" like it's a bad thing.

Don't you agree that most people have pretty strong feelings about the media? They aren't held in the high regard that they used to be; if anyone here is even old enough to remember when that was... It seems only natural that when Disney is obviously not at fault and the media reports the incident that some folks might want to jump to Disney's defense, even though the reporting seems to have been pretty fair so far.

I agree with you, I just got flamed a couple of times for showing that I thought there was a discrepancy in the way the Sentinel reported it and Channel 6. I thought the Sentinel had a much nicer way of putting it. And I thought Channel 6 toned things up. It wasn't even a complete slam on the media.

Hey I work there. They kept announcing the names of the mans family over the speakers. It took them four whole hours to find the family. They extended part hours 30 minutes because so many rides were down yesterday. Everest was back up and running before the end of the day.

Sorry is this was already said but 8 pages is too much to read.

KeeKee

Original Poster
I agree with you, I just got flamed a couple of times for showing that I thought there was a discrepancy in the way the Sentinel reported it and Channel 6. I thought the Sentinel had a much nicer way of putting it. And I thought Channel 6 toned things up. It wasn't even a complete slam on the media.

I don't know if you are local or not, but Channel 6 is the most flamboyant and exploitive of the local channels. We watch TV 13 for local news. The network stations all seem to ratchet it up a notch or two, but Channel 6 is definitely the worst of the lot, so I would agree with you, although I didn't see your comments.

echoscot

I don't know if you are local or not, but Channel 6 is the most flamboyant and exploitive of the local channels. We watch TV 13 for local news. The network stations all seem to ratchet it up a notch or two, but Channel 6 is definitely the worst of the lot, so I would agree with you, although I didn't see your comments.

I grew up in Orlando, and know all about Channel 6 news, one of the worst. I like Channel 13 as well.

That was my point, I thought the Sentinel handled the coverage better than 6 and so I referred to Channel 6 coverage as sensational ( in relation to the Sentinel which apparently was misunderstood).

KeeKee

Original Poster
I grew up in Orlando, and know all about Channel 6 news, one of the worst. I like Channel 13 as well.

That was my point, I thought the Sentinel handled the coverage better than 6 and so I referred to Channel 6 coverage as sensational ( in relation to the Sentinel which apparently was misunderstood).
Got ya loud and clear and couldn't agree more! Don't know if you remember, but Channel 9 used to have a female anchor that would practically clutch the desk to deliver her lines in a state of hyper-anxiety. It was unwatchable. Won't name any names, but you probably know who I'm talking about... Definitely sticking with Channel 13.

Timmay

Placing blame or finding fault with how any media outlet is presenting a story makes little or no sense to me at all. They are in business and do stories the way they do because people want it that way. The media is providing a product in high demand. I sure don’t fault the media in any way for that.

echoscot

Placing blame or finding fault with how any media outlet is presenting a story makes little or no sense to me at all. They are in business and do stories the way they do because people want it that way. The media is providing a product in high demand. I sure don’t fault the media in any way for that.

Wheeeew the can opener is out, the worms are about to be spilled on the table........YUCK!:eek:

Timmay

Not if you don't respond. Just let it go. To each their own opinion.

So you really think if people stopped watching these "sensationalized" stories and ratings dropped like a rock the media would still do business the same way??

Wow...

KeeKee

Original Poster
So you really think if people stopped watching these "sensationalized" stories and ratings dropped like a rock the media would still do business the same way??

Wow...
First, that's not what I said at all. Second, I'm not going to get into a spitting contest with someone here because I respect the forum rules about that sort of thing.

I watch the station that I watch because I prefer the straight reading of the news without "teases" or anchor "interpretation" or other theatrical stuff like that. Others may prefer the "infotainment" approach, and I leave that to them. I certainly don't lose any sleep over it except that I feel sad for our culture that we are losing the ability to reason and think for ourselves and have a civil discourse.

Like I actually said before, you watch what you want to and I'll do the same. No hard feelings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom