Dangerous Levels of Heat Index for Orlando (July 18 - Aug 3, 2022)

kingdead

We took a quick trip up last Wednesday and Thursday to finally ride GotG and I was reminded why we stopped going during the peak of the summer a decade ago. The heat and humidity combo is miserable. We went to AK Thursday morning pretty much just to ride FoP. At least it was overcast when we arrived and a little breezy so the outdoor part of the queue was pretty comfortable. When we got off (there seemed to be operational issues that made the wait almost 3 hours even though the posted time was 1:45) it was brutally hot out. Since our only priority was FoP we decided to just go home rather than deal with the heat.
I wonder if this is why Chapek is Cheapek with WDW--there's simply no way to sustain high levels of infrastructure in Florida under constant extreme heat. That and people won't want to go anyway.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
If I was at work and working inside yes. But long covid has seen to that. To be honest I’m concerned about my breathlessness so am just staying put in front of a fan. If all else fails my cars on the drive. Until it overheats! In theory it’ll be over by tonight but by god it’s odd.
We had a downpour over lunch.
Now it's not so hot but way more humid .😰😰😰

DisneyDebRob

For the price of an WDW 10 day vacation our family put off this enjoyment and instead bought a $12K Generac whole house generator. It has saved us numerous times when the power went out for at times days and one time 9 days , during snow/ice storms in winter and tornados, strong wind activity in summer that knocked down trees into electrical lines. Warm and toasty in the winter and AC cool and comfortable during the summer during power outages. The rewards and benefits surely outweighed the costs. And no food and drink to throw out with no power lost.
Sure, sounds like a better investment then that Disney trip but did you get a special cupcake with it? 😎

DisneyCane

I wonder if this is why Chapek is Cheapek with WDW--there's simply no way to sustain high levels of infrastructure in Florida under constant extreme heat. That and people won't want to go anyway.
Plenty of people wanted to go. It was really crowded. When we were leaving Dinosaur had a 50 minute wait. We didn't believe it so we walked over on the way out and discovered a huge outdoor queue area to the right in use that I never knew existed. We've ridden Dinosaur at least 200 times and we've never seen this area in use before (or even seen that it was there).

Figgy1

Premium Member
Orlando thread managed to now discuss UK heat. The posts do move off topic at times.
1 This is a UK site
2 Many members are on the other side of the pond than you
3 Paris (DLP) is also experiencing a heatwave
4 Members visit both parks
5 Members from the US are currently on the other side of the pond
6 IMHO all members should be supporting each other during these dangerous days

correcaminos

If I was at work and working inside yes. But long covid has seen to that. To be honest I’m concerned about my breathlessness so am just staying put in front of a fan. If all else fails my cars on the drive. Until it overheats! In theory it’ll be over by tonight but by god it’s odd.
That just makes it all worse to me. During our outage with 100F temps, my husband contracted covid. We live in a stand alone house with a basement so he was able to sleep down there comfortably. I don't think the basement got above 70F degrees ever. Dealing with illness (or lasting effects of) while hot is just plain miserable.

I fully understand why having this heat warning in Florida in July is kind of of laughable. Much like when we get it here normally (not power outages due to storms) or when they warn us of cold temps in Jan or Feb. The saying water's wet is appropriate. In that same breath I get why same temps in Europe are scary and hard on people. Just as same as us dealing with unfair outages (they cut our power to reduce loads while repairing in damaged areas, but instead of rolling 4 on and 4 hours off, the just cut flat out) during 100f temps. That's a whole different ballgame. At least my body does well in heat... most do not.

Last edited:

OneofThree

Florida is hot?!?!

I demand a refund!
Yes, yes it is. "There is nothing new under the sun."
I was born and raised in New England, but have lived here for 20 years now. Once April comes around, all bets are off in respect to the heat and oppressive dewpoints.

kingdead

Plenty of people wanted to go. It was really crowded. When we were leaving Dinosaur had a 50 minute wait. We didn't believe it so we walked over on the way out and discovered a huge outdoor queue area to the right in use that I never knew existed. We've ridden Dinosaur at least 200 times and we've never seen this area in use before (or even seen that it was there).
They want to go now, but once it's consistently 105 degrees every day? Dunno!

Patcheslee

That just makes it all worse to me. During our outage with 100F temps, my husband contracted covid. We live in a stand alone house with a basement so he was able to sleep down there comfortably. I don't think the basement got above 70F degrees ever. Dealing with illness (or lasting effects of) while hot is just plain miserable.

I fully understand why having this heat warning in Florida in July is kind of of laughable. Much like when we get it here normally (not power outages due to storms) or when they warn us of cold temps in Jan or Feb. The saying water's wet is appropriate. In that same breath I get why same temps in Europe are scary and hard on people. Just as same as us dealing with unfair outages (they cut our power to reduce loads while repairing in damaged areas, but instead of rolling 4 on and 4 hours off, the just cut flat out) during 100f temps. That's a whole different ballgame. At least my body does well in heat... most do not.
We were warned of possible rolling brown outs this summer in our county. First time I've ever had the electric company warn of the possibility here. (Indiana) I'll do fine but for DH it could be dangerous. Their only recommendation is to have alternative plans for cooling. If it was to get extreme, I know a few cave systems that stay a cool temp about 15 minutes from us. City pool has stopped operating past 5pm since covid started. They found out how much extra money they can make renting to private parties every evening vs open till 8pm.

Robbiem

Just curios are you able to go anywhere that might have AC to cool off? We had cooling stations here when it occurred during no power and was curious if that's a thing where you are.
That’s a great idea but not something I’ve ever seen in UK, or elsewhere in Europe for that matter. If you are in town center you may find a/c in a store or office where you can call off but I’ve never seen it advertised.

The UK is definitely not set up for heat. hospitals have had to cancel operations as the ORs are too hot and patients have been given ice lollies to stay cool.

Does anyone know how DLP is set up for heatwaves ? The hottest place I ever visited was Dubai where you had free ice lolly service at the pool, definetly needed here now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom