Dangerous Levels of Heat Index for Orlando (July 18 - Aug 3, 2022)

James J

In the Parks
No
It’s a mixed bag in the UK: we measure some things in metric (temperature, weight of groceries, dimensions of furniture) and others in imperial (road distances, waists, height). My favourite unit is the stone (equivalent to 14 pounds), which is used exclusively to measure a person’s weight.
Being a Brit living with an American wife, it feels like anything goes in my house. Even had to buy a measuring jug with 'cup' measurements on so now we can cater to both sides of the Atlantic...

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
You should have posted the temp in C that would make most US citizens get a chill! LOL
My husband is from Canada and he always teases me about my lack of knowledge in regards to the Metric system 😂😂 When I see 30, I always wanna go grab my winter coat!!

LittleBuford

Being a Brit living with an American wife, it feels like anything goes in my house. Even had to buy a measuring jug with 'cup' measurements on so now we can cater to both sides of the Atlantic...
I have to say that the American use of standard cup measurements for cooking is genius. As a child watching Sleeping Beauty, I mistakenly thought the cake recipe (which calls for three cups of flour, if I recall correctly) was trying to be pseudo-medieval, using a quaint measurement unrelated to modern practices. Only years later did I learn that cups are indeed a thing in American cooking! I find them a very convenient way of measuring my ingredients.

eliza61nyc

For those on the other side of the Atlantic who may not understand how unusual and worrying this is for Northern Europe—well, it’s very unusual and worrying! We’re simply not equipped to handle this kind of heat.
oh baby don't I know it, I was in Paris in 2019 and unfortunately in a very lovely small hotel without air. it was brutal. LOL what I really couldn't understand was how hard it was to get ice for my drink.

Anyhoo, I'm in Philly and it's not the heat that's killing us, it's this hellashish humidity. currently 72%. yuck, just yuck.

Lilofan

A lot of apartments and houses in our Chicago neighborhood don't have central AC. Lot's of window units around.

Our 2-flat apartment building just got converted to central AC a couple of years ago.

In the mid-90s we had a heatwave where almost 600 died? Mass graves for the homeless. That's the year they learned from and now offer "cooling stations" for the homeless during heatwaves - libraries, schools, most government buildings. Also sometimes they will park air-conditioned buses for people to jump on and cool off.

Good luck all
In the summer heat wave in France in 2003, over 15K people died.

eliza61nyc

The American penchant for loading drinks with ice makes no sense of me. Often, more than half the drink is just frozen water, which feels like a scam when when you’re paying for whatever it is you’re supposed to be drinking.
We've gotten spoiled with free refills. It's weird though because it's just with soda, rarely do I drink "happy juice" on the rocks.

the problem with high humidity though, is you have to keep the air on to keep the dehumidifier going so it actually gets cold.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Should any of you lot over there feel the need, and impress your friends and family to boot, a rough and ready formula for old money into new money (Fahrenheit into Celsius / centigrade) is subtract 30 then half it.

Similarly, double it and add 30 to go from c to f. Its a couple of degrees out the hotter you go but a very good approximation.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Yep! People often ask if they need jackets/sweaters/sweatshirts at Disney in June and I'm like heck yeah, indoors! I only get odd looks when I don't remove them outside 🤣🤣

Last week we asked for a table outside and the person was like "oh I can put you by a window if not" and I was like, no the cold. She looked and me and laughed. She was in long sleeves and pants for a reason ;)
Ppl gave me the side eye walking around Potter areas last June with my robe on and bundled up lol. Normal for me to have 2 pullovers for vacation, and leggings to wear under shorts for cool mornings. I've already worn shorts to work 4 times this year and the normal reaction from coworkers is "oh h*ll it's gonna be miserable today isn't it?"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It’s a mixed bag in the UK: we measure some things in metric (temperature, weight of groceries, dimensions of furniture) and others in imperial (road distances, waists, height). My favourite unit is the stone (equivalent to 14 pounds), which is used exclusively to measure a person’s weight.
It's a mixed bag in the US, too. We measure plastic bottles of soda in liters and everything else in imperial!!

Aurorafan

They are saying 103 is dangerous levels of heat? Our air temp has been hotter than that. We had 111 with a feels like of 117 two Sundays ago. It's miserable.

Lilofan

Let's say you're an elederly person with no A/C. Or you're working landscaping mowing lawns outside all day long.

It can kill you.
A number of years ago a crew spent 3 days 8-4pm , replacing my home roof with a new one. The outside temp was close to 100 degrees and up on the roof must have felt hotter . I told them in Spanish if they needed to use my bathroom just ring my doorbell. The crew only took about a 20 min lunch break and sat in their work truck eating their lunch that had no AC. The truck never left my driveway and they never asked to use my bathrooms. These guys from Central America were extremely hard working and efficient. The roofers wore clothing from head to toe with only their eyes and mouth exposed to protect them from the intense rays of the sun.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A number of years ago a crew spent 3 days 8-4pm , replacing my home roof with a new one. The outside temp was close to 100 degrees and up on the roof must have felt hotter . I told them in Spanish if they needed to use my bathroom just ring my doorbell. The crew only took about a 20 min lunch break and sat in their work truck eating their lunch that had no AC. The truck never left my driveway and they never asked to use my bathrooms. These guys from Central America were extremely hard working and efficient. The roofers wore clothing from head to toe with only their eyes and mouth exposed to protect them from the intense rays of the sun.
Which goes to show infrastructure - and people - have varying levels of tolerance depending on location and design.

Luton airports runway melted yesterday.

In short, heat can be deadly for regions prepared for it, let alone unprepared.

Lilofan

Which goes to show infrastructure - and people - have varying levels of tolerance depending on location and design.

Luton airports runway melted yesterday.

In short, heat can be deadly for regions prepared for it, let alone unprepared.
Yes , a major city like Paris in 2003, a number of residents died during the heat wave in 2003.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom