Dangerous Levels of Heat Index for Orlando (July 18 - Aug 3, 2022)

correcaminos

We were warned of possible rolling brown outs this summer in our county. First time I've ever had the electric company warn of the possibility here. (Indiana) I'll do fine but for DH it could be dangerous. Their only recommendation is to have alternative plans for cooling. If it was to get extreme, I know a few cave systems that stay a cool temp about 15 minutes from us. City pool has stopped operating past 5pm since covid started. They found out how much extra money they can make renting to private parties every evening vs open till 8pm.
Ours was unexpected. A storm caused damage to a main line (far away) and they didn't even warn us. Just pulled the plug to reduce the load. Some place had actual rolling black outs. So 4 hours on, 4 hours off. That way one could keep the house decent and not risk loosing food. We had just flat out black outs. Food was toast at that point. Other places (neighbors across the street) never once lost power. Pools had to be closed due to lack of power too. Our city created a cooling spaces but being spouse covid+ meant we couldn't go. Many hotels were sans power too so people couldn't even find safe spots to go. It was a hot mess and now investigations are being done as to why rolling black outs occured in rare few and total black outs for others and nothing for more people.

We're looking at generators at the moment and deciding if whole house vs small is okay.

correcaminos

That’s a great idea but not something I’ve ever seen in UK, or elsewhere in Europe for that matter. If you are in town center you may find a/c in a store or office where you can call off but I’ve never seen it advertised.

The UK is definitely not set up for heat. hospitals have had to cancel operations as the ORs are too hot and patients have been given ice lollies to stay cool.

Does anyone know how DLP is set up for heatwaves ? The hottest place I ever visited was Dubai where you had free ice lolly service at the pool, definetly needed here now!
To explain a little further... as I said during a power outage they created some in places that had power (viewing similarly as your area places that have AC vs not). These are not permanent places, but locations with power that had space to bring people in. So we had a massive event barn that opened its doors for people. Libraries with power welcomed. A science museum did too. Any large area that retained power and AC invited others in for free. Of course in our case they offered power to charge phones and such. Before my husband tested positive for covid, he and my kid went to a hotel so we paid for them to have AC and a hot shower because places had not opened yet for the public. Hope that makes sense.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does anyone know how DLP is set up for heatwaves ? The hottest place I ever visited was Dubai where you had free ice lolly service at the pool, definetly needed here now!
The same design details they built for the winter also help in summer - lots of shade and shaded queues, wide overhangs, lots of covered walkways. No ceiling fans or anything outside mind. This week they’ve set up misters in the parks and today have run fire hoses out with punctures in them.

Interiors of large stores, restaurants and attractions are climate controlled. Hotel rooms have thermostats you can dial down but it’s more cooled air as opposed to ice cold. It was more designed to heat the room up!

WDSPs cheapness isn’t as forgiving but there’s still a lot of shelter available as well as the majority of queues being covered aside from overflow rope lines.

Robbiem

To explain a little further... as I said during a power outage they created some in places that had power (viewing similarly as your area places that have AC vs not). These are not permanent places, but locations with power that had space to bring people in. So we had a massive event barn that opened its doors for people. Libraries with power welcomed. A science museum did too. Any large area that retained power and AC invited others in for free. Of course in our case they offered power to charge phones and such. Before my husband tested positive for covid, he and my kid went to a hotel so we paid for them to have AC and a hot shower because places had not opened yet for the public. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks makes perfect sense. Really great idea. I wish we would do more things like that here, there are lots of vulnerable people who could really benefit from a place like that

LittleBuford

I can't stand lukewarm drinks, yuck! Outside in the summer, you need ice in your cold drinks. :D

I always put an ice-cube in my glass of white wine and in the summer sitting outside, I'll often put an ice cube and a slice of orange in a glass of red wine!
I like cold drinks, too, but fridge-cold rather than ice-cold.

In terms of buying drinks (and I'm referring to non-alcoholic beverages), I find that the ice overload happens regardless of the weather. I usually preempt the issue by simply asking for no ice, though on one occasion, I was told I would be charged extra for the additional lemonade. That was my first and last time buying anything from that particular place.

LittleBuford

I’ve worked in restaurants back in the day. The ice machines hardly get cleaned from the inside and regularly build up with black mold inside. If one knew that one wouldn’t be getting their drink with ice cubes.
There was something horrifying on British TV a few years ago about the dirtiness of bar/restaurant ice. It doesn't bear thinking about.

correcaminos

I like cold drinks, too, but fridge-cold rather than ice-cold.

In terms of buying drinks (and I'm referring to non-alcoholic beverages), I find that the ice overload happens regardless of the weather. I usually preempt the issue by simply asking for no ice, though on one occasion, I was told I would be charged extra for the additional lemonade. That was my first and last time buying anything from that particular place.
Woah! I've never had that happen! My front teeth are super sensitive to cold so when drinking I prefer warmer drinks. My water comes from a filtered faucet and most of the year the natural temp is pleasing to me. I don't ask for no or lite ice to get more drink, just to not be so cold I need a straw (which I avoid unless reusable/compostable).

Thanks makes perfect sense. Really great idea. I wish we would do more things like that here, there are lots of vulnerable people who could really benefit from a place like that
I wonder if that is something that can be discussed with government officials? I wish I could say how it was started here, but I grew up with that in the summer when power was lost. It doesn't happen often but enough that it just happens now I think.

LittleBuford

Woah! I've never had that happen! My front teeth are super sensitive to cold so when drinking I prefer warmer drinks. My water comes from a filtered faucet and most of the year the natural temp is pleasing to me. I don't ask for no or lite ice to get more drink, just to not be so cold I need a straw (which I avoid unless reusable/compostable).
I like to get my money's worth, so that's a bonus of asking for no ice, but my main motivation (like yours) is to have a more pleasant drinking experience.

Purduevian

We're looking at generators at the moment and deciding if whole house vs small is okay.
Had a multi-day power outage at my house last year. Bought a 2500w portable generator the morning of the second day after my basement flooded. I was able to leave my fridge and sump pump plugged in. Additionally I could power a TV, lights, and laptop/switch chargers and a few fans.

To use the microwave I did unplug the fridge and sump pump for a few minutes, but I don't know if I really needed to.
I didn't have A/C, but everything else was pretty much up and running.

Edit: should also note I had a basement I could escape to and it wasn't like 90+ degree days. I think the highs during that time were upper 70s, low 80s. I was able to stay comfortable between the basement and opening windows and blinds at the right time.

Edit 2: I've also been debating hiring an electrician to to put my gas furnace on a standard plug so i could power central heat off of a generator. From my research it only takes ~600 watts.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Had a multi-day power outage at my house last year. Bought a 2500w portable generator the morning of the second day after my basement flooded. I was able to leave my fridge and sump pump plugged in. Additionally I could power a TV, lights, and laptop/switch chargers and a few fans.

To use the microwave I did unplug the fridge and sump pump for a few minutes, but I don't know if I really needed to.
I didn't have A/C, but everything else was pretty much up and running.
Good to know. Food loss was the worst. No fans was next for us. We might just stick with portable. With covid exposure, I was sticking to pick up options and sadly all were sold out locally. Now stock is better we're weighing all options

Lilofan

Ours was unexpected. A storm caused damage to a main line (far away) and they didn't even warn us. Just pulled the plug to reduce the load. Some place had actual rolling black outs. So 4 hours on, 4 hours off. That way one could keep the house decent and not risk loosing food. We had just flat out black outs. Food was toast at that point. Other places (neighbors across the street) never once lost power. Pools had to be closed due to lack of power too. Our city created a cooling spaces but being spouse covid+ meant we couldn't go. Many hotels were sans power too so people couldn't even find safe spots to go. It was a hot mess and now investigations are being done as to why rolling black outs occured in rare few and total black outs for others and nothing for more people.

Whole house generator which my family I visit has even saved the day of my family next door neighbor. The neighbors are 89 and 85 years old and have no generator. We ran a 100 foot extension cord to their garage for almost 2 weeks. . The neighbors could then power a few light bulbs, charge cell phones, run portable fans and power their fridge so they won’t ruin their food.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Good to know. Food loss was the worst. No fans was next for us. We might just stick with portable. With covid exposure, I was sticking to pick up options and sadly all were sold out locally. Now stock is better we're weighing all options
Two big benefits for whole home:

1) They can power the A/C in the summer or electric heat in the winter (if you have electric heat).
2) If you happen to be out of town for a couple of days when the outage happens, it will start up by itself so you don't lose food stored in the refrigerator and freezer.

Additionally, you don't have to go outside and set it up/start it so it can start running during severe weather. I had a portable generator and then hurricane Wilma knocked my power out for two weeks. After that, I started saving up for a whole home and it was one of the best decisions I have made. Of course, since I installed it in 2010, there has only been one multi-day outage but it was worth it for that one.

Lilofan

Two big benefits for whole home:

1) They can power the A/C in the summer or electric heat in the winter (if you have electric heat).
2) If you happen to be out of town for a couple of days when the outage happens, it will start up by itself so you don't lose food stored in the refrigerator and freezer.

Additionally, you don't have to go outside and set it up/start it so it can start running during severe weather. I had a portable generator and then hurricane Wilma knocked my power out for two weeks. After that, I started saving up for a whole home and it was one of the best decisions I have made. Of course, since I installed it in 2010, there has only been one multi-day outage but it was worth it for that one.
One warning Generac gave my family regarding whole house generator is the unit outside cannot be covered by snow and the surrounding pipes. There are exhaust vents in the exterior of the outside unit. If covered in snow the unit will malfunction. So at the snowfall my family uses shovels to dig around the unit to keep it clear. A whole house generator is a life saver and can be seen by neighbors and heard. The unit does make a sound 24/7 that can be easily heard by the neighbors but the unit does it’s job.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
That’s a great idea but not something I’ve ever seen in UK, or elsewhere in Europe for that matter. If you are in town center you may find a/c in a store or office where you can call off but I’ve never seen it advertised.

The UK is definitely not set up for heat. hospitals have had to cancel operations as the ORs are too hot and patients have been given ice lollies to stay cool.

In my city in Switzerland they have put out some covered benches with misters in a dozen neighborhoods where there is an older population (should probably be understood to mean neighborhoods where there is a concentration of nursing homes). It was apparently started last summer but I was unaware until they were featured in an article during last month’s heatwave.

I was in DLP last month on the hottest day, and as @marni1971 said, the castle park has quite a bit of shade so despite the heat it was tolerable. The Studios park was another story however; we walked slowly, took in a show to cool us down, and made sure to take a break and get something to drink.

Lilofan

I guess I shouldn’t have been following this thread…my AC went out today…
Don't be scammed by the AC repair techs. Some in my area say AC parts are on back order/ supply chain issues and try to up sell new unit that could be installed next day . It pays to shop around. I found another company that can get OEM part same week and they did not try to con me in buying a new $10K central air unit .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom