Dangerous Levels of Heat Index for Orlando (July 18 - Aug 3, 2022)

dreday3

If you have pets you can wet a towel with cold water and drape it on them! (or have them lay on it if they will)
When our power went out one summer during a nasty heatwave, we had to do that.

Our dogs at the time loved it. Our cat at the time....I still have the scars.

Scor1pion

I don't do well with heat. From Northeast US. I like it cold. Once it gets in the 50's F I am wearing shorts and t shirts, windows are open and heat is shut off. In the mid to high 60's the A/C is on. I keep the majority of my house around 70 F in the summer, my bedroom around 68. Any warmer then that and I can't sleep.

Good luck to all those experiencing the unusual heat wave. Stay hydrated.

correcaminos

And the UK had its hottest night ever.

80f outside at midnight here. 90 in the bedroom. And it’s now 90 outside again at 920am
Oof, so sorry. We recently had power outages during similar temps and it was rough. Closed up the house during the day with blinds and such. Opened at night. Run fans when you can and water on towels on your body if you feel lousy if you can. Hope it cools off soon!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oof, so sorry. We recently had power outages during similar temps and it was rough. Closed up the house during the day with blinds and such. Opened at night. Run fans when you can and water on towels on your body if you feel lousy if you can. Hope it cools off soon!
Thank you. It’s meant to cool off a bit tonight but in the meantime we just broke records

BE49F9B3-CE27-461A-A0C2-DE30FDFDF6F1.jpeg

DisneyCane

We took a quick trip up last Wednesday and Thursday to finally ride GotG and I was reminded why we stopped going during the peak of the summer a decade ago. The heat and humidity combo is miserable. We went to AK Thursday morning pretty much just to ride FoP. At least it was overcast when we arrived and a little breezy so the outdoor part of the queue was pretty comfortable. When we got off (there seemed to be operational issues that made the wait almost 3 hours even though the posted time was 1:45) it was brutally hot out. Since our only priority was FoP we decided to just go home rather than deal with the heat.

Disstevefan1

This is the "Heat Index" or the "Apparent Temperature."

For Orlando this week, it peeks around 2 PM each day with Apparent Temperature between 100 - 103 F. Hotter in other places of FL and rest of the U.S. (over 103 F).

View attachment 653991

View attachment 653992

The thing that worries me about this is the load on the electrical grid.

I think a long time ago in central Florida, there were scheduled "brown outs" to protect the grid. I have no Idea if there is any such of a problem today.

Lilofan

The American penchant for loading drinks with ice makes no sense to me. Often, more than half the drink is just frozen water, which feels like a scam when you’re paying for whatever it is you’re supposed to be drinking.
I’ve worked in restaurants back in the day. The ice machines hardly get cleaned from the inside and regularly build up with black mold inside. If one knew that one wouldn’t be getting their drink with ice cubes.

dreday3

The American penchant for loading drinks with ice makes no sense to me. Often, more than half the drink is just frozen water, which feels like a scam when you’re paying for whatever it is you’re supposed to be drinking.

I can't stand lukewarm drinks, yuck! Outside in the summer, you need ice in your cold drinks. :D

I always put an ice-cube in my glass of white wine and in the summer sitting outside, I'll often put an ice cube and a slice of orange in a glass of red wine!

Lilofan

For the price of an WDW 10 day vacation our family put off this enjoyment and instead bought a $12K Generac whole house generator. It has saved us numerous times when the power went out for at times days and one time 9 days , during snow/ice storms in winter and tornados, strong wind activity in summer that knocked down trees into electrical lines. Warm and toasty in the winter and AC cool and comfortable during the summer during power outages. The rewards and benefits surely outweighed the costs. And no food and drink to throw out with no power lost.

Jrb1979

I love the heat and can't stand winter. It's why we do our Florida vacation in winter. I would never go some where warm in summer as it's when we have our warm weather here.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just curios are you able to go anywhere that might have AC to cool off? We had cooling stations here when it occurred during no power and was curious if that's a thing where you are.
If I was at work and working inside yes. But long covid has seen to that. To be honest I’m concerned about my breathlessness so am just staying put in front of a fan. If all else fails my cars on the drive. Until it overheats! In theory it’ll be over by tonight but by god it’s odd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom