DAK Needs More Than Blue Aliens

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The original concept of a "live" version of the jungle cruise would have been great.

What about Kilimanjaro keeps it from being just that? The change of vehicles? The lack of humor?
I, personally, see it as how Walt envisioned the Jungle Cruise. Originally it wasn't supposed to be funny, but it just worked better that way with animatronics.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What about Kilimanjaro keeps it from being just that? The change of vehicles? The lack of humor?
I, personally, see it as how Walt envisioned the Jungle Cruise. Originally it wasn't supposed to be funny, but it just worked better that way with animatronics.
I love the safari. The main thing that keeps it from being a "live" jungle cruise is that it isn't a boat. Some of the original plans for Asia included a more elaborate boat ride that included viewing of live animals. It was cut down to Kali River Rapids. I think a boat road that includes live animals (from Earth) would be a cool addition and another way to combine rides and animals.

Suspirian

Without significant management changes I do not see anything truly animal related going into the park unless it is related to a Disney property. It will be about characters who are animals, not the real animals.

Ehhh i still have hope that they'll add some originals. They're limited in what they can use as far as films go anyway...unless they build some more continent lands

FigmentJedi

I think this sounds awesome. I know nothing about this Lumberjack folklore, but just a quick search on the net seems cool. Probably too obscure for Disney to consider unfortunately but I like the thinking. I think Bigfoot is easier to use due to more awareness in the general popular (though it does have the drawback of being similar to the Yeti already used in the park), but I'd love me a Hodag in DAK.
The Hide Behind found its way into Gravity Falls at least.

CDavid

You know, I just re-read the article from the OP and it says this:

Is it true that only "little more than half" is going to Avatar? Let's say $450M is going to build Pandora -- which is actually consistent with numbers mentioned here during the contentious negotiations with Cameron. That's still a good bit and could build some impressive stuff, one would hope.

But what is going on with the "little less than half" (for the sake of argument, say $350M) for the rest of the park? That's a heck of a lot of money for a night show, night safaris and general infrastructure improvements, isn't it? Anyone have any idea what else it might entail? More restaurants? Is it possible that actual attractions might be on table?

Good question. The Lion King theater relocation may well be included in that 'other' figure, but even then, with that size budget if we aren't talking additional, non-Avatar related attraction(s), they're really missing the boat on this expansion.

JimboJones123

TubaGewant lipost: 5890826 said:
I'm worried about keeping Kilimanjaro open later. It seems to me that the only way to make it work would be to close it at dusk to bring the regular animals in, then fill the ride with nocturnal animals. I'm not sure what the plan is, but I don't think it's that. Even then, there will be one hell of a learning curve as they learn how animals react to being in an environment like that.
Do you really want lights flashing at animals after dark? Sounds cruel and unnecessary.

JimboJones123

I'm wondering how they're going to create walk around characters because lets face it, this is disney and my god if little Susie and tommy can't meet the characters parents will be abitchin'.

Maybe Cameron is developing characters that can be turned into costumed or face actors for the sequels. I just don't see how they're gonna pull off a Na'vi actor on stilts with neck and arm extensions. They're not universal (the transformers. C'mon. Coolest costumes ever.)

Also does anyone know how to program a word into iPad so it'll auto abbreviate? I'm already sick of typing out Na'vi.
And will they were transparent clothes so we can see alien ?

JimboJones123

That is a real shame. AK (in concept) is by far my favorite of the 4 parks. The seemless merging of live animals and theme park rides makes it a one of a kind. There is so much potential to incorporate animals into future expansions that would far exceed characters. The original concept of a "live" version of the jungle cruise would have been great.
I disagree. Busch Gardens does much of this better than AK.

Ignohippo

ditto. But I don't agree they do it better. The enclosures at AK seem to much larger and much better for the animals. The tons of shade and jungle setting at AK makes it seem much more natural as well.

Busch Gardens seems to me that the animal parts are zoo, the rides are rides. At AK, IMO it's much more cohesive and comes together as one park much better.

Last edited:

Suspirian

I'm wondering how they're going to create walk around characters because lets face it, this is disney and my god if little Susie and tommy can't meet the characters parents will be abitchin'.

Maybe Cameron is developing characters that can be turned into costumed or face actors for the sequels. I just don't see how they're gonna pull off a Na'vi actor on stilts with neck and arm extensions. They're not universal (the transformers. C'mon. Coolest costumes ever.)

Also does anyone know how to program a word into iPad so it'll auto abbreviate? I'm already sick of typing out Na'vi.

Maybe they could take some creative liberties and make the characters use pants made of the same loin cloth material to conceal stilts.

harlock2977

Fair enough but being a scotsman and enjoying haggis (start the haggis jokes) probably explains a lot about my dour nature ... :)
I have had haggis quite a few times and enjoyed it. When I lived in New Orleans, I had neighbors who were originally from Scotland and made it every year for their New Years Eve party. They weren't nearly as angry or thrifty as you might expect Scots to be....

GoofGoof

Premium Member

We can agree to disagree then. I'm not putting down Busch Gardens. It is what it is, but is lacking in the seemless part of blending animals and theme park rides. To me it seems more like a zoo attached to an amusement park. Six Flags Great Adventure has an animal section too, but it's not on par with AK. Really Sea World is the better example of a more seemless integration, but with sea animals. Even their visible coasters like Manta have enough theme to blend in.

Fox&Hound

My top 10 wish list for additions to AK (I can dream, right?????):

1. Mystic Manor, restaurant, and shops
2. Lion King Ride-yes, please
3. "Up" Area with Paradise Falls where you enter Carl's house and Carl, Russel, and Dug take you on a flight
4. Chip and Dale Critter Area: Chip and Dale Treehouse, Meet and Greet, Log Flume ride like Splash but with Chip and Dale and Donald Duck
5. Bring out more rare Disney animal characters: Robin Hood cast, Aristocrats, Mushu, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book
6. Maleficent dragon coaster. Stone castle surrounded with thorns. Prince Phillip and Fairies help you rescue Aurora
7. Tinkerbell Fairytale Hollow thing could be a neat addition. Meet and Greet and play area
8. MORE RESTAURANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9. Add more animal educational aspects. More information about the animals you are viewing
10. Tear down Chester and Hesters and do something respectable with the awesomeness of Dinosaurs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom