Dangerous Levels of Heat Index for Orlando (July 18 - Aug 3, 2022)

correcaminos

I’m a Londoner, and I don’t know a single family in the UK who has AC. I think it’s grossly overused here in the US—some spaces feel like fridges!
They do indeed! Granted I adore the heat and can be found in hoodies even in the mid/upper 80s, but Im also used to the heat. We grew up without central AC and just dealt in the summer. When we lost power after storms and temps right around 100 for a few days (nighttime was closer to 80) I was fine. So I stayed with pets while others left for power locations.

However i totally have no issues with AC existing in my region.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I heard on the news this morning that only 1 percent of people in the UK have air conditioning.. is this true? That blew me away when i heard it.
I’d be surprised if it was even 1%. Modern offices and shopping centres may have it, but it’s usually just a “mansion” type millionaires pad with AC. It isn’t the norm and even new build houses and flats don’t have it. We’re usually more concerned with staying warm in the winter.

Underfloor heating is considered “posh” and rare, and that’s more common than air con.

Brian

I did it just for you guys 😁
Thank you. Us Americans will measure with pretty much anything except the metric system.

Take for example:

283048245_3704941592963129_2829684511386002664_n.jpg

dreday3

A lot of apartments and houses in our Chicago neighborhood don't have central AC. Lot's of window units around.

Our 2-flat apartment building just got converted to central AC a couple of years ago.

In the mid-90s we had a heatwave where almost 600 died? Mass graves for the homeless. That's the year they learned from and now offer "cooling stations" for the homeless during heatwaves - libraries, schools, most government buildings. Also sometimes they will park air-conditioned buses for people to jump on and cool off.

Good luck all

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Thank you. Us Americans will measure with pretty much anything except the metric system.

Take for example:

View attachment 654084
It’s a mixed bag in the UK: we measure some things in metric (temperature, weight of groceries, dimensions of furniture) and others in imperial (road distances, waists, height). My favourite unit is the stone (equivalent to 14 pounds), which is used exclusively to measure a person’s weight.

Smugpugmug

I heard on the news this morning that only 1 percent of people in the UK have air conditioning.. is this true? That blew me away when i heard it.
Not the UK but I was living in Germany during a major heat wave a few years ago and my apartment didn't have AC. The university I was studying at didn't have AC in any of the buildings and the only places that did have AC were the American restaurants/shops like Mcdonalds and Subway. Students would camp out in the Mcdonalds until they were kicked out for not buying anything. It was miserable so I fully sympathize with those in Europe right now.

correcaminos

Oh, nor do I in mine! I certainly welcome it in the sweltering heat; I just think it’s often overused and set too cold!
Yep! People often ask if they need jackets/sweaters/sweatshirts at Disney in June and I'm like heck yeah, indoors! I only get odd looks when I don't remove them outside 🤣🤣

Last week we asked for a table outside and the person was like "oh I can put you by a window if not" and I was like, no the cold. She looked and me and laughed. She was in long sleeves and pants for a reason ;)

MickeyLuv'r

Take for example:

View attachment 654084
Laymen yes, but official measurements are done in metric.

The US officially uses the International System of Units (the SI or modern metric system) and has for many years. The International Bureau of Weights and Measures is located in Sèvres near Paris, France. (They hold the most official standards.) Though it is important to note the standards are no longer physical objects. The last to be replaced was the kilogram. It is no longer a chunk of metal.

As of May 2019, the kilogram, symbol kg, is now defined by taking the fixed numerical value of the Planck constant h to be 6.626 070 15 × 10-34 when expressed in the unit J s, which is equal to kg m2 s -1 , where the meter and the second are defined in terms of c and ∆νCs. The change was made because this constant is considered forever stable.

The meter is defined as the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second.

seven base units of the SI are:
meter - length
kilogram - mass
second - time
kelvin - temp
mole - molecular substance
ampere - electric current
candela - light intensity

MickeyLuv'r

It’s a mixed bag in the UK: we measure some things in metric (temperature, weight of groceries, dimensions of furniture) and others in imperial (road distances, waists, height). My favourite unit is the stone (equivalent to 14 pounds), which is used exclusively to measure a person’s weight.
The UK also belongs to BIPM and uses the SI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom