Death on EE

KeeKee

Original Poster
Just saw this on the local news:

44-Year-Old Man Dies After Being Found Unresponsive On Disney Ride

Park Officials Say Ride Was Operating Properly

POSTED: 2:57 pm EST December 18, 2007
UPDATED: 3:18 pm EST December 18, 2007

A 44-year-old man died on Tuesday after being found unresponsive in the unloading area of a ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom, park officials said.
The man, who has not been identified, was discovered unresponsive after riding Expedition Everest, officials said.
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation was administered and there were no reported signs of trauma on the victim, Disney officials said through a release.

The man was transported to Celebration Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The attraction was inspected after the incident and was operating properly, Disney officials said.
The ride has been closed while park officials reconfirm proper operation of the ride, the release said.
The Orange County Sheriff's Office and the state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection were notified of the incident.
Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

KeeKee

Original Poster
You are correct - there is no debate here. I added this item as news not to debate anything. This is a terrible thing for any family to endure right before Christmas.

It also appears that WDW did everything within their power to handle the incident immediately.

I have to say, the one and only time I rode EE I got off of it feeling very wobbly and strange in the chest. I have a few minor heart issues that are asymptomatic, but didn't think it would be bothered by this ride. While I love the design of the EE attraction and LOVE the gift shop and all of the related themed areas, I won't chance riding it again. It is clearly not for folks with even minor heart problems.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I have to say, the one and only time I rode EE I got off of it feeling very wobbly and strange in the chest. I have a few minor heart issues that are asymptomatic, but didn't think it would be bothered by this ride. While I love the design of the EE attraction and LOVE the gift shop and all of the related themed areas, I won't chance riding it again. It is clearly not for folks with even minor heart problems.

Yes as it details on the rides warning signs, you should only ride if in good health, and not if you have any heart conditions.

An Update to the Article

44-Year-Old Man Dies After Being Found Unresponsive On Disney Ride
Park Officials Say Ride Was Operating Properly

POSTED: 2:57 pm EST December 18, 2007
UPDATED: 3:33 pm EST December 18, 2007

...Orange County sheriff's investigators said that Reed appeared to be conscious about 50 seconds before the conclusion of the ride because his photograph was taken as the coaster progressed toward the unloading area...

Funny how fast they change their wording...freaking press
UPDATED: 3:35 pm EST December 18, 2007

Orange County sheriff's investigators said that Reed appeared to be conscious about 50 seconds before the conclusion of the ride, which reaches speeds of 50 mph and features an 80-foot drop, because his photograph was taken as the coaster progressed toward the unloading area.

Billy6

it also states that someone passed while/after riding Downhill Double Dipper at BB(from Orlando Sentinal) this year...when did this happen??

KeeKee

Original Poster
Yes as it details on the rides warning signs, you should only ride if in good health, and not if you have any heart conditions.

You're right. I ride the other coasters like BTMR and SM without any problems, but EE left me with distinct impression that I might not make it. Learned my lesson...

echoscot

So does the ride usually close for the day while they inspect it or do they hurry to get it rolling again?

Uhmmm no, an incident like this will shut the attraction down until it can be deemed safe again. Usually 1-2 days, they try to move quickly, but with a death, they focus on being thorough. Usually when the Sheriff gets involved to investigate, other groups want a look too. Since this wasn't a "work" injury you won't see OSHA, like with Primeval Whirl a few weeks ago, but other groups may have a say.

So does the ride usually close for the day while they inspect it or do they hurry to get it rolling again?

In the past, they take a whole day, on into the night. I can't see disney skimping on safety procedures, they are always big on safety, no matter how the press portrays it. Everyone comes to inspect the rides, if i remember right, the State Bureau of Fair Rides makes in inspection as well (or they have in the past) They make sure it is safe and inspect the hell out of every single centimeter. That ride is SAFE when it is re-opened, and it won't open untill they deem it safe.

echoscot

In the past, they take a whole day, on into the night. I can't see disney skimping on safety procedures, they are always big on safety, no matter how the press portrays it. Everyone comes to inspect the rides, I can't remember who (its some themepark safety association idk) They make sure it is safe and inspect the hell out of every single centimeter. That ride is SAFE when it is re-opened, and it won't open untill they deem it safe.

You have some good points, but there is something I would like to point out. There is no overriding body that checks Theme Park or amusement safety. The parks are self-governing and there is debate in Congress to get legislation passed to change that. Disney has a higher standard than most others for what they accept, and there are some voluntary organizations that can be used, Disney works with some of them, to set and maintain certain standards.

On the Primeval Whirl, as I mentioned, OSHA was involved because that was an Employee accident which is overseen by that government organization.

Tom Morrow

Funny how fast they change their wording...freaking press
UPDATED: 3:35 pm EST December 18, 2007

Orange County sheriff's investigators said that Reed appeared to be conscious about 50 seconds before the conclusion of the ride, which reaches speeds of 50 mph and features an 80-foot drop, because his photograph was taken as the coaster progressed toward the unloading area.
I love how they feel they have to add the stats, so uninformed idiots can go "OMGZ! No WONDER he died!! Eighty feet?!"

Only a matter of time now before rumors of how unsafe Expedition Everest is pollute the public's mind.

I feel sorry for the guy, but the way the media handles these stories really ticks me off.

echoscot

I love how they feel they have to add the stats, so uninformed idiots can go "OMGZ! No WONDER he died!! Eighty feet?!"

Only a matter of time now before rumors of how unsafe Expedition Everest is pollute the public's mind.

I feel sorry for the guy, but the way the media handles these stories really ticks me off.

Where would the media be without sensationalism???:brick::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

pacochran

Sympathies to the family.

Sometimes though people get on a ride without knowing they have a heart condition. It's to bad, though to go having hopefully a good time in a place that you like, I wouldn't mind going doing something I loved, though not at such an early age.

I know last year when I got off RnRC I felt funny and decided not to do it this year, though I did EE, BTMRR and SM with no problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom