Death on EE

tigsmom

Just curious, does Disney have AEDs available at all of its thrill rides or stationed throughout the park? If so, are cast members trained on their use?

Several years ago I was at a baseball game at Wide World of Sports. The person in front of me began to have a grand mal seizure. Once I realized what was happening, myself and another guest helped to make sure the person did not injure himself and we told the usher to get medical help immediately.

The persons seizure lasted several minutes. He was breathing but unconscious for about 5 minutes after his seizure. It was not until several minutes later when an EMT arrived. I remember thinking at the time that if this person had been having a heart attach, he would have been dead before help arrived.

This has been asked in the past and I believe the answer was yes, they do. Not all CMs are trained to use it and I'm sure you realize that sometimes no matter how much help you have its of no use. Medical personnel arrive as quickly as possible, but travel takes time.

Calling for help and initiating CPR are the first 2 steps, using an AED is third in the chain.

Timmay

I remember thinking at the time that if this person had been having a heart attach, he would have been dead before help arrived.

Why? Not all heart attacks are fatal, nor involve cardiac arrest. An AED is only useful in a certain type of cardiac arrest...V Fib.

wannab@dis

This has been asked in the past and I believe the answer was yes, they do. Not all CMs are trained to use it and I'm sure you realize that sometimes no matter how much help you have its of no use. Medical personnel arrive as quickly as possible, but travel takes time.

Calling for help and initiating CPR are the first 2 steps, using an AED is third in the chain.
Yes, they have AED's across the parks and there are many CM's trained in their usage. I remembered seeing an article about this recently and found it on their site...

http://wdwpublicaffairs.com/ContentDrillDown.aspx?DisplayItem=3bf2b25d-1f1a-4c88-a06d-19adb8d1bb6e

From the article... more than 5000 CMs are trained with 600 AED's in place and 250 more being added soon. This is at WDW and DLR.

DrewmanS

AEDs (Sorry - not trying to hijack thread)

Why? Not all heart attacks are fatal, nor involve cardiac arrest. An AED is only useful in a certain type of cardiac arrest...V Fib.

I understand that not all heart related problems are fatal and that AEDs are not useful in all circumstances. It was just that they now have AEDs in Airports, Malls, Schools, OfficeBuilding, etc. I had not seen any at WDW. Knowing that a thrill ride may cause heart problems, I wondered if AEDs were available at the parks.

I shared my experience to only illustrate that it takes time for EMTs to respond. In the case of a heart attach, an AED could be vital. I also do not mean to imply that an AED may have been of any use in the current incident.

DisneyYorkian74

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

The press definitely doesn't seem to be going overboard with this story.

Usually they'd make it their "Major News Story," create a 10 minute long clip showcasing it, then announce it another good 10 time throughout their hour and a half long newscast.

This seemed to be more of a sidestory rather than a main story like they made the prior Disney deaths that went on in 2005/2006.

I'm sure it wasn't Disney's fault and more of an "Act of God."

smk

Some people have no idea they have a heart condition, that is why there is still sudden death from a heart attack. I rode EE last year and had fun BUT I also rode Rock n' roll coaster and I thought I would die, I seriously think I stopped breathing for a minute, probably from being scared silly.

I have seen AED's everywhere in the parks and resorts. I am trained to use one but really anyone can, it is very easy to use. However, I know if you don't know about them, then the how to use them and why to use them, is lost. If you know what I mean......

So sad to have this happen to any family but to have it happen in WDW and around Christmas.....I don't know how I would cope. I am very sorry this happened. :cry:

bayoutinkbelle

The OS story wasn't sensational it was Channel 6 that said "featuring an 80 foot drop and speeds of up to 50 mph"

That was a bit sensational.

It's "sensational" to state these facts? Believe it or not, there probably will be some people reading these stories who never have been on EE.

That said, I'm sorry to hear of this. Condolences to his family.

echoscot

It's "sensational" to state these facts? Believe it or not, there probably will be some people reading these stories who never have been on EE.

That said, I'm sorry to hear of this. Condolences to his family.

It's the context that makes the difference.

Was the 80 foot drop relevant to his death, or the fact that it goes 50 mph?
That is speculation, but it sounds much more exciting to say a fast speed and a big drop and somebody dies...at least to my opinion that is sensational

I was pointing out the difference between their report and the OS.

The death is the first associated with the roller coaster Expedition Everest, which opened in early 2006. That ride includes tight twists and turns and some backwards travel but is not a particularly fast or steep roller coaster and has no loops.

Which is informative without the "OMG" factor.

bayoutinkbelle

Was the 80 foot drop relevant to his death, or the fact that it goes 50 mph? That is speculation, but it sounds much more exciting to say a fast speed and a big drop and somebody dies...at least to my opinion that is sensational

I was pointing out the difference between their report and the OS.

The death is the first associated with the roller coaster Expedition Everest, which opened in early 2006. That ride includes tight twists and turns and some backwards travel but is not a particularly fast or steep roller coaster and has no loops.

Which is informative without the "OMG" factor.

I've read both the OS and Local 6 articles and neither one of them questions whether the speed or drop was relevant. Both did state that those are features of the ride. Facts, not speculation. Looks like - with all due respect - that you're reading more into the reports than is there.

We weren't there, we aren't investigating; there's no way for us to know what happened. When the cause is determined, it will be released. All we can do through this forum is offer our condolences to the family.

My .02 cents.

DisneyGigi

I have a question. Has anyone watched the video on the Local 6 news with the article? Is that video of what happened today? :(

**edit** I rewatched and don't think it is, it says file video

KeeKee

Original Poster
Watched the local news at 6 p.m. (WESH/NBC) tonight. They mentioned the death on the Primeval Whirl and the one at RnR, but went on to say that the other death at AK was due to the CM being in a prohibited area, and that the little boy who died on RnR had an undiagnosed heart condition. It seemed very fair, to me, to report it this way.

KaliSplash

Stepping gently on the soap box:

When something like this happens, there usually is very little information initially. The media looks to background to help "fill out the story." What's immediately available? The speed of the coaster and the drop.

Obviously, a person is more likely to die on a roller coaster than in the Hall of Presidents. That's why it comes with warnings for people with heart conditions and the Hall of Presidents doesn't. And yes, the ride may have nothing to do with it. A person can die in the Hall of Presidents from a heart attack. A person can die in the parking lot or leaving the hotel. A tree can fall on you at your home.

But the reality is, death is unexpected at a Disney park, when a person is on vacation, at Christmas. All of these factors contribute to the 'tragedy' that the media like to focus upon. The media is taught to focus on stories that affect your emotions, your health, your wallet. These issues are more interesting than what happened at the zoning board last night.

At some point in the story, we'll get a rehash of the Mission:Space and Tower of Terror and etc.

Now stepping away from the soap box and away from the thread.

echoscot

Stepping gently on the soap box:

When something like this happens, there usually is very little information initially. The media looks to background to help "fill out the story." What's immediately available? The speed of the coaster and the drop.

Obviously, a person is more likely to die on a roller coaster than in the Hall of Presidents. That's why it comes with warnings for people with heart conditions and the Hall of Presidents doesn't. And yes, the ride may have nothing to do with it. A person can die in the Hall of Presidents from a heart attack. A person can die in the parking lot or leaving the hotel. A tree can fall on you at your home.

But the reality is, death is unexpected at a Disney park, when a person is on vacation, at Christmas. All of these factors contribute to the 'tragedy' that the media like to focus upon. The media is taught to focus on stories that affect your emotions, your health, your wallet. These issues are more interesting than what happened at the zoning board last night.

At some point in the story, we'll get a rehash of the Mission:Space and Tower of Terror and etc.

Now stepping away from the soap box and away from the thread.

My apologies, my initial comment was said with sarcasm and I got defensive...sorry.

Now as for people dieing in Hall of Presidents aren't most of them dead anyway?:rolleyes:

Tom Morrow

I went to AK tonight (I was planning on going anyway), and they eventually re-opened Expedition Everest from 6:00 to 6:30 pm. The attractions stayed open an additional 30 minutes since Everest was closed most of the day. I rode twice. Everything was normal, except they weren't running the usual number of trains, which I'm guessing is because the train the man rode in was pulled.

My guess is that all that will come of this is more health warning signs in the queue and and audible spiel announcing the health warnings like RNR and M:S have.
Watched the local news at 6 p.m. (WESH/NBC) tonight. They mentioned the death on the Primeval Whirl and the one at RnR, but went on to say that the other death at AK was due to the CM being in a prohibited area, and that the little boy who died on RnR had an undiagnosed heart condition. It seemed very fair, to me, to report it this way.
Well, did they really even have to mention those incidents? Were they related to this in any way? No. They only do it to sensationalize this situation, implying that this is a common thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom